Fast food joints, do we need them

Convenient but what nutrition is there in the fast foods?
You need to first compare fast food to other take out options. $1 ingredient should be compare to $10 fast food for nutritional values. You cannot compare $1 fast food with $1 grocery purchase, maybe you can compare $1 TV dinner vs $1 fast food or $1 vending machine food or $1 gas station deli, that's probably a fair comparison.

The Chinese also eat bat..

How well did that work out?

French eat escargo (snail), they are fine. Indian vegetarians think we are disgusting eating most meat (pork especially), what do you feel about eating pork? What do you think people feel about you eating pork in India?

Anyways, my point is, what is disgusting vs not is totally cultural instead of health related. IMO eating rare steak is disgusting, more than eating well done dog or well done bat (I don't eat either). I like my meat slow cooked and well done.

Fast food joints are part of the culture. They are necessary for many people, they provide jobs and are a part of culture and growing up for many.

I prefer a home cooked meal, bit hey who doesn't like a pizza or burger once and a while.

Remember this video

Do people work and travel more or less than in the 50's?
Starting in the late 60s, I traveled many thousands of miles by car. Drove NYC to San Francisco several times, made numerous multi-state trips, drove to Alaska, drove across several provinces of Canada, toured Nova Scotia ... numerous trips to specific destinations as well as meandering driving vacations. Rarely used fast food places on those trips, rather, sought out local restaurants and cafés ... sometimes finding amazing local food.

In the fifties I lived in NY, stayed close to home until 1959 when I started driving. At that time there were no fast food places like there are now. There were, however, drive-ins, where we'd roll down the window, get a tray of food delivered and hung on the door by "car hops," usually high school girls working part time. Burger, fries, and a shake!

This pandemic has sent us back to the local fast food places, quick and easy, no contact food ... we like Burger King and use their coupons.

I just don't understand what it would accomplish. The issue is not necessarily the food they serve, rather the fact that some people just can't control their cravings. Taking fast food away would only drive those people to other things, that are just as processed but not as convenient, such as frozen foods or individually packaged foods. Neither of which are any better (maybe even worse) than what you get at a fast food restaurant. In the meantime, you're simply taking away an option for people who are on the road, or otherwise unavailable to be home to cook, in an effort to control other people's lives. History has proven that this isn't the best way to approach problems.
Fast food has been tested, and fine tuned to be as addictive as possible. You should read “Salt, Sugar, Fat”

I remember when we didn't have them. Think I had my first McDonald who hash in about 1958. It was a window service only choke and puke. First time actually going into a Macs was in about 1972/3

And they're proud of it too. I've run into people who said they don't care about a nice stove, just needs to have a microwave because that's all they use to reheat their food.

That's why the great nation that we are is also one of the most obese,having the most heart disease cases,etc.

I prefer to eat healthy because you'll pay for the abuse of your body later in life.

That's why the great nation that we are is also one of the most obese,having the most heart disease cases,etc.

I prefer to eat healthy because you'll pay for the abuse of your body later in life.
That might be part of it, but the people I mentioned don't use a stove for that reason. They're just high income people with little time and kids so it's mostly either take out or restaurants. They are not overweight though I don't know about their other numbers.

That might be part of it, but the people I mentioned don't use a stove for that reason. They're just high income people with little time and kids so it's mostly either take out or restaurants. They are not overweight though I don't know about their other numbers.

Eating out constantly? Yeah I'd love to see their blood work.Just because a person isn't overweight they usually will have some form of an unhealthy heart risk, like high cholesterol or high blood pressure.

Had my 1st MacD in Columbia MO in 1965 and should have bought shares when they became available. Prefer local diners or Mom and Pop now. My Dad took me to first truck stop in 1954 at 3 AM and was smitten by a gorgeous waitress. Most of the drivers were WW 2 vets at that time.

Had colt steak in Spain.
Had camel steak in Saudi Arabia
Had dog and balut in the Phlippines
Had eel in Hong Kong
Had goat in Morocco
Kangaroo in Oz
Had rattlesnake in South Dakota
Had alligator in Florida

After enough beer it all tasted remarkably like 🐓
I've had horse before, it's not too bad.

I was told his name was "Fritz."

Last edited:
Fast food has been tested, and fine tuned to be as addictive as possible. You should read “Salt, Sugar, Fat”

That's the same for all restaurant foods and grocery we buy from the store.

When was the last time you buy something because they are nutritious instead of taste good and cheap? I don't think I did. There is a reason we sell more hot dogs than kale in grocery stores.

Back