New computer advice: Mac vs Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If she gets the Mac, it will be very little in terms of involvement once she's familiar. Mac's update regularly too, you can always check to ensure you have the latest version of OSX, which is now a free upgrade.

I would suggest giving her a non-admin account on the Mac, and keep the admin account for yourself to do software maintenance and the like. That way, she can't accidentally install software she shouldn't. Though that's difficult to do as long as the untrusted sources option is kept to off.

I have not been impressed with Windows 10 at this juncture, though I do appreciate the speed increase it brings in some respects over 7. The full build updates break many programs, which, in the medical field, can be a huge PITA. Thus, most of the environments I'm involved in and most hospitals and care facilities I deal with are still using 7. There is talk of and testing being done with 10, but ensuring that vendor support for corresponding updates to their products to maintain compatibility is an issue still at this point.

Personally, I migrated to Mac at home on my main computer as well as my laptop. I have Windows VM's on both of them that I use when needed. I've been happy with that choice.

I would go for what will be the least trouble for the user (consider converting knowledge if going from Win to MAC for example) and for you to support.

Windows PCs typically provide more performance per dollar than a MAC.

It is going to be up to her. I am on her time schedule now. That will give me more time to research the Mac.

OVERKILL, you are my go to person for the technical aspects of computers. Let's just say you sometimes speak a language foreign to me, technically speaking. You laid it out pretty plain and simple. I suspected Windows 10 was having issues in area where you need solid and stable. To migrate to Mac would be a learning curve for me, but at least I have some Linux background.

I think short term it will be Windows for now, but long term Mac is a better solution based on the info I received. She needs something that just works. She has been satisfied with her Iphone and Ipad.

Win 10, classic shell and install the ms game pack you can get on the web for cards.

Originally Posted By: BeerCan
Win 10, classic shell and install the ms game pack you can get on the web for cards.

Interesting you say that. I just cloned Windows 10 onto her Samsung drive and transplanted it into another Optiplex. Switched her ram. Now 8gb. Has classic shell installed. Now to check out the cards. Thanks!

Other computer seemed faster with Windows 7. Still tinkering. Once I get it set up and test the computer out I will see if she wants to take a spin. Timing is everything. It also has a second hard drive 500 gb where I can back up her photos which is a plus.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
One of each is the way to go.

I agree.

Well Windows 10 test computer is actually doing good. So now to get the Apple.

Originally Posted By: HondaBroMike
Tablet PCs are the new learning curve that people can actually handle.

I got my mom a surface pro and she loves it

There is a saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Now I remember why I retired the Dell Inspiron she used for 7 years. Hard drive was full and I gave her my back-up Optiplex computer. The Optiplex worked well for over two years until this week. Her 9 year old computer came with a Vista Business license, XP installed and free upgrade to 7. I replaced placed power supply and graphics card at some point and it is working well. It is somewhat perky despite on 4gb of ram. So migrating right now onto a new 860 Evo Samsung 250 GB then the Sandisk hard drive will be saved for a quick switch out if she messes up the EVO.

There is good in bad. In summary:

1.I now have a new router.
2. I now have the EVO 850 from the infected computer and made a fully functioning Windows 10 Machine (her back-up computer)
3. I have convinced her to never use AOL Browser again! That is the best thing yet. I showed her how she could read emails using Firefox or Chrome as her browser.

Despite the initial pain and lack of sleep things are turning out well. I am pretty sure she will be happy until January 14th, 2020 when Windows 7 stops receiving support. In the mean time I have a Windows 10 computer to prepare for that day.
grin.gif

Windows 7 ULTIMATE is bad a$$. Drivers are super reliable being an NT kernel. It's tightly wound with drivers, BIOS and more WHQL windows certified drivers.

Last edited:
The transplant went well and the computer lives! Did the Magician thing and tomorrow will transfer needed files. Hard to tell what is needed? I have 450 gb on an external hard drive plus my other back-up drive. Much of it is AOL junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back