Fail-Pro Gaskets

IMG_8392.jpeg
IMG_8393.jpeg

My dad called me and said his Previa was pouring oil. Since the complaint was coming from a person who typically ignores most vehicle issues, it warranted an investigation.

10 months and 2500 miles ago, I resealed the valve cover using a Fel-Pro VS50386R kit. I have a longtime policy of not using Fel-Pro to seal in any liquids, but I violated my own policy…and now I get to redo it again.

The Valve Cover gasket is pouring oil and all four spark plug tube seals are dripping.

And yes, I re-checked all of the fasteners - they are tight, so this isn’t a case of gasket shrinkage. Interestingly enough, the valve cover was bone dry for 10 months, then it suddenly started leaking.

Last edited:
The last Fel Pro part I bought was a 93 Tercel valve cover gasket and it was as too malformed to use. It just wouldn’t fit so I had to throw it out and get something better.

We've seen a run on Fel-pro stuff needing warranty replacement come through the shop recently too. A handful of sets of valve cover gaskets, and a couple of rear main seals as well. Decided from then on out OE rear main seals were the only good option, and have gone to either Mahle or Victor Reinz, or OE for other gaskets. Sorry you're having to dig back into it.

When dealing with any part that is not OE research and due diligence is needed to avoid the bad ones. Generally Elring bought in Germany for Euro vehicle is likely to be made in Germany and is the OE supplier but never buy one for a Japanese car or most Euro cars sold in other markets, it is usually trash. When in doubt OE.
This one is safe and high quality..

This one I wouldn't touch with a 10ft pole.

From a DIY shade tree mechanic perspective, did Fel-Pro used to be a go-to after market company that has fallen from grace, similar to how MOOG and Timken have become questionable? I used a Fel-Pro transmission gasket over a dozen years ago and it was a very stout, high quality product.

Or is Trav hinting that some of Fel-Pro products are o.k., but you have to do due diligence to figure out which ones are good (with any brand)?

When dealing with any part that is not OE research and due diligence is needed to avoid the bad ones. Generally Elring bought in Germany for Euro vehicle is likely to be made in Germany and is the OE supplier but never buy one for a Japanese car or most Euro cars sold in other markets, it is usually trash. When in doubt OE.
This one is safe and high quality..

This one I wouldn't touch with a 10ft pole.

+1

I've read from a Euro shop owner who was high on Elring VC and VC gaskets from China but has since soured a couple of months later a they were having to re-do the work. Lemforder has also moved some manufacturing to China. My guess is that these companies have decided to use lower cost manufacturing for their aftermarket channel in order to boost margins and the quality control isn't there. Kudos to FCP Euro for not calling that Elring gasket package "OE".

Back