Euro Spec Oil in GM Vehicle?

Nothing here says how oil will perform in the end.
Everything is “should,” “would.” We discussed this long time ago, final product is the only thing that matters. ESP use various base stocks including POE, PAO and GTL.
I'm not saying you're wrong. I just think the EP line is on par with ESP but I can't prove that. With that said, yes, the ESP oils do hold the higher approval standards.

I'm aware. My point is the ESP line is not significantly better than their top tier full syn PCMO. The EP line is their top of the line as is ESP. Different formulations. XOM tested the **** out of the EP line in severe service in multiple taxi fleets and Mass. State Police. They're using EP not ESP.
It is better.
XOM would from financial standpoint have very similar products, but they don’t. It is more expensive to make ESP.
Where XOM tests oil is very often not shared, and in some instances it is bcs. people get fired up by it (Mass. State Police). What matters are controlled tests to get certain results. All tests are valuable, but controlled tests are key. In taxi vehicles and state police cars you cannot have controlled test. But it is good read on internet.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I just think the EP line is on par with ESP but I can't prove that. With that said, yes, the ESP oils do hold the higher approval standards.
So, devil's advocate, if it's just as good, why not also test it to those standards then? That would be something they could market and tout....

So, devil's advocate, if it's just as good, why not also test it to those standards then? That would be something they could market and tout....
Market diversification? I don't know. I guess the ESP line is better being it meets the higher standard Euro specs and contains POE. I looked at it more as just a different formulation approach with different targeted market. Being ESP does meet the more stringent specs, you'd have to say ESP is better.

Market diversification? I don't know. I guess the ESP line is better being it meets the higher standard Euro specs and contains POE. I looked at it more as just a different formulation approach with different targeted market. Being ESP does meet the more stringent specs, you'd have to say ESP is better.
Better is elusive word.
In my 2GR-FE that is easy on oil? Yes, M1 EP 5W30 is better because I could pick it up at Wal Mart at tgat time for $24 at the same time I am picking up toothpaste.

In moder turbo GDI engines? ESP is better, regardless what is recommended. If I had lets say new Highlander with turbo engine? Yes, I would strictly use ESP or oil from that category, because, it is better.

Nothing here says how oil will perform in the end.
Everything is “should,” “would.” We discussed this long time ago, final product is the only thing that matters. ESP use various base stocks including POE, PAO and GTL.
no more GTL in the new 5w-30 esp version(api sp version )🙁, not sure about the pao... but it seems its gone too. Was looking at mobil1.de so i could be wrong since the msds(german language)

no more GTL in the new 5w-30 esp version(api sp version )🙁, not sure about the pao... but it seems its gone too. Was looking at mobil1.de so i could be wrong since the msds(german language)

Hazardous Substance(s) or Complex Substance(s) required for disclosure Name CAS# Concentration* GHS Hazard Codes
C14-16-18 ALKYL PHENOL Confidential 0.1 - < 1% H317, H373
POLYOLEFIN POLYAMINE SUCCINIMIDE 147880-09-9 1 - < 5% None

Hazardous Substance(s) or Complex Substance(s) required for disclosure Name CAS# Concentration* GHS Hazard Codes
C14-16-18 ALKYL PHENOL Confidential 0.1 - < 1% H317, H373
POLYOLEFIN POLYAMINE SUCCINIMIDE 147880-09-9 1 - < 5% None
please provide link

It is in German MSDS.
Do not forget, MSDS only lists compounds that are dangerous.
yes, i know that. We have to wait for the English version to be sure. Not that it really matters to me. They have the SP version in store in my country but they haven't updated the homepage.

The German one is now API SP in addition to C3.
But SDS is always iffy. Highly doubt PAO and GTL are almost nonexistent.
There is a crapload more stuff on the .DE one lol

2-PENTANOL, 4-
METHYL-,
HYDROGEN
PHOSPHORODI
THIOATE,
ZINKSALZ
2215-35-2 218-679-9 01-2119953275-34 0.1 - < 1% [Acute Tox. 5
H303],
[Aquatic Acute 2
H401],
Aquatic Chronic 2
H411,
Skin Irrit. 2 H315,
Eye Dam. 1 H318
Skin Irrit. 2 H315
10.01% ≤ C ≤
100%,
Eye Dam. 1 H318
10.01% ≤ C ≤ 100%
ATE (ORAL) =
2230 MG/KG
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
BIS(NONYLPHE
NYL)AMINE
36878-20-3 253-249-4 01-2119488911-28 1 - < 5% [Skin Irrit. 3 H316] -
Reaktionsmasse
aus Isomeren
von C7-9-Alkyl-3-
(3,5-di-tert-butyl4-
hydroxyphenyl)pr
opionat
125643-61-0 406-040-9 01-2119830067-43 1 - < 5% Aquatic Chronic 4
H413
-
PHOSPHORDIT
HIOSÄURE,
MISCHUNG AUS
0,0 BIS (1,3-
DIMETHYLBUTY
L- UND
ISOPROPYL-)ES
TERN,
ZINKSALZE
84605-29-8 283-392-8 01-2119493626-26 0.1 - < 1% [Acute Tox. 5
H303],
[Aquatic Acute 2
H401],
Aquatic Chronic 2
H411,
Skin Irrit. 2 H315,
Eye Dam. 1 H318
Skin Irrit. 2 H315
6.25% ≤ C ≤ 100%,
Eye Dam. 1 H318
12.51% ≤ C ≤
100%,
Eye Irrit. 2 H319
10% ≤ C ≤ 12.51%
Destillate (Erdöl),
schwere
paraffinische
nach
Hydrotreating
64742-54-7 265-157-1 01-2119484627-25 40 - < 50% Asp. Tox. 1 H304 -
Destillate (Erdölstämmige), mit
Lösemittel
entwachste
schwere
paraffinische
64742-65-0 265-169-7 01-2119471299-27 1 - < 5% Asp. Tox. 1 H304 -
TRIS(BRANCHE
D-ALKYL)
BORAT
- CONFIDENTIAL NB 0.1 - < 1% Skin Sens. 1B
H317
Skin Sens. 1B
H317 72% ≤ C

