Extended OCI : "Just Say No" - If You Drive GDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
Originally Posted By: Trav
I just did 10,000 miles on an Ecoboost with MC 5w-20. The oil life monitor was down to 2%.

I hope the engineers know what they are doing.

Fixed it. They probably do but unfortunately they are not the only ones involved in making that decision.

Please do not change the words in my quote. That is not what I said.
If you're running an EB to 2% on the OLM, you'll have much bigger problems than him changing the words in your post. You'll be at the Ford dealer with me fighting to get another one of their design flaws fixed!

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
The first reason is the fuel dilution issue of GDI engines as by 3,000 ~ 4,000 miles after an oil change - it becomes a significant consideration .

So you're advocating a 2500 mile OCI to be safe or can we dare go to 3000?

If you think a high output, twin turbo charged engine can safely go 7000-10,000 OCI's you're crazy! Especially if you're running a 20WT water! And all you guys that believe "the engineers know what they're doing" LOL LOL LOL!! don't you realize the amount of arm twisting the engineers are subject to? They have the LAST say in most things! EPA/CARB/CAFE rule the roost!!

Not only are we talking about how hard new GDI systems are on oils, but you compound it with turbos!! Keep on running that 0W20 or 5W20 for 7-10k miles and you'll find yourself back at the dealer way more often, IF you still have some warranty!

I just did 10,000 miles on an Ecoboost with MC 5w-20. The oil life monitor was down to 2%.

I think the engineers know what they are doing.

I changed the oil in my 2.0 Ecoboost at around 8000 miles and the OLM was at 20%. 5W30 Mobil 1 in it now.

crackmeup2.gif

I change the oil of a hyundai with the 1.6 Turbo GDI. I've said it before but I change it at 4k, and the oil that comes out is the nastiest stuff I've ever seen at that invterval. Smells like fuel and looks like mud. I know you aren't supposed to judge based off appearance and such, but there must be something to that...

On that motor Hyundai recommends 3750 miles for "severe" use. Which according to them is driving the car. 5000 miles under normal use.

On my 2.0l Ecoboost short tripper, M1EP 5w30 sheared down to 7.6/100c in 6000 miles. Think I'll be scaling back to 5K changes. Wear numbers looked good though.

i said this before, on my NX turbo they still want 10k intervals too. something about an advanced pcv system sucks out the bad vapors better yadda yadda. but mine is direct injected and port injected. im planning on changing it at 5k which is another 1000 miles and send a sample out to blackstone. we`ll see how it looks.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Is your plan backed by a UOA?

Ford actually back sped'd to 5w30 so right away, I am seeing issues.

Some of the smaller Ecoboost engines like the 1.6 and 1.0 are actually spec'd for 5w-20, but the OP didn't mention which one he has.

Mine is a 1.5 and spec'd for 5w-20.

Mine is a 1.5 and spec'd for 5w-20.

My apologies.

Did you get a UOA at least? I’m genuinely curious.

Did you get a UOA at least? I’m genuinely curious.

Me too. I really wanted to but did not have a Blackstone kit around. I'll go close to 10,000 with this fill and have a kit for testing.

Originally Posted By: Danno
If it was my truck and I wanted to keep it past warranty, I would change it at 5,000 mile and use a 5W-30 D1G2 synthetic oil.

Mine is a timing BELT 1.6 EcoBoost, in a car (Fiesta ST), but I plan on doing the above with one of the lowest NOACK, and lowest SA 5W-30 D1G2 oils out there, with a super tungsten and trimer moly add pack, and a PAO/POE base stock (Ravenol DXG 5W-30).

I also already have a good air-oil separator/catch can installed
27.gif
despite the charges of them being ineffective and useless (for ANY effective intake valve cleanliness at all) by so many on here.

At my age, I plan for this to be the LAST car I buy/own, unless it get hit and totaled.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer

Is your plan backed by a UOA?

Some of the smaller Ecoboost engines like the 1.6 and 1.0 are actually spec'd for 5w-20, but the OP didn't mention which one he has.

I am told by the 2017/2018 Fiesta ST owners (1.6 EcoBoost) that their manuals now state that a 5W-30 can be used in NORTH AMERICA, with the IDENTICAL engine as my 2016 (same; tuning, fuel trims, Ti-VCT, injectors, etc.) which called for a 5W-20.

