What was your first computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the spirit of 53' Stude's smartphone thread, which got me feeling kind of nostalgic... what was your first computer?

Macintosh Performa 6400 here. My dad got it to do some work from home (graphic artist). I played a ton of Apeiron (Centipede) on it.... I wonder if I can still get that on my MacBook Pro?

Afterthought: growing up with macs I was mad because I wanted to play PC games with my best friend in school, and couldn't. I swore up and down I'd never buy anything Apple, my first couple smart phones were android even.

As soon as I got my license and a job I saved up and bought a gaming laptop, which I replaced after 2 years with an even more powerful one... well, after almost frisbee'ing (I really really wanted too at least) the last laptop onto the ground out of frustration with windows 10 I went back to consoles and just a few weeks ago bought my own Mac. It was at that point I realized I have turned into a younger version of my father, which I'm perfectly okay with lol

Last edited:
First PC I used in earnest was a Commodore PET in 1979. I wrote a natty little program to simulate the Visbreaker heat exchanger train on the oil refinery I was working at the time.

First PC I bought for myself was an Amstrad PCW 8256 in 1985. The 256 in the name denoted the 256 KB of RAM it had! It ran on CP/M & had a word processor called Locoscript.

I've bought several PC's & laptops since then. While each has been significantly more powerful than its predecessor, I can't help but think computers have become increasingly boring & I have become a progressively lazier user. These days, other than for gaming, I tend to do most stuff on my phone.

Toshiba Satellite 1715XCDS laptop. Mostly played computer games and the occasional schoolwork stuff. Driver PC was my jam and what kickstarted PC gaming for me.
First desktop PC was a Compaq Presario with an intel P4 5xx series processor and latest chipset. Motherboard had a PCI-E slot which was a big plus especially with AGP graphics cards dwindling down. Threw on a nvidia 6600GT and beefier power supply and I was jamming BF2 and GTA:SA. And schoolwork stuff.

Computer of any kind: Commodore 64. Hooked to an old TV set with the optional cassette storage system, we were digital in 1985! I wanted a Commodore 128 next but didn't have the cash being 17 years old.

My first PC was an Amstrad PC512DD. I got it from Best Buy and used it for two years to write my college papers and print them on my old 9-pin dot matrix printer. Added in a 1200 baud internal modem from Radio Shack to go online via Prodigy. It was 1989. Junked it by 1993 for a huge Compaq 286 with an amber monochrome screen. Didn't use Macs until 2013 and now I use both ....

BBC, in about 1987. Got it off someone who was selling up and moving out. We didn't know a thing about computers, but it was a fun thing to play around with. Programs were on tapes, loaded them with a cassette recorder.

Macintosh 512k, something like 1986 maybe ? With the huge Imagewriter printer and second floppy disc reader, lol.
Was too frustrated for years because of games only on PC, so when I could built a gaming PC...and now I'm not even gaming anymore
smile.gif

IBM PS/1 486DX266 with Windows 3.1 in 1993. I think it had 1 MB of memory...but I could be mistaken.

AMD 386DX 40Mhz CPU
4MBs RAM
170MB HDD
3,5" floppy disk
Microsoft DOS OS version 5
a mouse for Windows 3.1
a keyboard
and a 14" Super Vga monitor
The grafics card was capable of 640X480 at 256 colours
All these back in 1993
In the following years it was updated with a Creative Sound blaster audio card and a 4X Sony cdrom drive
7 years later while taking a computer class in University,saw a few old motherboards hanging at the wall with some ram sticks on them,told the supervisor "these rams are compatible with my old computer!".She let me get 4 additional MBs of Ram so the system was updated to 8MBs RAM!
I succesfully installed Windows 95 on it and ran pretty fast on it!,but could it could not play an mp3 file on Winamp,not enough CPU power! (played half a second and muted 10 while the cpu made the calculations!)
18.gif

I remember when we got our first home computer(~1998) however, I can't for the life of me remember the brand. We bought from one of those(24/7/365) shopping networks on cable. And the system came with with way too many accessories grouped together that we never used and paid too much for the whole setup.

Not that we paid too much money for everything as a system(compared to buying individual items), it was just that we didn't need everything that the system came with and we could have save money by just getting what we needed even if we would have bought a home computer locally.

The real deal for us was that the whole system came with FREE lifetime Alta Vista dial-up internet which unfortunately only lasted for a few months(SCAM).

Last edited:
Early to mid 80s Atari Commodore connected to 19" tv. Man, we thought we really had something. I don't remember doing much with it though.

First computer was a 386 pentium with 1 megabyte of RAM and a 40 megabyte hard drive. This was a DOS machine with a monochrome amber minotor.

It had a 5.25 in floppy too. Let's not forget the turbo button!!

This back back in 1989.

Last edited:
A Compaq (top of the line brand back in those days) 386 with Windows 3.1. My dad bought used from his work at the hydro plant. That was our first family computer. The second one was a Dell Pentium 166mhz with 32mb of ram if I remember right.

Commodore Amiga...with later purchased 25MB hard drive extension...it's up in my garage

Was $1,000 in 1989 dollars and came with a free stereo (with double cassette deck)

TI-99/4A was my first. Hooked up to the TV and a cassette player. Later we got the Peripheral Expansion Box, 32k memory, modem, monitor, and 90k (later 360k) 5.25" floppies. Had it in the basement up until a few years ago when a flood took it out.

If you want to go back even further, when I first went to uni in 1974, I started computing with 'punched cards'! The card reader looked something like an industrial lathe!

I remember I was writing a program for a phosphoric acid scrubber (imaginatively called /PHOS). The stack of cards was about two inches thick & boy were you in trouble if you dropped them because you had to sort them all out by hand.

Although I never owned one, I had a customer at Conoco who did a lot of his day-to-day calcs on an Osbourne-1. It must have been around 1985. I remember it used 8" floppy discs!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back