Ecogard s241 Virgin C&P

Call me Debbie Downer, but now that PG/EG are making excellent quality filters for a reasonable price, how long until First Brands or Mann Hummel buys them out and discontinues the products?
let’s not talk it into fruition 😂

When Motorking was active here, he explained how Fram bases the "up to" mileage use rating based on the holding capacity - iirc, he mentioned a worse case of 1 gram of debris generated per 1000 miles for a typical engine. I'm betting a well taken care of engine produces way less than that, and the "up to" rating is probably more based on a typical "clean" running engine with less than the 1g/1K rate. Fram and other big filter companies most likely do some field testing to collect some real world in use data.
Good Morning ZeeOSix,
Thank you for your detailed reply. The 1 gram per 1K miles makes good, practical sense from an engineering perspective. I can see how a company could build tests around it and then engineer the media for a specific life.
Your point on the well taken care of engine is a good one too. When I change the oil at 5-6k miles, (Subaru specifies 6k), visually it still looks good meaning its not completely black and still has transparency. Part of it may also be our mileage is over 90% highway, the engine reaches temp and my wife and I drive minimizing hard accelerations, especially on a cold engine; a learning from this community.

Last edited:
Looks to be a well-made filter, Amazon showing ~$10 for my (7317/14610) application. Though not a zealot on that sort of thing, going to "try" to stay with price competitive domestic made filters for as long as I can. That said, been eyeing the AAP CQ Premium Blue for ~$6.60 (my app) after code if that plan no longer possible.

Thanks for c&p.

Looks to be a well-made filter, Amazon showing ~$10 for my (7317/14610) application. Though not a zealot on that sort of thing, going to "try" to stay with price competitive domestic made filters for as long as I can. That said, been eyeing the AAP CQ Premium Blue for ~$6.60 (my app) after code if that plan no longer possible.

Thanks for c&p.
Did you scroll down to other sellers on Amazon? These were near $9 but other vendors were cheaper and the one I mentioned prior used boxes and I got one day service

Did you scroll down to other sellers on Amazon?
No, just cursory front page ships from Amazon price S4610. But looking now, S&S could save 50 cents off price. Ironically, the only other listing, Ecogard Automotive price ~$17. o_O I wouldn't consider anything other than new, and ships from Amazon preference. So, nothing to change previous plan. Goes to the CQ Blue price, could be a future consideration. The 7317/14610 a popular application.

This morning I tried the death grip approach to remove the media from the center tube and caps.
Simply grab the media once out of the can and squeeze the media to pop it out with no cutting etc. ( one hand only)
I was not able to do this on the S241 and I did zero damage to the media slash pleats.

Now on the Fram TG and EG I quickly popped the media off the center tube with little effort.
Nothing more than an observation

No, just cursory front page ships from Amazon price S4610. But looking now, S&S could save 50 cents off price. Ironically, the only other listing, Ecogard Automotive price ~$17. o_O I wouldn't consider anything other than new, and ships from Amazon preference. So, nothing to change previous plan. Goes to the CQ Blue price, could be a future consideration. The 7317/14610 a popular application.
No problem but if you see a seller TruTrans on Amazon they are one day delivery and all filters are boxed. I ordered twice from them and they were great and the cheapest.

I received a collect call from @KCJeep last night and without revealing private details he threatened to end the PG-EG reign of terror. I found him to be rather obnoxious and an angry individual. He will be posting his concerns later today.
Personally I think he is just jealous of the PG fanfare of late.

Made in China - Nope!

Next!

Thank you, Zee09 for the reverse-engineering disassembly.

Hopefully some stateside manufacturers are presently haunting and emptying and quantifying the salivation cups from today and thus wising up.

I received a collect call from @KCJeep last night and without revealing private details he threatened to end the PG-EG reign of terror. I found him to be rather obnoxious and an angry individual. He will be posting his concerns later today.
Personally I think he is just jealous of the PG fanfare of late.

Not my fault. I have to call collect from jail, and being incarcerated interferes with my therapy schedule. :mad:

Made in China - Nope!

Next!

Thank you, Zee09 for the reverse-engineering disassembly.

Hopefully some stateside manufacturers are presently haunting and emptying and quantifying the salivation cups from today and thus wising up.
Yeah, I hate buying Chinese but how are we going to filter the oil in our Korean, Mexican, and German cars not to mention Japanese... :unsure:

No problem but if you see a seller TruTrans on Amazon they are one day delivery and all filters are boxed. I ordered twice from them and they were great and the cheapest.
TruTrans also sells on Walmart.com. I had good experience with them and all filters were boxed. I compare their prices between Amazon and Walmart.com as prices/sales differ between the two platforms.

Back