What is perplexing is that they are 'requiring' the same 945-A Ford spec for the 5W-30, which I thought was a 5W-20 spec EXCLUSIVELY.
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
What is perplexing is that they are 'requiring' the same 945-A Ford spec for the 5W-30, which I thought was a 5W-20 spec EXCLUSIVELY.
confused2.gif

Not sure what you mean. From the 2018 Mustang Owner's Manual.

5W-20 is Ford Spec WSS-M2C945-A

5W-30 is Ford Spec WSS-M2C946-A

No not yet - but the "nose test" is quite telling when changing the oil ... Last oil change at 4,000 miles darn near knocked me out due to fuel dilution in the oil - never , ever had that experience with a non - GDI engine even at 7,500 miles on the oil !
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
OP, do you have a UOA for YOUR driving profile and YOUR engine to substantiate the fuel dilution claims?

Nope : 3,750 miles per the manual for severe duty but I will stretch to 4,000 miles - even if fuel dilution "calms down" as Hyundai GDI engines have been reported to do after break in , I can't ever see myself going past 5,000 mile OCI's on a Hyundai GDI engine . **New service being featured at Hyundai dealerships : Intake Valve Cleaning - complete with before / after scare pictures using Wynn carbon cleaning product.
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
The first reason is the fuel dilution issue of GDI engines as by 3,000 ~ 4,000 miles after an oil change - it becomes a significant consideration .

So you're advocating a 2500 mile OCI to be safe or can we dare go to 3000?

"The engineers know what they are doing"... Famous last words. Try asking the space shuttle crew of the Challenger about how much the engineers "knew". You can't. They all died due to the "expert" engineers not coming to the right answer or using good judgement.

Ice hanging down everywhere on the shuttle and launch pad, temp actually got down to 18°F that am, and was still in the low 30s at launch time. Some of the engineers knew that there could be a potential issues with the o ring gaskets on the booster rockets. Obviously though they were in the strong minority and that launch happened anyhow. 73 seconds later that shuttle blew up into pieces.

And going back to Ford's issues with other ecoboost motors... There was an obvious reasaon why the back specd 5w30 for higher output ecoboost motors. Because, just like the Challenger event.... The engineers we're not correct in their analysis at the end of the day.

Last edited:
FWIW: For my '12 Kia Optima SX (2.0L turbo), I started running M1 0W-40 oil since new and did various UOA from both Blackstone and Polaris with OCI of ~4K miles (due to Kia's "severe usage" verbiage). I had little wear metals but very poor fuel dilution and shearing down of the oil at that point as well as high oxidation numbers. You could smell the fuel in the old oil. Yes, I run Oil Catch Cans and did drain about 1-2OZ of fluid out per OCI. Runs strong and gets good fuel economy (when I keep my foot out it - daily driver). I only run Top Tier 93 octane gas (E10). Car never uses oil nor do I get any creeping up oil level as measured by the dip stick.

I switched to Castrol EDGE 0W-40 oil a while back and my Polaris UOA showed a significant reduction in oxidation (same good wear metal levels) as well as a reduction in viscosity shearing. In my last OCI (just recent), I noticed basically no fluid in my OCCs. So the Castrol EDGE oil has held up (same driving conditions) much better than the M1 oil in my engine with my state of tune/driving style/etc.

To the OP, I'd say your game-plan is a good one for your engine series! Keep it up sir.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
"The engineers know what they are doing"... Famous last words. Try asking the space shuttle crew of the Challenger about how much the engineers "knew". You can't. They all died due to the "expert" engineers not coming to the right answer or using good judgement.

Ice hanging down everywhere on the shuttle and launch pad, temp actually got down to 18°F that am, and was still in the low 30s at launch time. Some of the engineers knew that there could be a potential issues with the o ring gaskets on the booster rockets. Obviously though they were in the strong minority and that launch happened anyhow. 73 seconds later that shuttle blew up into pieces.

And going back to Ford's issues with other ecoboost motors... There was an obvious reasaon why the back specd 5w30 for higher output ecoboost motors. Because, just like the Challenger event.... The engineers we're not correct in their analysis at the end of the day.

Off Topic: Being an engineer I have to take exception to your comments about the Space Shuttle disaster. The engineers DID tell flight management that the seals would be compromised by the lower than designed launch temperature and that they should NOT launch but were OVERRULED by management in order to "make the schedule" so the Politicians could crow about sending the first female teacher into space. After 73 seconds, it blew up in their face, literally. If the results had not been so horrible, it would be a classic Dilbert cartoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back