Every time a thread gets interesting, it's locked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bradepb
Originally Posted By: maximus
Totally in agreement with Andrew. The double standard is real.

Agreed. No religion? How many need prayers for such and such threads have there been. Ridiculous double standard.

Asking for prayers is not a discussion that involves religion. It is a request from someone who believes in something asking other like minded members to perform something on their behalf nothing more.
If you don't like that don't read it, you know what it is right up front. Is it fair to deny a member assistance from others in their time of need?

I see it too...

I've probably skirted the edge of the guidelines a little more than some, but I have no problem with the moderation.

At the end of the day, there's a person who owns and puts good money into this website, and that individual is not me.

And that is no knock on anyone who feels different. Just my perspective.

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
If you have a board that states no politics, sex, religion...it's just that. It doesn't matter how upset you are or your need to respond with vigor...those are the guidelines of the board. I think moderators can take into consideration how vehement the argument becomes before they lock it, but this board tends to be hyper-predictable and I can understand mods taking a proactive approach just based on that reality. IBTL is a game here.

Personally, I could give three effs if someone has a need, duty, or self-appointed desire to "set things straight". This board will always be a mix of more learned and willfully ignorant people. That given reality says that flashpoint issues of politics, sex, and religion don't really work on what's ostensibly an oil and car care forum. If someone likes to get their candy pants in a bunch over politics or the Pope there are several forums out there for that...this is probably one of the last places I'd come to for discussions of current events independent of whatever way I lean politically.

I don't see how arguing fit's into the no sex, politics, or religion guidelines, but threads get locked just because people disagree. Like I said in my first post, if everyone agreed on every issue, the world would be a very boring place...there's nothing wrong with disagreement...even when it gets heated...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andrewg
I'll be gosh darned if I will keep my mouth shut while others feel free to express ideas that I see as destructive or simply wrong.

The interesting thing is that as much as you think they are wrong is exactly how much they think you are wrong.
Its a pretty circular argument on both sides.

I have no problems with people's beliefs, and the expressions of them.
I do have problems with people who intentionally insult other members, and derail conversations on purpose in order to get them locked, just simply because they don't like either the topic, the original poster, or contributors to the thread.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
If you have a board that states no politics, sex, religion...it's just that. It doesn't matter how upset you are or your need to respond with vigor...those are the guidelines of the board. I think moderators can take into consideration how vehement the argument becomes before they lock it, but this board tends to be hyper-predictable and I can understand mods taking a proactive approach just based on that reality. IBTL is a game here.

Personally, I could give three effs if someone has a need, duty, or self-appointed desire to "set things straight". This board will always be a mix of more learned and willfully ignorant people. That given reality says that flashpoint issues of politics, sex, and religion don't really work on what's ostensibly an oil and car care forum. If someone likes to get their candy pants in a bunch over politics or the Pope there are several forums out there for that...this is probably one of the last places I'd come to for discussions of current events independent of whatever way I lean politically.

What the board rules state...and what the actions of the members reflect...are often polar opposite. My main point is that I will obey the rules in any particular thread...until others feel free to express viewpoints that are in violation of the rules. At that point, I'll feel as free as I like to express my own thoughts. That's how it is for me, and as such....I understand that I could be banned or admonished. I accept that.

Originally Posted By: bradepb

Agreed. No religion? How many need prayers for such and such threads have there been. Ridiculous double standard.

I see that as being a little different, because there is no content to incite a problem. Fortunately, we do not have memebers degenerate enough to turn a desperate please for goodwill into a feces flinging parade. Also, those threads are non-denominational requests. I'd feel differently if someone were to say, "I practice TangoTango, so pray to the Great Blue One" or something like that.

What I have found interesting is how some threads are locked due to lighter issues, while threads raging with the worst kind of political/religious hate can carry on for days.

But again, not my site, not my place to criticize.

Originally Posted By: grampi
I'm aware of the site rules, and I realize things like foul language and discussions about politics are not allowed, but I must say that many threads get closed that aren't in violation of the site rules. The minute two posters disagree with each other, the topic is locked. I understand the mods wanting to have a nice, family friendly site and all, but discussions are about disagreement. If everyone had the same opinion, there would be no need for discussions of any kind, and our world would be very bland. It's our differences of opinions that make discussions interesting. Just because someone types the word "politics", it doesn't mean the topic is a political discussion. To the mods, please ease back on the thread closings. There's nothing wrong in keeping a site family friendly, but let's not get so restrictive that it makes the site dull and boring. This is a wonderful site with a lot of intelligent people who want their voices heard, and who also want to hear the voices of others (or we wouldn't be here). Let's not ruin the site by being overly restrictive...

