2020 Ram 1500 5.7 eTorque, Mobil 1 5W-20, 3200 miles

C8F83911-042D-4037-95EC-B2C120ADFAA4.jpeg

First run of M1 5W-20. Mix of city and highway driving. Prior service intervals have been around 3K.

The oil cooler was replaced ~5k prior to this sample.

Copper makes sense with the new oil cooler. Warranty issue?

Do you feel the Iron is slightly high for a shorter run? Or is it a normal Hemi number?

Just outta curiosity… cause I’m bored and service these Rams regularly… what was the remaining oil life @ when you drained it? 🤔

Just outta curiosity… cause I’m bored and service these Rams regularly… what was the remaining oil life @ when you drained it? 🤔
Mine usually ticks off 1% every 100 miles, so ~68%.

Copper makes sense with the new oil cooler. Warranty issue?

Do you feel the Iron is slightly high for a shorter run? Or is it a normal Hemi number?
Oil cooler was leaking. It took 3 oil coolers before finding one that did not leak.

Not sure on the Iron.

If I missed it, I apologize but what mobile 1 are you using, the regular synthetic, the truck and SUV, the extended performance, what?

I dunno, I was always told that the oil life meter on these trucks goes by some silly algorithm that wasn’t worth paying much attention to other than the neat little feature that counts the miles whenever you reset it.

But since you asked about his, I always thought it was awful strange that before I did my last oil change, I ran Amsoil SS 5w20 with their 15k-mile oil filter for one year and 6400 miles and my OLM was down to 20%. When I ran whatever full synthetic the dealer put in for the truck’s first oil change and the three oil changes I did after on Pennzoil Ultra Premium/Platinum, whatever it’s called, the mileage was a little higher and the percentage didn’t go down that far.

Currently been running the Schaefers 9000 Extreme 5w20 for 3400 miles/7 months, my OLM now is only down to 58%.

I dunno, I was always told that the oil life meter on these trucks goes by some silly algorithm that wasn’t worth paying much attention to other than the neat little feature that counts the miles whenever you reset it.

But since you asked about his, I always thought it was awful strange that before I did my last oil change, I ran Amsoil SS 5w20 with their 15k-mile oil filter for one year and 6400 miles and my OLM was down to 20%. When I ran whatever full synthetic the dealer put in for the truck’s first oil change and the three oil changes I did after on Pennzoil Ultra Premium/Platinum, whatever it’s called, the mileage was a little higher and the percentage didn’t go down that far.

Currently been running the Schaefers 9000 Extreme 5w20 for 3400 miles/7 months, my OLM now is only down to 58%.
The OLM is supposed to take engine operating conditions into consideration. Oil temps, idle times, driving cycle, etc.

Mine has always allowed for the maximum 10K intervals. You must idle your truck a lot?

The OLM is supposed to take engine operating conditions into consideration. Oil temps, idle times, driving cycle, etc.

Mine has always allowed for the maximum 10K intervals. You must idle your truck a lot?
I do take advantage quite a bit of my remote start but I also do a lot of short trips, too. Maybe that’s why but still, that’s just weird that the percentage went that low on the Amsoil.

I do take advantage quite a bit of my remote start but I also do a lot of short trips, too. Maybe that’s why but still, that’s just weird that the percentage went that low on the Amsoil.
OLM has no knowledge of the oil inside the engine. It is very possible that your driving conditions have become more severe.

Also, using the remote start is probably not great for your engine. Rumor is that HEMI’s have poor oiling at idle. I haven’t been able to verify this claim, but there might be some truth to it.

OLM has no knowledge of the oil inside the engine. It is very possible that your driving conditions have become more severe.

Also, using the remote start is probably not great for your engine. Rumor is that HEMI’s have poor oiling at idle. I haven’t been able to verify this claim, but there might be some truth to it.
It’s really not, but hopefully using a better full synthetic and a much better oil filter with sooner oil changes is paying off.

That claim is part of the lifter failure mythos, I don't give it much thought. Both our vehicles get remote started pretty much every day through the winter, if there was a correlation or if this issue existed, we'd see far more failures in northern climates, but we don't.

On the OLM, you are absolutely correct, it is similar to the GM one and uses an algorithm that factors in how the vehicle is being used to determine the length/rate of decline. Ours has never gotten close to 10,000 miles.

That claim is part of the lifter failure mythos, I don't give it much thought. Both our vehicles get remote started pretty much every day through the winter, if there was a correlation or if this issue existed, we'd see far more failures in northern climates, but we don't.
I dunno, I’ve heard of this being a contributor in a lot of police vehicles that idle a lot and supposedly the idle rpm was raised a little bit just to increase oil pressure to the back of the engine but I have nothing to prove that other than here-say.
On the OLM, you are absolutely correct, it is similar to the GM one and uses an algorithm that factors in how the vehicle is being used to determine the length/rate of decline. Ours has never gotten close to 10,000 miles.
The highest mine had ever gotten was around 7600 miles and that was on the second-to-last time I ran the PUP 5w20.

Back