Ever have "the Shingles"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
At what age should you get the shingles vaccination ?

I believe it's approved under insurance for those over 50 years old, but having it at 33, I'm considering getting it at a younger age and paying out of pocket.

When I got shingles last year, I did some research and found that we're in a sweet spot where everyone that was born after 1995 got the chicken pox vaccine, so they won't get chicken pox, and thus can never get shingles. However, those that are younger than 50 years old right now (born after 1967), aren't eligible for the vaccine. In addition, since the kids are vaccinated from birth, there are fewer and fewer people carrying the varicella virus, so we don't develop any regular natural defenses. Their computer models show that there will be an increase of shingles occurrences in the short term.

Anyway, my suggesting is, if you've never had chicken pox and were born before 1995, get tested and if possible, get the chicken pox vaccine. If you're over 50, get your shingles vaccine. If you currently have shingles, get Valtrex.

I feel like an old man saying this, but kids these days, don't even know how good they have it!

Yes! Eighteen years ago and left me with permanently damaged nerves around my right waist that are very painful 24/7. Only way I can accomplish some of the mundane things that need doing every day is to take 10mg of hydrocodone(that is all my pain doc will prescribe) every morning and try to get essential things done by 12:00 noon. This PM I drained and refilled AT so I was hurting by time I finished. Essentially, I am permanently disabled. If you haven't got the shingles vaccine, get it asap. About 20 some percent of people who get shingles have residual nerve pain when the blisters are gone. It will ruin your whole life. By 5:00 PM I'm finished and have to get into lose fitting night wear. I haven't been out at night in 18 years. Pain doc has been trying to sell me on having at Saint Jude's Medical neurostimulation device installed in my spine with a battery pack and controller implanted in my buttocks. Saint Jude keeps telling me they are going to have one of their "ambassadors" who has had this procedure for PHN control, but haven't heard a thing in two years. When I ask pain doc about success of this device for postherpetic neuralgia he sort of goes into a George Costanza mubble like when fiance Susan was asking Costanza to tell her what she used for birth control which produced gibberish from George. Lyrica is good for about one point on the ten point pain skill and the only way I can tell it helps is by stop taking it for two or three days. Pfizer has steadily raised the price of Lyrica the past eleven years to where it is now over five dollars for a 100mg capsule and I take two a day. Lyrica puts me in the doughnut hole by June. [censored] pharmaceutical companies. Nothing but pure greed and the FDA lets them do it. They got a five year extension on Lyrica patent in 2014 and that was the green light to raise the price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Ever have shingles?

Nope, and don't plant to either. I have my mind programmed to conquer it. The power of the mind is very powerful thing.

I believe more in the power of the brain. My brain told me to get the shot. Seen my best friend and mother-in-law go through [censored]. Which diseases does your mind tune out?
So you believe the "thinking stuff" and the other stuff are two different entities? Not so. Descarte got "I think, therefore I am" backwards. The"mind" you are referring to is the function of a hundred billion neural connections where the memes you have collected over your lifetime reside in a three pound, gray blob. An organ that is about three percent of our body mass but requires twenty percent of the body's energy to function. The human brain is even more wondrous than we can ever imagine. A nondescript mass that has enabled man to understand his origins and many things about the world we live in. I better shut up or the moderator will run me off intruding on a not allowed subject.Regards

I had a mild case of shingles about 18 months ago. I recognized the symptoms early and got started on antivirals quickly.
BTW, I had the shingles vaccination about two years prior to getting shingles. Perhaps, that is why I had a mild case and because I started AV very quickly. The shingles vaccine is reported to be about 50% effective or so as I recall and it is expensive. If it minimized my case at all, it was the best money I ever spent.

If you are on/have been on immunosuppresent drugs (Humira, Enbrel, Methotrexate, Steroids, etc), you are at greater risk of contracting shingles. The CDC says that about 1 out of 3 people will get shingles in their lifetime.

Get this diagnosed ASAP.

From the CDC: CDC- Shingles info

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Ever have shingles?

Nope, and don't plant to either. I have my mind programmed to conquer it. The power of the mind is very powerful thing.

Unless you are Spock, I don't think that will work.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
At what age should you get the shingles vaccination ?

When I got shingles last year, I did some research and found that we're in a sweet spot where everyone that was born after 1995 got the chicken pox vaccine, so they won't get chicken pox, and thus can never get shingles.

That is not quite true. The varicella (chicken pox) vaccine contains the live virus in a small dose, enough to cause the body to develop antibodies. Because of this, being vaccinated for chicken pox does NOT rule out developing shingles later on in life. Although considered rare, time will tell.

Here is a sentence from the shingles vaccine information statement from the CDC:
Only someone who has had chickenpox – or, rarely, has gotten chickenpox vaccine – can get shingles. The virus stays in your body, and can cause shingles many years later.

Shingles Vaccine Information Statement from CDC

Originally Posted By: Eddie
My Dr gave me a test BEFORE giving me the shot, to confirm I did have Chicken pox as a child. If I didn't have the pox, then giving me the vaccine might possibly give me the Shingles. Ed

Please show us a link where this is documented.

Here is the info I found-
I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with you primary care physician to discuss your concerns. Generally speaking, the quick answer to your question is no. Getting the shingles vaccine will not give you chickenpox even if you have never been exposed to chickenpox. The reason for this is that the shingles vaccine as well as the chickenpox vaccine both contain an inactivated virus. This means that the virus is unable to do the things that it would need to do to cause an infection and cause the symptoms of shingles. If you have never had chickenpox, then the chances that you will get shingles is much less. This is because shingles is caused by a reactivation of an infection you had previously in your life. However, if you have never had chickenpox then you are not immune to the virus and thus are more susceptible of getting a primary infection.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back