Help me chose a new printer

Hi everyone.
I just bought a new Acer 315 chromebook, because my old laptop gets messed up evertime I connect it to the internet.

This new Acer 315 is not compatible with my old
Dell 1130 laser printer. It seems there is not a driver out there that can be loaded on to the Acer that will enable it to work with a Dell 1130 printer.

There is a long list of printers that are compatible with the acer. I only go through about a ream of paper a year.

I want the quality of nice print from a laser printer. And I can get by easily with only having black and white. It would be nice to have a scanner but that's not actually necessary.

Does anyone have any idea of what printers would be reliable and low cost when it comes time to replacing the toner for the laser printer, and decently low cost for the printer, out of all the ones that are available that are compatible with the acer 315?

In other words what's the best choice, best bang for the buck?

I tried to link a website that lists all of the printers that are compatible with that laptop.But I wasn't able to do that.

IMG_6574.jpeg

It's more about the OS than the actual computer model itself. Maybe the old Dell drivers aren't compatible with Windows 10/11 :sneaky:

Google probably has a list of Chromebook-compatible printers :unsure:

As others have said, I would research Brother printers and get one. They are not fussy about 'genuine' consumables.

Wirecutter recommends HL-L2350DW or MFCL2750DW. The latter is similar to one I have, Brother DCPL2540DW. Going strong after 9 years of regular use.

Whatever is on sale, and a refill your own cartridge kit from Amazon. My HP all in one tells on me for refilling cartridges, but I don't care.

And don't refill the cartridges like you are 'supposed to' though the little hole under the sticker - I use a fine gauge needle and stick it through the felt - much easier

Never owned a brother printer but everyone in the small duty world seems to love them.

We have two brother laser all-in-one. No way would I go back to any other brand and I've owned pretty much all of them over the last three decades.

I've always preferred Brother Printers. They seem to last a good long time and consumables are reasonable.
I did too but I currently have one that bit the dust, HL-5250DN and honestly it didn't get that much use. I have had it for years and only replaced the toner maybe 2 or 3 times and never the drum unit. I still have it but from what I remember it's a power issue and won't turn on so I ended up buying a Kyocera P2040dw. When you install a printer in Windows there should be an option somewhere to update their list of printers, once you are able to update that it should have it. The Brother I had was so old I don't even think that they even had it on their list so I always had to get it directly from them.

I'm sorry you said Chromebook... your options may end up being somewhat limited. I found with Ubuntu that the Dell 1130 is basically just a rebadged Samsung printer and the ML-1915 driver worked, someone else mentioned the ML-2580N so try one of those.

Last edited:
Dcpl2550dw here, it likes original toner best but some aftermarket toners also work very well.
If you need printer only then figure if you need double sided printing.
If you need a multi function device then figure if you need feeder or flat bed only, if feeder then whether you need ability to scan both sides. Also if you need scan to PDFs and scan to email.

Back