HP vs DELL vs MAC - my recent experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mystic
Final Cut Pro was actually used in movie production.

It still is! It is a very vital piece of software, second only to Avid-branded production software in popularity among professional video production houses.

In the Windows world I became very fond of Sony's Vegas, simply because it's interface and workflow were very intuitive to me right out of the box (it is also a very capable audio production workstation in stark contrast to Final Cut). I was never involved in any heavy compositing or effects so my needs were very basic. These days, as a matter of fact, I use OpenShot on Ubuntu and it works just fine. It is nowhere near as sophisticated as Vegas, which in turn is nowhere near as sophisticated as Final Cut; but they're all much more sophisticated than I! :^)

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Originally Posted By: Mystic
Apple has iMovie and then another professional quality movie making program-I never owned it and I can't remember the name. But I do know that a lot of people were complaining when some features of that software were removed.

Final Cut. Final Cut Pro version 9 was, as were the versions prior, an excellent if not unnecessarily complex piece of professional-grade software. Final Cut X was a stripped-down (dumbed-down?) mistake and Apple heard plenty about it from their professional base.

Yep, that was it. Thanks for chiming in. Heard many complaints re: its de-contenting

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Yep, that was it. Thanks for chiming in. Heard many complaints re: its de-contenting

They had a great model to work with, too: iMovie was for consumers and Final Cut for pro's. Then they attempted to make Final Cut a little more "easy" and the professional community lost their heads. I do not really keep up with Final Cut's development but I think Apple has been listening to their customers on this issue, not wanting to lose valuable market share.

None of the big brands in consumer grade computers are put together well these days compare to the old days. I bought a laptop in 2003 (Dell Inspiron 500M) and it is still holding up well today, but my father in law's 700M are complete junk that I have replaced many parts (i.e. keyboard, LCD back light circuit board) already. My niece's Dell laptop also won't last more than 1 year before it goes into thermal shutdown every hour sitting idle. HP has been even worse on their consumer grade stuff.

However I've never got a bad business grade laptop ever.

Mac seems to build to at least business grade quality, they are durable but I do not like some of their "features" like the glossy display and the aluminum shell (hard to grip and very heavy), especially if you have to run Windows all day for work (no, many industrial software do not run on OSX).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back