Has Google maps ever steered you in the wrong direction?

When we first moved to Tracy, my wife had an appointment at 11555 W. Linne Rd. Google Maps sent her to Vernalis.

1688939879329.jpg

Coming home from a lake in Alabama I decided I wanted to try I-65 instead of I-75. To get me there Google decided it was a good idea to route me down a mud (not gravel) road for several miles. I gave that a hard nope but It kept trying to reroute me back to that impassable mess. I had to build a route to a different town piece by piece to avoid that road.

Oh geez, don't get me started.
One example is when I was trying to get back to Michigan from Vermont after delivering a trailer. I set the route I wanted in Google Maps and started going, but soon after, it changed the route and I didn't notice. I planned to get to the NY Thruway and cross into Canada at Niagara Falls. Instead, Google Maps routed me north to Quebec, where I would have had a lot more tolls to pay. I went an hour out of my way before I figured out that I was going the wrong direction. I did get to see more of the beautiful Vermont countryside, but that didn't make me feel much better.

Maps appears to prefer fuel efficient routes or faster routes sometimes....

I use Garmin, and also paper maps or directions from the person I need to get to.

Google is all crap, including the search engine which severely limits the information it allows.

I use Firefox, Duckduckgo, garmin, and have no problems.
DuckDuckGo is limited also in results index. I think you need to use a combination of a few search engine to get the most results .

Once in the Puget Sound area with a borrowed car where we were meeting up at a state park. The biggest problem was that finding the way to a state park wasn’t easy since parking areas might not be easy to identify. There was good cellular coverage though. But I found myself going through some washboard dirt road and then lost. Had to ask for directions and then found it.

Might have been Apple Maps though. Don’t really remember.

I have an old Garmin and it sent me through a mall roundabout to avoid a congested intersection ahead once. Another time it told me to turn the wrong way onto a one way street. I think the street had just been changed to that as it was all under construction.

Google maps has been the most consistent/best all-around navigation I've found. It's lead me down some questionable or washboard dirt roads but considering that those roads were still named public roads, I don't put that at the fault of Google maps. In regards to choosing a highway vs local road route, it's all based off the posted speed limit and the current flow of traffic so I'm not faulting Google maps for that.

I've also used it for hiking, where a lot of hiking trails will actually show up or use the satellite view to view an established hiking path.

I have an old Garmin and it sent me through a mall roundabout to avoid a congested intersection ahead once. Another time it told me to turn the wrong way onto a one way street. I think the street had just been changed to that as it was all under construction.
A while back, I used my Garmin to drop my son off at a birthday party a few towns away in an area I wasn't familiar with. Coming home, when I got out of the neighborhood and to the divided highway which I am familiar with, the devise instructed me to turn left onto Rt 23 South. However, being divided, the south bound side was on the other side of the tree-lined median. If I had made that left due to unfamiliarity, I would have headed south in the north bound lanes and likely a very, very serious accident.

A while back, I used my Garmin to drop my son off at a birthday party a few towns away in an area I wasn't familiar with. Coming home, when I got out of the neighborhood and to the divided highway which I am familiar with, the devise instructed me to turn left onto Rt 23 South. However, being divided, the south bound side was on the other side of the tree-lined median. If I had made that left due to unfamiliarity, I would have headed south in the north bound lanes and likely a very, very serious accident.
Indiana has some goofy T intersections were 2 lanes meet 4 lanes. If you want to go left you have to turn right and make a near 300 degree turn into the left lane of the 4 lane. First time I took one I though it was sending me headlong into approaching traffic.

Morocco IN US 41 intersection.jpg

Indiana has some goofy T intersections were 2 lanes meet 4 lanes. If you want to go left you have to turn right and make a near 300 degree turn into the left lane of the 4 lane. First time I took one I though it was sending me headlong into approaching traffic.

View attachment 171733
Yup. Exact same scenario. And, it's easy to get lulled into just doing what the GPS is telling you to do and not really paying attention to the actual surroundings and street signs.

View attachment 171733

Ah one of those "michigan lefts", as I found out a few months ago for the first time in my life.

Yes.. Teton Pass in the RV. On the same trip I seen a bunch of people bypass a slow down on I80 in Utah on a supposed gravel road. Pretty sure a Mini was high centered on a rock ledge. I don't trust Google Maps blindly anymore.

It's always trying to drag me through residential sections when the easier way would be to go around on the main roads. I think it gets focused on total mileage instead of focusing on what makes sense.

Google maps has guided me towards barricades, through open warehouse doors , tore up roads and roads that haven’t been used since 1925

You use it in general with a physical map in certain parts of the country.

Google maps likes sending me down the worst quality roads, or sending me 30 miles around on the highway when there's a country road that goes straight from my town to the mountains nearby.

Back