What was your first computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Drive was a Plextor 4X IIRC, and if you did ANYTHING while it was burning, you risked buggering the disc.

I still find myself exhibiting OCD levels of caution when burning optical media.

Originally Posted by Garak
Drive was a Plextor 4X IIRC, and if you did ANYTHING while it was burning, you risked buggering the disc.

I still find myself exhibiting OCD levels of caution when burning optical media.

Hahaahah, yeah, I was conditioned for a LONG time after that.

I refuse to browse the web, and walk away, and return every couple minutes to give the mouse a touch so the screen saver doesn't "get me."
wink.gif

Our iMac g3 was like that! I still sit there and wiggle the mouse, just in case... and always run the verify disk option!

I don't miss those days, because they clearly still exist in my mind.
wink.gif

LOL!!!
lol.gif

I don't miss those days, because they clearly still exist in my mind.
wink.gif

I'm the "sound engineer" as my pastor calls me for our church's FM radio broadcast, he handed me a CD today and asked to use it on next weeks broadcast... he was absolutely amazed that my MacBook Pro does not have a CD drive
lol.gif

Just call me Pastor Dre
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by Skippy722
I'm the "sound engineer" as my pastor calls me for our church's FM radio broadcast, he handed me a CD today and asked to use it on next weeks broadcast... he was absolutely amazed that my MacBook Pro does not have a CD drive
lol.gif

Reminds me of what happened a couple weeks back. My little brother wanted to sell his old MacBook Pro. He wants to delete his data. Instead, he deletes the hard drive, OS and all. Good going. Fortunately, Apple has something you can do with an internet connection for recovery, but my first instinct is always to grab a LiveCd or LiveDVD of something and at the bare minimum see what's available for recovery partitions and examine the damage, but that was out of the question.

When I was in high school a buddy of mine bought one of those complete NEC computer systems. Came with Windows 95 IIRC, a Pentium 200MMX and 8MB of RAM. I remember him saving up for the Adaptec SCSI card so I could put a CD-R drive in it. Drive was a Plextor 4X IIRC, and if you did ANYTHING while it was burning, you risked buggering the disc.

Yeah, I remember those Adaptec 2940 controllers. They used to be over $300. Now worthless. SCSI everything was better than IDE.

Originally Posted by red7404
my first computer. C=64 in 1999. Apple is swear word for me.

I've always stayed away from Apple. People used to ask me why their mac was slow and I'd say It's a Mac!

Anyway, I'm happy I don't know much about them, really good with PC, but when people have Apple questions for them, I tell them I can't help them and to get a PC. Same with their iphone. I never have to ask anyone for help on my PC or Android. Then again, I know how to use google.

Stumbled across this video. This was my first printer I owned which was with my 386.

The banners I printed on the Print-Shop program with this and the amount of school work I did in Word Perfect on this thing was staggering. It was also nice because it worked with Epson FX-80 generic print drivers if the Star NX-2420 driver wasn't available for whatever software you were using.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1jojSZsoqo

386 SX 16Mhz, 1MB Ram (chipped instead of slot), 40MB HDD (3.5" double height), 14" VGA monitor.

I think it was a bargain special left over model, it was only around $1k when every other model was at least $1500-2000.

Gateway 2000 P5-100 desktop, 100MHz Pentium, 16MB RAM, 1.2GB HD, Windows 95, 28k modem. Eventually upgraded to 72MB RAM and a 56k modem once we hooked it up to internet. We had that computer for about 8 years, eventually serving as an extra word processing computer for school work.

I seem to remember my parents spending over $2k for the whole desktop, monitor, speaker and printer setup, which was a big deal for our family. I remember fighting with my three other siblings to use it to type up school work. It was much easier to type school papers than to write by hand.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rick505
Northgate (hardly anyone remembers them) XT clone with "turbo" boost 4.77 and 8 mHz speed. Even had a Hard Drive instead of dual floppies. Included "hercules" mono graphics card and Amber monitor. They later sold their keyboards for folks who loved the mechanical switches. I thought I was a super stud when I bought a "286" clone. Man, I'm a geezer now!
eek.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hercules_Graphics_Card

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northgate_Computers

I remember the Hercules well, as I noted in my post earlier in the thread. Was yours switchable to CGA too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back