Ever been married to just one oil brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to fawn loyalty to Exxon Multi-flo engine oil. That was back when they printed the Bar-codes & proof of purchase on 5 sides of the case. My "adding machine tape printer" would grind out sales receits by the foot! Man those were the days! A $10 box of oil and $25 of rebates, they were giving me the oil and paying me to pour it in!
beer3.gif

I've gone from SOPUS to Mobil to Valvoline, back to SOPUS again, and now I think I'll finally settle on Maxlife as it really does slow leaks much better than Mobil Super HM in my experience and the price is just a tick higher. Just wish it ran quieter.

I did the Amsoil thing for a long time. I'm not so partial to an oil brand as I am a brand that has everything I need for all my fluid needs. I'm currently on an Ashland/Valvoline trip. I can get all the motor oils, gear oils, transmission fluids, and coolants locally at a significantly cheaper price than Amsoil. I tend to shop oil specs more than I prefer a specific brand. However, it just so happens Valvoline has readily available products that meet the specs I'm looking for.

Last edited:
Amalie. My whole life (I'm 46). My Dad always used Amalie and my grandfather did too. So guess I'm as married to Amalie as one could possibly be.

When full syn MB 229.5 A3/B4 oils go on sale, it's like a hot summers day with ultra fit women wearing minimal bikinis on the beach. You can't look away no matter how hard you try.

I bought my first car in 1974 when I was a senior in HS, a 1967 Mustang,that leaked oil like a sieve. The previous owner was up front about the leak and threw in a few cans of Valvoline as part of the deal. I've been loyal to Valvoline ever since. I dabbled with Mobil1 a few years ago when they had a BOGO sale, and a couple others, but that was temporary and I eventually went back to Valvoline. Now it's SynPower 0W20 in everything, including the lawn mower.

Last edited:
Like triple se7en, I was married to SOPUS for a long time.
My initial attraction to Rotella was heavy. She was cute, smelled good, her golden color was simply heaven on earth. And long term performance... her staying power, the smooth moves, she had a little something about her. 212,000 trouble-free miles on an import mini van that 10w30 was fine in.
But over time, she changed... a little less of the magic was there,and she began to really stink. Literally. Like dead skunk on a hot summer day when the spray sack finally perforates from maggots stink. But I'm a man of honor... committed...faithful.
Her last act of defiance was her rebate program. It was a deal breaker. I was sad. I moved on. There are others.
Ashland and Chevron fill the void now.
I saw her the other day, Rotella. She mocked me, saying it took both of them to make one of her. Variety is the spice of life. I heard her little laugh, but saw a tear as well. Good riddance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KL31
When full syn MB 229.5 A3/B4 oils go on sale, it's like a hot summers day with ultra fit women wearing minimal bikinis on the beach. You can't look away no matter how hard you try.

I only went for a spring break beach trip once in my life, to Padre Island when I was just out of college and working in Dallas.
I only brought my prescription sunglasses for some reason, guess they were what I was wearing when we left town and I didn't think about my daily wear glasses.
The morning of the first day on the beach, we were playing football in the surf and I dove for an errant throw...my glasses came off and were immediately swept away.
I spent the rest of the trip not being able to see all the young gals in bikinis well unless they were less than 10 feet away!
Made me think of the Twilight Zone episode with Burgess Meredith being overjoyed to be that last man left alive after a nuclear war because he could spend all his time reading his precious books...until he broke his glasses.

On and off over the years, I've been married to Mobil and Pennzoil. Some were long happy marriages. Currently I'm married to Pennzoil, but it they don't get their act together with PU, that marriage might end in divorce soon.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Like triple se7en, I was married to SOPUS for a long time.
My initial attraction to Rotella was heavy. She was cute, smelled good, her golden color was simply heaven on earth. And long term performance... her staying power, the smooth moves, she had a little something about her. 212,000 trouble-free miles on an import mini van that 10w30 was fine in.
But over time, she changed... a little less of the magic was there,and she began to really stink. Literally. Like dead skunk on a hot summer day when the spray sack finally perforates from maggots stink. But I'm a man of honor... committed...faithful.
Her last act of defiance was her rebate program. It was a deal breaker. I was sad. I moved on. There are others.
Ashland and Chevron fill the void now.
I saw her the other day, Rotella. She mocked me, saying it took both of them to make one of her. Variety is the spice of life. I heard her little laugh, but saw a tear as well. Good riddance.

crackmeup2.gif

Good one
thumbsup2.gif

If you've read most peoples replies on BITOG, it becomes obvious that most oils work in their approved application. Just an overwhelming variety with arguments or discussions in the minute corners of cam/lifter wear and break-in, etc.

Too many good products and not enough horror stories ... Sad really
frown.gif

Run whatever pleases your fancy on that day at the store. As long as the bottle is eye catching and stuff does not smell bad when you open it, it'll be mostly fine
smile.gif

Outside of the factory fill, I've used nothing but Mobil oils in my 2004 WRX. That includes Mobil Super 10W-30 from the first oil change to Mobil 1 5W-30 or 0W-40 since. My other car I'd pretty much only used Mobil oils, although the first change used Castrol Syntec 10W-30 and there was a time when I freaked out about ring seating and used Pennzoil yellow bottle 5W-30 for about 10,000 miles before going back to Mobil 1. I used Mobil 1 0W-30, 5W-30, and 10W-30 on that car, but after a while I switched to Mobil high mileage 5W-30.

When I've changed oil for my parents' vehicles I've been less brand loyal. On my dad's Buick Regal I tried almost everything I could find, including TropArctic (from Dollar Tree), Kendall GT-1, Chevron, Havoline, Shell, Mobil, Pennzoil (yellow), Castrol GTX, Valvoline, etc. That was back when a typical quart was $1.50 and coupon/sale/rebate prices could be under $1 a quart. Nothing quite like an oil change for less than $7 in materials (if I could find an AC PF47 for $2). The oil drain plug also had a rubber gasket, so I didn't even need to spend on that.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I only went for a spring break beach trip once in my life, to Padre Island when I was just out of college and working in Dallas.
I only brought my prescription sunglasses for some reason, guess they were what I was wearing when we left town and I didn't think about my daily wear glasses.
The morning of the first day on the beach, we were playing football in the surf and I dove for an errant throw...my glasses came off and were immediately swept away.
I spent the rest of the trip not being able to see all the young gals in bikinis well unless they were less than 10 feet away!
Made me think of the Twilight Zone episode with Burgess Meredith being overjoyed to be that last man left alive after a nuclear war because he could spend all his time reading his precious books...until he broke his glasses.

Also having prescription sunnies, I feel your pain
frown.gif
I have been practicing the dark art of looking with eye movement only whilst wearing the sun glasses. Best not to get caught by the wife.
whistle.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back