Every time a thread gets interesting, it's locked

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed a negative trend in this thread. Hopefully the mods step in and lock'er up!

28.gif

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Originally Posted By: gman2304
Like the thread today on Ram production moving from Mexico back to the USA. Locked after 3 benign posts?

That thread was only locked because there was already another thread discussing the same topic. That other thread is still open.
Originally Posted By: andrewg
I think the reason I get so ticked at times is that as a person with my beliefs...is so often repressed by our current culture. Be it work, here on this board, or out in public. It gets to be a real pain to be stifled all the time.

Oh, please. Your beliefs are repressed on this board? This board is an echo-chamber with everyone sharing your beliefs. In the last political thread I was in, I was the only dissenting opinion in that whole thread while everyone else agreed with you. The other threads got locked because they were thinly-veiled political topics that just didn't mention specific names outright, made for the sole purpose of affirmation from like-minded people that they voted for the right guy.

+1
Best post in this soon to be locked thread.
We should also all bear in mind that this isn't our sandbox.
Somebody else owns it and their rules apply to their sandbox.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
I tend to agree with exranger06... if this board leaned any more in its predominate direction, it would fall over.

Word!

Originally Posted By: Pike51
Originally Posted By: andyd
Hey, its not your game. Play nice and have a good time. I'm a flaming liberal in a sea of gun toting neo-cons. Our commonalities are oil related. Celebrate them. Mebbe share a laugh , a good recipe a similar experience. Keep it congenial. P/S/R raises hackles, this is a non- hackle raising zone.
grin2.gif

What is a "hackle"??

You know when you upset a dog and those hairs stand up on his/her neck and back?

Those are hackles.

I think much of the problem lies with people not actually living up to their views.

How many who claim to be liberal want to impose their view of the greater good on others?

Ditto for conservatives?

I find many who claim to be one or the other to really just be left or right leaning authoritarians.

It's hard to have civil discussions with people who believe the best thing to do is to impose their vision of the greater good on others.

So it's probably best to nip such "discussions" in the bud before they become full blown flame wars.

I have no problem with the moderation. It's not my site. I may not do it the same way they choose. But then, I'm not here to impose my view on others. Again, not my site.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I think much of the problem lies with people not actually living up to their views.

How many who claim to be liberal want to impose their view of the greater good on others?

Ditto for conservatives?

I find many who claim to be one or the other to really just be left or right leaning authoritarians.

It's hard to have civil discussions with people who believe the best thing to do is to impose their vision of the greater good on others.

So it's probably best to nip such "discussions" in the bud before they become full blown flame wars.

I have no problem with the moderation. It's not my site. I may not do it the same way they choose. But then, I'm not here to impose my view on others. Again, not my site.

100%

Like the thread today on Ram production moving from Mexico back to the USA. Locked after 3 benign posts?

That thread was only locked because there was already another thread discussing the same topic. That other thread is still open.
I think the reason I get so ticked at times is that as a person with my beliefs...is so often repressed by our current culture. Be it work, here on this board, or out in public. It gets to be a real pain to be stifled all the time.

Oh, please. Your beliefs are repressed on this board? This board is an echo-chamber with everyone sharing your beliefs. In the last political thread I was in, I was the only dissenting opinion in that whole thread while everyone else agreed with you. The other threads got locked because they were thinly-veiled political topics that just didn't mention specific names outright, made for the sole purpose of affirmation from like-minded people that they voted for the right guy.

That's what makes this diverse world just a beautiful place....opinions. You have yours...and I have mine. You think that yours are right....and I know that mine are right.
But as for the "affirmation" needed because of whom I may (or may not) have voted for? No...it's not that at all.

Nice choice of words there...I "think" my beliefs are right and you "KNOW" yours are right...gimme a break.
smirk.gif
The affirmation part wasn't directed at you specifically, it was directed at the people who created the other threads, and the people who patted each other on the back in the replies of those threads.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Originally Posted By: Pike51
Keep it congenial. P/S/R raises hackles, this is a non- hackle raising zone.
grin2.gif

What is a "hackle"??

You know when you upset a dog and those hairs stand up on his/her neck and back?

Those are hackles.

A Hackle is also the feathered plume in the beret of a Royal Fusilier in the British Army.
image_update_054dacc88873f96d_1368528013_9j-4aaqsk.jpeg

Ain't that the truth.
thumbsup2.gif

That's what makes this diverse world just a beautiful place....opinions. You have yours...and I have mine. You think that yours are right....and I know that mine are right.
But as for the "affirmation" needed because of whom I may (or may not) have voted for? No...it's not that at all.

Nice choice of words there...I "think" my beliefs are right and you "KNOW" yours are right...gimme a break.

Won't he be surprised when he finds out that the billions of people whom he thought were wrong all his life were not wrong.

BC.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
We should also all bear in mind that this isn't our sandbox.
Somebody else owns it and their rules apply to their sandbox.

All you need to know. Freedom of speech doesn't apply to a privately owned website.

The owners choose the boundaries and choose to keep it non-adversarial. Their choice and I appreciate it.

Hackles are the hairs on a mammals neck that are precursors to a flight or fight adrenal rush. Dint know about plumed beret. Haven't you ever had the hairs on the back of your neck stand up? Those are hackles.
grin2.gif

Honestly, after year and years of observation, I truly believe that the "bias" that many of you are complaining about actually reflects the poster who not feeling that he's (general sexual stereotype there) getting traction with his personal bias, gathers his panties and hits "notify".

That's really the only consistent streak that I can see, other than a mod or two who thinks that the board and rules don't apply.

As to calling for prayers being religious...please, that's rich.

Maybe we can all ask for the board to practice the Bengston method instead.

Hey, its not your game. Play nice and have a good time. I'm a flaming liberal in a sea of gun toting neo-cons. Our commonalities are oil related. Celebrate them. Mebbe share a laugh , a good recipe a similar experience. Keep it congenial. P/S/R raises hackles, this is a non- hackle raising zone.
grin2.gif

This. Why would you color your opinion of an internet stranger who could be a great mechanic or tribologist but your polar opposite politically?

Hackles are the hairs on a mammals neck that are precursors to a flight or fight adrenal rush. Dint know about plumed beret. Haven't you ever had the hairs on the back of your neck stand up? Those are hackles.
grin2.gif

I was thinking maybe hackles were the same thing as sniglets
laugh.gif

I participate in several internet forums (including being a mod on a couple). In some forums folks are very good at being able to disagree on some issue but staying civil and polite to each other. The key to doing so is not to take that disagreement personally or as a slight/insult. Folks with strong self worth are better at staying centered and civil than someone with self esteem issues. It is also critical to understand that my personal views and yours can simultaneously be stone cold dead wrong. Lots of posts so far from those who seem to think their views are the "correct" views.

P/S/R with especially P/R are common trigger issues I think because these are often intertwined with some folks sense of self esteem and self worth. Anyone questioning or asserting a different point of view in P/R area tends to shake potentially fragile foundations so reactions can be extreme. Best to exclude these conversations especially from an anonymous car/oil discussion forum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back