Ever been married to just one oil brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before BITOG, I was a Valvoline White bottle and Fram filter guy every 3,000 miles. There was a period when I had to you an oil change place (Jiffy Lube actually, back in the mid-90's, had a decent local owned on that did a good job).

Once I can here, I still gravitated toward Valvoline (there were a lot of good sales and rebates at that time) then bought a ton of German Castrol (I had 60+ qts at one time, most of which I returned).

Now, I am married to cheap oil. Paying more than $2/qt makes me feel like I paid too much.

I used to be a die hard QS guy, but now I'm converting to vintage Kendall GT-1. To the guy above who said his Grandpa used Kendall in his sprint cars, your Grandpa had good taste.

I used only Castrol synthetic from the 80's to the 2005, this was the Euro stuff not the USA market Castrol. I still use Castrol 0w40 today in almost ever Euro car.

Wish they would bring back Arco Graphite.
grin.gif

I have been using all M1 5W30s for some time because of their low calcium formulations...EP, ESP, and the standard product.
That said, I would try any brand in grades from 0W30 to 5W40 if it had the characteristics I am looking for. I am very curious to find out more about the new Rotella T6 5W30, I am hoping the PQIA or Russian Oil club looks at it soon. I just past 60kmiles on my way to work this morning and don't have to worry about warranty anymore...although I do have to worry about paying for expensive repairs myself!

I have run so many different oils in my cars over the years, I'm definitely not brand loyal if something comes along that I really want to test out in my cars. But for the past few years now I've been running only Mobil 1 in all of my vehicles, mainly because I get the 5 quart jugs for a great price whenever I pop over the border to the US, so it really is the cheapest full synthetic I can find that I fully trust to have consistent quality for running a full year (or two in the case of my Corvette) But who knows if I'll still be using M1 a year or two from now? I'm always open to trying new oils.

Mobil 1 / Mobil 1 EP for synthetic.

ExxonMobil synthetics are widely available, have a great reputation and their R&D capabilities are best in the industry. Plus for "inventory" purposes, staying with 1 brand makes dealing with leftovers a lot easier.

Have used M1 oils for the last 39 years at 10K OCIs. Have never had a reason to change to something different.

Pennzoil all my life, dad used it and I continue the tradition, back in the 60's and 70's 30wt and FRAM were king, today it's Pennz Platinum, High mileage and Wix, although I still use the FRAM 2qt PH373 filter on my 83 Silverado.
cheers3.gif

I've tried pretty much all of the major brands at one time or another. For the past few years I have been using Trop Artic and Motorcraft. Lately I've been using Citgo Supergard because I got it cheap and have three cases of it. When that is gone I will probably go back to Trop Artic for most of my vehicles.

Wayne

OK, I'll admit it. Back in my high school/college years in the '80s I fell for Castrol's marketing and used Castrol GTX 10W-40 in my 1972 Catalina exclusively. Those was when 3,000 mile OCI's were standard, accompanied by injecting grease into 11 grease fittings at every OC. Ah, those were the days.

Yep. Back when I bought my new 1979 Chevy Caprice with 305 ci V-8 it used oil like crazy. That was 10W30 as I recall. I ran into a retired GM engineer that helped design the 305. He told me to use Castrol 20W50 which I did. It never used oil again, not a drop. That was when 3,000 mile oil changes were the norm. Even with temps down around 10ºF it always started without any noise and I never added oil when I sold it with well over 100,000 miles on it. Castrol 20W50 was it for over a decade.

For many years I bought Pennzoil. Then the ''unjust'' SOPUS rebate denials started 3-4 years ago. That was the end of Pennzoil for me and the beginning of my current Valvoline marriage.

Ive been using M1 EP 5W-30 exclusively for 10-12 years in my 4 Runners.

Was using Supertech for as long as I can remember, then recently started using Pennzoil and Kendall. Will probably stick with Kendall now.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Yes, for many years I used only Pennzoil, then Mobil 1, and now back to only Pennzoil. There was also a time where I used a few different brands.

That's polygamy !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back