I agree with you, in my opinion some of the moderators are way, way, way too quick to pull the plug on threads that are technical but relate to political policy. I see them get slammed shut even when the political aspect hasn't been touched on, and it angers me.

However, its not my sandbox and I'm just a guest.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
I'll be gosh darned if I will keep my mouth shut while others feel free to express ideas that I see as destructive or simply wrong.

The interesting thing is that as much as you think they are wrong is exactly how much they think you are wrong.
Its a pretty circular argument on both sides.

I have no problems with people's beliefs, and the expressions of them.
I do have problems with people who intentionally insult other members, and derail conversations on purpose in order to get them locked, just simply because they don't like either the topic, the original poster, or contributors to the thread.

BC.

Right....that's why I use the word "opinion". While I think and believe that my views are the correct one, I understand that others don't agree. No problem. The free and open interchange is what conversation is all about. I have zero problem with it.

Insults however...even thinly veiled ones? I am a 'scorched earth' person when it comes to that. I know that no virtue exists in striking back....but I am who I am. I think the reason I get so ticked at times is that as a person with my beliefs...is so often repressed by our current culture. Be it work, here on this board, or out in public. It gets to be a real pain to be stifled all the time.

Like the thread today on Ram production moving from Mexico back to the USA. Locked after 3 benign posts?

After perusing BITOG. I have learned/read, some of the best (historical) forums are locked. Cause-personal attacks against opposing members, which are not productive. However, the users that comply within the rules are punished from continuing dialogue.

I suggest that the owner/moderator consider redacting harmful language (subjective i understand) and penalize the authors and/or ban them for life, including IP address. Although I know IP's can be spoofed.

Most of us, know who the problem children are, so it's not like they can't be rooted out. I understand that we are all different, but the masses are suffering because of individuals.

Knowledge should be shared and our OCD with petroleum/bio products exemplified. That's my .2 cents.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

I'm probably one of the posters that members here feel gets threads closed due to my comments. And I have no apologies for it.

Why do I say this? Well, because wherever I am these days....people with my mindset are always advised to keep your mouth closed and my opinions to myself. I am "old-fashioned" in my opinions (for lack of a better phrase that won't get THIS thread closed). And while the vast majority of people of a more progressive mind are allowed to express opinions and ideas (on this board as well as at my place of work and in the public forum), folks such as myself are frowned upon as some sort of antiquated "get off my lawn" fool. I get tired of it. That is why I often, and with vigor, respond toward others that feel free to express opinions in disregard to the rules. I'll be gosh darned if I will keep my mouth shut while others feel free to express ideas that I see as destructive or simply wrong. I will counter and offer my opinions as long as I am able. I will not break the rules....unless others do while getting to express themselves. I will not apologize for it. If the membership here wants me banned....that's fine. I know the rules are to be obeyed and if you don't....consequences may occur.

For my beliefs, I have no problem suffering the consequences of my rule breakage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gman2304
Like the thread today on Ram production moving from Mexico back to the USA. Locked after 3 benign posts?

That thread was only locked because there was already another thread discussing the same topic. That other thread is still open.
I think the reason I get so ticked at times is that as a person with my beliefs...is so often repressed by our current culture. Be it work, here on this board, or out in public. It gets to be a real pain to be stifled all the time.

Oh, please. Your beliefs are repressed on this board? This board is an echo-chamber with everyone sharing your beliefs. In the last political thread I was in, I was the only dissenting opinion in that whole thread while everyone else agreed with you. The other threads got locked because they were thinly-veiled political topics that just didn't mention specific names outright, made for the sole purpose of affirmation from like-minded people that they voted for the right guy.

I tend to agree with exranger06... if this board leaned any more in its predominate direction, it would fall over.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
I tend to agree with exranger06... if this board leaned any more in its predominate direction, it would fall over.

Another agreement. In fact it is often very one sided, and the complaint is usually they can't talk when they do all the talking and are the most aggressive about it..
laugh.gif

So that makes three I guess.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Originally Posted By: gman2304

That thread was only locked because there was already another thread discussing the same topic. That other thread is still open.
I think the reason I get so ticked at times is that as a person with my beliefs...is so often repressed by our current culture. Be it work, here on this board, or out in public. It gets to be a real pain to be stifled all the time.

Oh, please. Your beliefs are repressed on this board? This board is an echo-chamber with everyone sharing your beliefs. In the last political thread I was in, I was the only dissenting opinion in that whole thread while everyone else agreed with you. The other threads got locked because they were thinly-veiled political topics that just didn't mention specific names outright, made for the sole purpose of affirmation from like-minded people that they voted for the right guy.

That's what makes this diverse world just a beautiful place....opinions. You have yours...and I have mine. You think that yours are right....and I know that mine are right.
But as for the "affirmation" needed because of whom I may (or may not) have voted for? No...it's not that at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back