Fast food joints, do we need them

If all the fast food places close, would we all go crazy,,,we did not go crazy in the 50s when they were few and far between,,,so whats the big deal,,,eat at home, now there's a thought,,we are lazy IMHO,,,ok,,lets go get a burger,lol.

1) You are old, you have time, your kids are all grown up
2) Fast food is a broad range, many fast foods are actually fine (i.e. fast casual), not all are unhealthy, even McDonalds are ok if you skip soda, fries, super size, etc.
3) Many American home cooked foods are just as unhealthy, i.e. Alfredo and Mac & Cheese.

Many people would starve without McDonalds. I eat them weekly and I'm probably healthier than 80% of people here who demonize it. That said, I only eat McDouble and McChicken, split a large fries among 3 people, never drink soda. They probably would close if everyone is like me.

1) You are old, you have time, your kids are all grown up
2) Fast food is a broad range, many fast foods are actually fine (i.e. fast casual), not all are unhealthy, even McDonalds are ok if you skip soda, fries, super size, etc.
3) Many American home cooked foods are just as unhealthy, i.e. Alfredo and Mac & Cheese.

Many people would starve without McDonalds. I eat them weekly and I'm probably healthier than 80% of people here who demonize it. That said, I only eat McDouble and McChicken, split a large fries among 3 people, never drink soda. They probably would close if everyone is like me.

Everything in moderation of course.

Good food doesn't cost a whole lot more than fast food.
It is the time and convenience. You are in and out of drive through if you are in a hurry for meal. I have 15 mins to prepare a meal for 3 during lunch time every day, after my morning meeting is over and before kids' lunch hour is over. I work till 11pm at night sometimes and you have to think about a lot of cooking time and shopping time if you cook.

Once in a while you need something fast and cheap, and something kids will eat. Just let them only pick a dollar menu cheese burger and no fries no soda (ok, maybe share fries 3 ways). It is fine. You can come live with us and cook for us if you would like to help out.

fast food is even worse to todays highly processed food!!! besides most people overeating, the xtra snacks + toxic drinks aka sodas etc type II diabetes caused by yourself, overeating + drinking + poor food choices are slowly killing many!!! take a look at Dr Sten Ekburgs vids for a full explanation of "how the body works" + how to fix it + he shows the explosion of illnesses caused by insulin NOT sugar which we are led to believe, as every rise in blood sugar requires insulin to control UNTIL it CAN'T, then patients are given more insulin the real problem that is slowly killing many!!
You are mixing 2 issues here:

1) Overeating: you are responsible for what you order. If you overeat in a sit down restaurant or cook at home you have the same problem. Cheesecake Factory is worse than Chipotle (sort of fast food) for sure.

2) Highly processed: you can also be eating highly processed food at home (TV dinner, can food) vs fast casual or fast style food. You get what you pay for. There is a demand for $1.25 cheese burger and there is a demand for $9 cheese burger, but you cannot expect everyone to pay $9 for a burger because a lot of people cannot afford it, and they also cannot afford to have a housewife cooking at home.

We meal prep for days at a time. Our dinner tonight is leftover casserole that we made Tuesday, had for lunch yesterday, and finishing it off tonight. I'm making a bit pot of chili tomorrow that'll feed us a few meals early next week.

When I was working 6-12s at the nuke plant, my wife would prepare meals for me for work. For example, a grilled chicken breast and some steamed broccoli, vacuum sealed, tossed in my lunch box, and I just have to heat it up. Our kids love chicken breasts so we'd cook or bake several breasts, cut them into nuggets, vacuum seal, and toss them in the freezer. Our 9 year old can take a pack of 10 grilled nuggets out of the freezer and put them in the air fryer for a few minutes to heat them up. The air fryer gets a good bit of use in our house.

I think back in the 50's there were different chains like Howard Johnsons, but those were sit down restaurants and fast food is cheaper and actually made on the spot. I think one of the reason for the demise of Howard Johnsons was that they had their food come from a central kitchen and not made on site. Competition from places like McDonalds put them out of business or mostly out, there's just one left.
Howard Johnsons are just fast food with waiters and sit-down of their time. I'm sure if you were old in the 50s you would complained that Howard Johnsons were watering down what restaurants should be and serve left over all day every day.

We meal prep for days at a time. Our dinner tonight is leftover casserole that we made Tuesday, had for lunch yesterday, and finishing it off tonight. I'm making a bit pot of chili tomorrow that'll feed us a few meals early next week.

When I was working 6-12s at the nuke plant, my wife would prepare meals for me for work. For example, a grilled chicken breast and some steamed broccoli, vacuum sealed, tossed in my lunch box, and I just have to heat it up. Our kids love chicken breasts so we'd cook or bake several breasts, cut them into nuggets, vacuum seal, and toss them in the freezer. Our 9 year old can take a pack of 10 grilled nuggets out of the freezer and put them in the air fryer for a few minutes to heat them up. The air fryer gets a good bit of use in our house.

Planning meals for a few days in advance is key. Busy family? 4-5lb chicken breast pack covers 2 days. Day 1 grill chicken (BBQ or buffalo sauce or even mango habanero at times). Rest of the chicken in a crock pot with whatever seasoning and low sodium chicken broth. When done shred it like pork. Kids put it on ciabatta rolls, in wraps, on a salad....

With some forethought, it's easier.

Yes we do need FF joints. I look forward to my once a week trip to one of the FF emporiums. Don't know about you but I get tired of eating my own cooking. Once a week even a McRib is tasty. My fav is the Baconator at Wendy's. A weird tidbit is that when I did eat a lot of FF, I weighed the least I have since quitting smoking. I guess it was the portion control aspect that helped. You know a Big Mac has only 510 calories, a 100 less if you scrape off some of the "secret sauce"

Last edited:
Definitely convenient. I only have McDonald’s a few times a year. The wife and I love Chick Fil A or however you spell Jesus chicken, but there isn’t one local. We probably haven’t had it in almost 2 years.

If you’re using fast food several times a week to feed your family, you might want to rethink things. Cost alone is a deal breaker.

Back in the 50’s, wasn’t fast food the thing? A bunch of kids/ family cruising on main street in the family sedan to the local burger place. I come of a small town and even they had that sort of thing.

The Chinese also eat bat..

How well did that work out?
53516BA4-63ED-4405-B13B-8576B0F98A09.jpeg

The Chinese also eat bat..

How well did that work out?
They basically eat anything that moves. I remember working at a company that was trying to do a deal in China and as the boss was the honored guest, they offered him the shell of a turtle to eat. I think he said it was ok, but everyone in the office was laughing about that afterwards and were glad they weren't the boss.

They even eat dogs, I think there was a NY Times article about it years ago. Trolling is pretty universal, at the end of the article the vendors would taunting those trying to save the dogs by telling them they were dog lovers too, dog meat lovers.

I have a good friend from South Korea. They eat dog, but he doesn’t care for it. Too chewy.

Apparently it was the US troops who encouraged them to eat dog. People were starving during the Korean War and they had many feral dogs.

They breed a dog specifically for meat. Jin Do I think is how you spell it.

I like Chipotle type of meals, but really not wanting to cook rice, chicken, beans , onions and peppers.

Its easier to place order on Uber Eats than spend time cooking.

I have a good friend from South Korea. They eat dog, but he doesn’t care for it. Too chewy.

Apparently it was the US troops who encouraged them to eat dog. People were starving during the Korean War and they had many feral dogs.

They breed a dog specifically for meat. Jin Do I think is how you spell it.

Down in Florida they are slaughtering horses for their meat that some people enjoy eating.

Google if you think I’m kidding around.

Back