EcoGard S4651, 4,540 miles/1 year C&P

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an EcoGard S4651 "Synthetic" filter from my 2002 F150. 196,600 miles on truck, 4,540 miles/1 year on filter. Oil was Castrol GTX HM 5w-20.

HERE is a virgin sample of this filter from a few years ago

Filter, label is peeling from the brake clean that dripped on it, it was intact before that:
[Linked Image]

No question when this was made:
[Linked Image]

Spiral hole center tube:
[Linked Image]

Baseplate:
[Linked Image]

Silicone ADV is nice and pliable, no slits or cuts:
[Linked Image]

Inside, metal end caps:
[Linked Image]

Metal crimp, good pleat spacing throughout, glue is pretty good:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Coil Spring:
[Linked Image]

Inside can, you can see where the magnets were:
[Linked Image]

Per the EcoGard rep I talked to, it is a synthetic blend media that is 99.9% efficient > 25um and 97.22% efficient > 20um.
So pretty good numbers, better than a Wix and most OEM.
Also rated for 10,000 miles, take that for what it is worth.
Price on Amazon and Walmart.com for these is $6.80 right now, but have seen them in the $3-4 range as an add-on at Amazon.

Overall I am satisfied with this filter. I will be cutting the media in a few days and post it once it dries out to see what it caught.
I did notice that I did not have as much black flakes that I have had past few changes, so not sure if it is a filter thing or engine thing.
HERE is the C&P of the X4651 from my truck

If I find this filter as an add-on item on Amazon for ~$3-4, I will get it again, I think it is on par with something like the Toughguard or even a regular Wix.
At current price, TG is a better deal IMO.
I also have no real issue using the regular version of this filter again for $2.50.
It is probably what I will get for both the F150's I change oil on once my filter stash runs out (2 TG2 left). Or maybe just a Fram PH2.

Here is the video of the cut open:

I put in some Castrol Magnatec 5w-20 Synthetic and my last Bosch D1 filter:
[Linked Image]

Total cost: $3.57.
Gotta love clearance deals...

Originally Posted by blupupher
This is an EcoGard S4651 "Synthetic" filter from my 2002 F150. 196,600 miles on truck, 4,540 miles/1 year on filter. Oil was Castrol GTX HM 5w-20.

HERE is a virgin sample of this filter from a few years ago

Filter, label is peeling from the brake clean that dripped on it, it was intact before that:
[Linked Image]

No question when this was made:
[Linked Image]

Spiral hole center tube:
[Linked Image]

Baseplate:
[Linked Image]

Silicone ADV is nice and pliable, no slits or cuts:
[Linked Image]

Inside, metal end caps:
[Linked Image]

Metal crimp, good pleat spacing throughout, glue is pretty good:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Coil Spring:
[Linked Image]

Inside can, you can see where the magnets were:
[Linked Image]

Per the EcoGard rep I talked to, it is a synthetic blend media that is 99.9% efficient > 25um and 97.22% efficient > 20um.
So pretty good numbers, better than a Wix and most OEM.
Also rated for 10,000 miles, take that for what it is worth.
Price on Amazon and Walmart.com for these is $6.80 right now, but have seen them in the $3-4 range as an add-on at Amazon.

Overall I am satisfied with this filter. I will be cutting the media in a few days and post it once it dries out to see what it caught.
I did notice that I did not have as much black flakes that I have had past few changes, so not sure if it is a filter thing or engine thing.
HERE is the C&P of the X4651 from my truck

If I find this filter as an add-on item on Amazon for ~$3-4, I will get it again, I think it is on par with something like the Toughguard or even a regular Wix.
At current price, TG is a better deal IMO.
I also have no real issue using the regular version of this filter again for $2.50.
It is probably what I will get for both the F150's I change oil on once my filter stash runs out (2 TG2 left). Or maybe just a Fram PH2.

Here is the video of the cut open:

I put in some Castrol Magnatec 5w-20 Synthetic and my last Bosch D1 filter:
[Linked Image]

Total cost: $3.57.
Gotta love clearance deals...

Nice pics and thank you for c&p
wink.gif

These are sturdy and efficient filters. Definitely a sleeper unless you know better. I've used them on a Monte I used to own and on the CX-5 with good results after each dissection. They can be had on Rock Auto in the $4 range as well.

I have some EcoGard X4011 premium (not synthetic) filters, cut one open and they look good inside. Not as good as this one but still pretty good. EcoGard calls the X4011 premium but on rockauto.com they are under the "economy" filter category... got 'em for $1.86 each back in the day so that makes sense. I am using my other name brand filters before I use these, if at all. Thanks for the C&P.

DGXR, yea, the regular Ecogard are OK filters, just fine for a 5000 mile interval for most, especially when you can find them for $1.50 or so (I got 2 for like $3 from Walmart when they first came out).

I do like these synthetic ones, but cost is a bit high, even on Rock auto unless your buying something else and don't have to pay extra shipping.

I bought a bunch of these filters from RA a while back to do oil changes for the MIL's escape. I always open the filter cans to inspect. I have been very happy with these Ecogard filters. Thanks for the C&P.

Well, finally got around to cutting the media and looking at it.
I think it has a very similar feel to the Mobil 1 filters I have cut open in the past, seems to be a very strong blended media.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looks a lot better than the last few I have cut open (previous ones have had a lot of carbon bits in it, this one not really). It is only 4500 miles though, I am usually closer to 6000.

Again, overall, I really like this filter. Only thing is the price, when these first come on the scene, you could get them for ~$4 on Walmart.com or Amazon, but they are now $7 on Walmart.com and $10 on Amazon.
No thanks at that price.
They are $3.56 on Rockauto (+shipping) so if your ordering something from there already and shipping is not a problem, then that would be a good option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back