Doesn't everyone here want the best? Win vs MAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, what a flame bait post.

There is no best oil, best tire, best car, and, no, there is no best computer.

I own me a couple Apple products. Most run iOS and one runs OSX. I enjoy all of them. They work well for me. That's why I bought them.

There is still no way for me to archive my DVD and Blu Ray collection using the Mac though. Besides, the laptop hardware in my Mac Mini, which is more than adequate for everyday tasks, doesn't hold a candle to the encoding power of the 2600k i7 in my Windows PC. Then again, that Windows PC is infinitely louder and uses 4x the electricity as the Mini.

Just like a contractor who has no use for a Corvette on the job site or a soccer mom who has no use for monster mudder tires on her minivan, the idea of "best" lies in it's intended use.

Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
Girls stop the fight
smile.gif
Use Linux
smile.gif

Agreed. To heck with Windows and Mac.
wink.gif
I haven't paid for an OS in over ten years, and I don't plan on starting anytime soon.

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
Im just gonna butt in here-- I've been in the market for a laptop and came across a Dell Inspiron at Best Buy. Hey NICK R, are they any good?

Good if you like junk. I have no use for DELL's lower-tier notebooks. You are better served with an ASUS, Toshiba or Lenovo.

Originally Posted By: cmf
My windows never crashes, I have no issues with it, and macs are overpriced.

Overpriced!?!?!?!?

What are you talking about?!?!?!

It may be more than what your looking to spend on a computer. And if you do not need or want what they offer, than you would be correct. There overpriced for you.

But they are not over priced for what you get.

I paid $1699 for a quad core, 1 TB hard drive computer with a 27inch LED 1440 resolution 1000:1 contrast ratio screen.

Try finding JUST the screen else where.

No need, I already did that for you:
http://www.amazon.com/NEC-PA271w-bk-27-Inch-2560-1440/dp/B003LD1QRY

Now add a equally equipped computer to it. And Key board, and mouse, and cables.

I mean, I have no issues with Windows, I love it. I still use it on my laptop.

But Apple is not really overpriced. It's just expensive.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Im just gonna butt in here-- I've been in the market for a laptop and came across a Dell Inspiron at Best Buy. Hey NICK R, are they any good?

Good if you like junk. I have no use for DELL's lower-tier notebooks. You are better served with an ASUS, Toshiba or Lenovo.

I will +1 for the Toshiba.

I take my 17inch Toshiba to work every day. I have dropped the thing twice. It has a crack in the case to prove that. It still runs like brand new!

For the price, you get a VERY good computer with Toshiba.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
Why doesn't everyone here also own Macs? They are obviously the best.

I love Macs for what they are. It's just that "what they are" bears little resemblance to what I want from a computer. For my own personal use, customizability and bang-for-the-buck trump all. Thus, a Mac is pretty far from "the best" for my use.

Moreover, if you can't afford something, whether it's "the best" is irrelevant. Not everyone can afford a Mac.

If your car broke down as much as Windows crashes, would you keep it? If your car constantly had small problems like Windows does with viruses, malware, etc. Would you keep it?

Yes. My Windows-based PCs have been pretty rock solid for the past several years, so I'd be happy if my car were the same way.

Don't buy a Dell. They are garbage, I'm dealing with a lemon right now.

If you want a PC, fine, but realize that the same spec of parts in a PC will be as costly as a mac. It is the fallacy of this many GB or GHz, in lower quality parts to hit a price point. No thanks. For anyone who actually wants to use their machine and have a strong running machine for many years, these spec/price point machines are not a good buy compared to Mac or quality PC hardware, IMO.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

What he said.

I just scored this from Newegg 299.00 free shipping.
Not the fastest, but perfect for my wife.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230097

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Why do I get the feeling that the OP was specifically baiting me with his post? You know what OP= troll.

