Every time a thread gets interesting, it's locked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Honestly, after year and years of observation, I truly believe that the "bias" that many of you are complaining about actually reflects the poster who not feeling that he's (general sexual stereotype there) getting traction with his personal bias, gathers his panties and hits "notify".

That's really the only consistent streak that I can see

+1

Originally Posted By: cashmoney
I participate in several internet forums (including being a mod on a couple). In some forums folks are very good at being able to disagree on some issue but staying civil and polite to each other. The key to doing so is not to take that disagreement personally or as a slight/insult. Folks with strong self worth are better at staying centered and civil than someone with self esteem issues. It is also critical to understand that my personal views and yours can simultaneously be stone cold dead wrong. Lots of posts so far from those who seem to think their views are the "correct" views.

P/S/R with especially P/R are common trigger issues I think because these are often intertwined with some folks sense of self esteem and self worth. Anyone questioning or asserting a different point of view in P/R area tends to shake potentially fragile foundations so reactions can be extreme. Best to exclude these conversations especially from an anonymous car/oil discussion forum.

Very well-put.

Don’t take things personally. It’s just the Internet!

Originally Posted By: andyd
Didn't know about plumed beret.

Yes, not many do and there is no problem with that, the Commonwealth and British military is full of stuff like that.

Completely off topic:
The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers is a Infantry Regiment of the Line. They were part of the 2003 invasion of Iraq, occupying the city of Basra. The news reports of the day were full of pictures of British soldiers wearing hackles next to US soldiers and marines. In 2006 in Now Zad in Helmand Province, they repulsed a 107 day sustained attack, the longest siege for the British army since WW2.

Here they are in full dress uniform, when they were given the honour of guarding the palace.
palaceguard.jpg

My signature was “ I take my hat off and stand for the National Anthem”

Deemed political and removed...whoa!

Originally Posted By: salesrep
My signature was “ I take my hat off and stand for the National Anthem”

Deemed political and removed...whoa!

Please tell me you’re not talking about BITOG!

Originally Posted By: cashmoney
I participate in several internet forums (including being a mod on a couple). In some forums folks are very good at being able to disagree on some issue but staying civil and polite to each other. The key to doing so is not to take that disagreement personally or as a slight/insult. Folks with strong self worth are better at staying centered and civil than someone with self esteem issues. It is also critical to understand that my personal views and yours can simultaneously be stone cold dead wrong. Lots of posts so far from those who seem to think their views are the "correct" views.

P/S/R with especially P/R are common trigger issues I think because these are often intertwined with some folks sense of self esteem and self worth. Anyone questioning or asserting a different point of view in P/R area tends to shake potentially fragile foundations so reactions can be extreme. Best to exclude these conversations especially from an anonymous car/oil discussion forum.

There is something in what you've said here that I find incongruent. While I will agree that it does take a level of calm and/or maturity to handle discussions without becoming too upset when others disagree, I don't see how a person can truly believe in something...yet at the same time think what they believe could be wrong. I mean that if we don't strongly believe in a particular view, what is the point in expressing it with much more gusto than a shoulder shrug or a yawn? Why even bother then? I really don't see how some folks that believe in something whole-heartedly, have some sort of "self-esteem" issue. Plenty of people in this world have died for what they believe in....and I would not be quick to think it was simply ones ego. There ARE absolutes in this world. True rights and wrongs DO exist and ARE worth arguing for in the most stringent sense. Understand, I am not talking about rather unimportant discussions involving the small stuff in life.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

There is something in what you've said here that I find incongruent. While I will agree that it does take a level of calm and/or maturity to handle discussions without becoming too upset when others disagree, I don't see how a person can truly believe in something...yet at the same time think what they believe could be wrong. I mean that if we don't strongly believe in a particular view, what is the point in expressing it with much more gusto than a shoulder shrug or a yawn? Why even bother then? I really don't see how some folks that believe in something whole-heartedly, have some sort of "self-esteem" issue. Plenty of people in this world have died for what they believe in....and I would not be quick to think it was simply ones ego. There ARE absolutes in this world. True rights and wrongs DO exist and ARE worth arguing for in the most stringent sense. Understand, I am not talking about rather unimportant discussions involving the small stuff in life.

There's a true right and wrong in mathematics and science. Morality, politics, religion are mere opinion.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

There's a true right and wrong in mathematics and science. Morality, politics, religion are mere opinion.

I disagree.

Having to correct a beleif when you find out that you are wrong lights up the same parts of the brain as physically feeling pain.

So people will avoid that process, and cling to errors, even when (as dishdude points out) there are absolute laws of physics, chemistry and mathematics that can prove it. That's irrational to fight, but people still do it.

When it comes to whose imaginary friend is more powerful/peaceful/loving, people will fight to the death purely to defend their P.O.V. (which is really someone else's P.O.V. that they've thrust upon you to control you).

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Having to correct a beleif when you find out that you are wrong lights up the same parts of the brain as physically feeling pain.

So people will avoid that process, and cling to errors, even when (as dishdude points out) there are absolute laws of physics, chemistry and mathematics that can prove it. That's irrational to fight, but people still do it.

When it comes to whose imaginary friend is more powerful/peaceful/loving, people will fight to the death purely to defend their P.O.V. (which is really someone else's P.O.V. that they've thrust upon you to control you).

I think that basically here, you are alluding to purely religious aspects of belief. That doesn't necessarily cover the entire topic at hand. As an atheist, I reject moral relativism. That belief I have isn't based on any imaginary friend, yet there are absolutes that exist within the context.

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
If you have a board that states no politics, sex, religion...it's just that. It doesn't matter how upset you are or your need to respond with vigor...those are the guidelines of the board. I think moderators can take into consideration how vehement the argument becomes before they lock it, but this board tends to be hyper-predictable and I can understand mods taking a proactive approach just based on that reality. IBTL is a game here.

Personally, I could give three effs if someone has a need, duty, or self-appointed desire to "set things straight". This board will always be a mix of more learned and willfully ignorant people. That given reality says that flashpoint issues of politics, sex, and religion don't really work on what's ostensibly an oil and car care forum. If someone likes to get their candy pants in a bunch over politics or the Pope there are several forums out there for that...this is probably one of the last places I'd come to for discussions of current events independent of whatever way I lean politically.

Well said

this topic has run it's course - lock time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back