Doesn't everyone here want the best? Win vs MAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think he needs a computer quite that expensive. He just needs a desktop computer, PC or MAC, to meet his needs. And a supercomputer like that, running whatever operating system it is using, does not change the fact that 95% of desktop computers in the world are running some version of Windows.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
I don't think he needs a computer quite that expensive. He just needs a desktop computer, PC or MAC, to meet his needs. And a supercomputer like that, running whatever operating system it is using, does not change the fact that 95% of desktop computers in the world are running some version of Windows.

But it is the best as he expected.

They built a better one. The NEC Earth monster was on the top of the list up to 2004, when IBM Blue overpassed it with superior architecture that was half the price to implement. But Panda's point was the most expensive computer - and all that 'best' transitivity nonsense.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
Where is the other approximately 10% of operating systems? The information here agrees with some of the things I have been able to find out. For example, Macs are probably about 5% of desktop computers in the world as a whole. It is very difficult to find out exactly what percentage Macs are in the USA. Some people estimate 10%. Some estimate 15%. The information here indicates about 10% by combining both the Mac OS X and the iOS operating systems. There probably are not a lot of older Mac operating systems so there are a lot of desktop computers missing.

From those that track this sort of stuff, Mac usage is about 10-12% in the USA and outpacing the PC industry. They are slightly less than 10% worldwide. IIRC none of that counts iOS in the mix as they are counted in the mobile space.

Apple is the #3 or #4 vendor of computers (desktops + laptops) in the USA and again outpacing the industry.

Here's some stats for the stat heads:
http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=1744216
http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS22937811

That being said use what works for you.

Exactly my point. It is what works for you. Apple could have 90% of the market and if they do not meet my needs I will use something else. Actually, we need more competition in the computer OS field. I keep wondering when it is going to happen. If there were ten OSs with about equal market share we would be better off in reality. For one thing, the malware people would have a hard time targeting.

There are certain things I need from a computer. Since I do photography I need for whatever OS I use to be compatible with my printers and scanners. No excuses. I need an OS that will run whatever photo editing software I use. That has been Photoshop for a long time. But if there was a really good replacment for Photoshop at a cheaper price I would go with that. And of course office software, being able to search the internet (preferably safely), email, etc. That is what I want. I don't really care very much for the 'mobile lifestyle' or whatever. When I take a trip I take my photography equipment and my clothes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back