No, I actually was not baiting you. Thanks for calling me a troll though. What really does that mean? You don't like my opinion on Mac vs. PC, so I am a troll? It is my legitimate opinion that Mac is the better choice. I do understand there is no "best", but we are always in the pursuit of "best". Are we not? That is more what I was getting at. I actually think Apple is more of a value, when you add into all of the cost involved with the higher priced Windows software, Internet Security, etc. over the life of the computer. I just recently installed OSX Lion, $29.99. What is a fully loaded version on Windows 7 running these days? $319.99 from Microsoft!!!!!! Now, that is overpriced, is it not? How about the Windows Office, vs the Mac version of Office? Anyway, please don't call me names, not cool. And, I wasn't calling you out, I don't even know who you are.

Actually, a full OEM version of Home premium is $99.99. Also, the OSX you buy is only for use on an existing mac, unless you want to deal with hackintosh.

Why do I get the feeling that the OP was specifically baiting me with his post? You know what OP= troll.

No, I actually was not baiting you. Thanks for calling me a troll though. What really does that mean? You don't like my opinion on Mac vs. PC, so I am a troll? It is my legitimate opinion that Mac is the better choice. I do understand there is no "best", but we are always in the pursuit of "best". Are we not? That is more what I was getting at. I actually think Apple is more of a value, when you add into all of the cost involved with the higher priced Windows software, Internet Security, etc. over the life of the computer. I just recently installed OSX Lion, $29.99. What is a fully loaded version on Windows 7 running these days? $319.99 from Microsoft!!!!!! Now, that is overpriced, is it not? How about the Windows Office, vs the Mac version of Office? Anyway, please don't call me names, not cool. And, I wasn't calling you out, I don't even know who you are.

You brought the "T" word into this, and I have to say you were correct in doing so!

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
Originally Posted By: cmf
My windows never crashes, I have no issues with it, and macs are overpriced.

Overpriced!?!?!?!?

What are you talking about?!?!?!

It may be more than what your looking to spend on a computer. And if you do not need or want what they offer, than you would be correct. There overpriced for you.

But they are not over priced for what you get.

I paid $1699 for a quad core, 1 TB hard drive computer with a 27inch LED 1440 resolution 1000:1 contrast ratio screen.

Try finding JUST the screen else where.

No need, I already did that for you:
http://www.amazon.com/NEC-PA271w-bk-27-Inch-2560-1440/dp/B003LD1QRY

Now add a equally equipped computer to it. And Key board, and mouse, and cables.

I mean, I have no issues with Windows, I love it. I still use it on my laptop.

But Apple is not really overpriced. It's just expensive.

I like how you act like you're enlightening to me to the ways of buying computers.

Quad core: $160 for Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66 (you just said quad core so I can't match performance with what you have)
1 TB HD: $54 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148697

Apparently your computer doesn't have ram or a video card or a motherboard or a power supply unit or really anything.

And let's see, a 27 inch LCD (I think you mean LCD not LED, since you linked a LCD monitor) 2560 x 1440 1000:1 contract ratio for dun dun dun $900: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001523

Anyway... Macs are still overpriced. And they are not more than I'm willing to spend on a computer. But you are right, I do not want what they have to offer, which is essentially "ease of use" for computer illiterate people.

If you think that a $54 HD is the same longevity and quality of higher-cost parts, you have a lot to learn.

With the price difference between a PC and a Mac, you could buy several copies of Windows. However, normally the release cycle between Windows versions is long enough that most people just buy a new computer at that point.

Similar to how Apple obsoletes older hardware with newer versions of OSX.

The difference is price.

Both systems will run Windows. Both will (though not as easily and you need to be picky about hardware) run OSX.

On the Apple (unless we are talking Mac Pro) you are paying a premium for the aesthetics. The hardware is no different than a PC, particularly something like a DELL, who also has their PCB's fabbed by Foxconn.

Internet security? Security Essentials is FREE. An OEM copy of Windows is ~130.00. Office is comparably priced between platforms (assuming we are talking Microsoft Office) so that's a non-issue.

And PC's are generally far more flexible in terms of hardware upgrades(unless we are talking about notebooks).

Apple isn't targeted at the "value" segment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back