"This discussion was not even about API/ILSAC,
  • It was about the fact that all new LSPI-certified oils will have reduced calcium and added magnesium soon, and most will carry an API-SP approval as well—indicating global LSPI certification. Some here were disputing this fact, and I was explaining that they were simply wrong and why. The reason is simply because it is unproductive for the additive companies to try to make all-calcium LSPI-certified oils given strict ZDDP limits by any Euro or non-Euro OEM now, as calcium starts linearly increasing the number of LSPI events after 1,000 ppm, and you can't even have half the ZDDP content you need to quench these events to acceptable limits.
You need to understand how oils are made and approved. The additive companies make and preapprove the oils—not the automotive OEMs, not the oil blenders. They are preapproved for blending, labeling, and sale. Then you need to understand that global oil approvals go hand by hand. You cannot separate ACEA/Euro-OEM approvals from ILSAC approvals because both ACEA/Euro-OEM and ILSAC additive packages are made by the same additive companies, and global oil approvals evolve simultaneously. For example ACEA and ILSAC have identical ASTM LSPI tests and test limits. Many of the other ACEA tests are also the same American ASTM tests in ILSAC.

Coming back to ACEA/Euro vs. ILSAC, the main difference is possible higher antioxidant (AO) content in ACEA/Euro-OEM oils. Most ILSAC oils also satisfy or explicitly have some ACEA/Euro-OEM approvals. Extended-performance ILSAC oils with higher antioxidant (AO) content sold here should be as good as or better than the best Euro-OEM oils out there, and some of them carry all the Euro-OEM approvals as well. For example, Castrol Edge 0W-20 SP carries an ACEA-C5 approval, and Castrol Edge EP 0W-20 SP with higher antioxidant (AO) content carries an ACEA-C6 approval and virtually all the strict Euro-OEM approvals."

Last edited:

"This discussion was not even about API/ILSAC,
  • It was about the fact that all new LSPI-certified oils will have reduced calcium and added magnesium soon, and most will carry an API-SP approval as well—indicating global LSPI certification. Some here were disputing this fact, and I was explaining that they were simply wrong and why. The reason is simply because it is unproductive for the additive companies to try to make all-calcium LSPI-certified oils given strict ZDDP limits by any Euro or non-Euro OEM now, as calcium starts linearly increasing the number of LSPI events after 1,000 ppm, and you can't even have half the ZDDP content you need to quench these events to acceptable limits.
You need to understand how oils are made and approved. The additive companies make and preapprove the oils—not the automotive OEMs, not the oil blenders. They are preapproved for blending, labeling, and sale. Then you need to understand that global oil approvals go hand by hand. You cannot separate ACEA/Euro-OEM approvals from ILSAC approvals because both ACEA/Euro-OEM and ILSAC additive packages are made by the same additive companies, and global oil approvals evolve simultaneously. For example ACEA and ILSAC have identical ASTM LSPI tests and test limits. Many of the other ACEA tests are also the same American ASTM tests in ILSAC.

Coming back to ACEA/Euro vs. ILSAC, the main difference is possible higher antioxidant (AO) content in ACEA/Euro-OEM oils. Most ILSAC oils also satisfy or explicitly have some ACEA/Euro-OEM approvals. Extended-performance ILSAC oils with higher antioxidant (AO) content sold here should be as good as or better than the best Euro-OEM oils out there, and some of them carry all the Euro-OEM approvals as well. For example, Castrol Edge 0W-20 SP carries an ACEA-C5 approval, and Castrol Edge EP 0W-20 SP with higher antioxidant (AO) content carries an ACEA-C6 approval and virtually all the strict Euro-OEM approvals."
It depends. Blenders do send oils for approvals. I personally did it.
Approving entity (VW for example) reservers right to ask blenders for specimens. It is not uncommon for blenders to have their own formula that deviates from pre-approved. In that case, it has to be approved by VW for example.

Back