Do you think that's "thick" oil? Think again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: turnbowm
Originally Posted By: Shannow

Is start-up wear @ 0C the same for both 5W30 and 10W30?

Yep

Interesting. I thought that a lower viscosity oil would get pumped to various parts (valvetrain, in particular) quicker than a higher viscosity oil. Guess it doesn't matter as long as a residual film of oil separates the moving parts.

I did too. There is a lot less lifter chatter starting on a cold morning with 5w and 0w on both the engines in my sig. I don't think comparing UOA's is enough proof this is strictly a CAFE thing.

Well … some indicate that the “PDP gets it there” debate is not the same as how viscous fluids impact VVT etc …
Engine by engine and oil by oil …
I have two 30 engines on 40 I got on sale … they don’t seem bothered by it. When I grab 5w30 for a good price … they’ll go back on that …

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Interesting. I thought that a lower viscosity oil would get pumped to various parts (valvetrain, in particular) quicker than a higher viscosity oil. Guess it doesn't matter as long as a residual film of oil separates the moving parts.

His point is that it's not a lower viscosity oil, not at that temperature.

Herewith are viscosities for Pennzoil Platinum...

5W30 : 56.9 @ 40C, 10.3@100C
10W30: 63.3 @ 40C, 10.3@100C

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/full-synthetic-motor-oils/pennzoil-platinum.html

At 0C, the viscosity difference would be even greater.

Herewith are viscosities for Pennzoil Platinum...

5W30 : 56.9 @ 40C, 10.3@100C
10W30: 63.3 @ 40C, 10.3@100C

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/full-synthetic-motor-oils/pennzoil-platinum.html

At 0C, the viscosity difference would be even greater.

No not necessarily. It is a non-Newtonian fluid and the the viscosity change is not linear. There are examples of oils where the 5W rated oil is thinner than the equivalent 0W oil except at very low temperatures.

0W, 5W and 10W are ratings the oil has to meet at specific temperatures.

All 2019 Corvettes will now feature Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W-40 synthetic motor oil as the new factory-fill.

This new blend is rated for both street and track use, and it eliminates having to change the previous recommended 5W-30 motor oil for street use to Mobil 1’s 15W-50 for track events, and then back again.

I guess Chevy didn't get the word.
wink.gif

Yep

All engines starts are on residual oil film. The pumped oil is for areas that could not be fed by splash or sling oil. Many cams, all cylinders/piston skirts/rings, and most timing chains are all sling oiled off the crank or side leakage from the front bearings. That happens slower than any pumped oil scenario ...

Your engine depends much more on residual oil film for the first minutes of run time, than any positive oiling strategy. So the nature of residual oil film is THE most important anti-wear component in cold start. All else is secondary ...

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Your engine depends much more on residual oil film for the first minutes of run time, than any positive oiling strategy. So the nature of residual oil film is THE most important anti-wear component in cold start. All else is secondary ...

That was the goal of Castrol Magnatec ... it's supposed to clink better to give more cold start protection.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
The XxW- part of a multigrade hardly matters in above freezing temps.

Coincidentally, and as a nasty surprise, it went down to something like -24 C last night. This is why I don't like seasonal oil changes.
wink.gif

LeakySeals: With respect to masking design flaws, it wouldn't be the first time.

Yep

-Positive displacement pumps (like oil pumps) move the same volume regardless of viscosity. Even oils well out of their W rating will force the pump to steal as much power from the engine as needed to force that goop through. How your full flow filter's design, size and bypass pressure deals with the viscosity is another issue.
-0C is much warmer than the W rating qualification temperatures, and are therefore meaningless at 0C
-You've been informed already that the multi-grade oil viscosity change with temperature is not linear so we can't extrapolate a meaningful curve from the 40-100C.
-Flow =/= wear protection
-Your oil system shouldn't be dry, that's a filter/ADBV/design problem
-The engine parts are never dry from oil. There is always a useful tribofilm available on parts, and arguably a thicker/more robust residual film left from lubes made from heavier base oils.

The KV40 values you provided for PP represent a difference of 6.4cSt@40C- noise. There isn't a chance in the ol hockeysticks you'll notice a difference on a dummy light or gauge, even at 0C.

Heads up, Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 5w30 has a KV40 of 63.4cSt- identical to the 10w30 Platinum. It's that non-linear, non-Newtonian thing again.

The KV40 can be a nice clue about the base oil blend used in the product. Since the PP10W30 and PYB5W30 are the same cSt@40C, that suggests that the PYB is blended with lighter base oil and rely more on the VIIs to satisfy SAE30@100C. It also suggests that the PP10W30 is blended with a heavier, but straighter base blend, thus the viscosity ramps at a quicker rate as the temperature approaches it's W rating

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
The XxW- part of a multigrade hardly matters in above freezing temps.

Coincidentally, and as a nasty surprise, it went down to something like -24 C last night. This is why I don't like seasonal oil changes.
wink.gif

LeakySeals: With respect to masking design flaws, it wouldn't be the first time.

Living in the Boreal region and being ultra-safe before installing that SAE60 Solvent-dewaxed Summer fill, you wouldn't dare follow the calendar for that OCI

Remember that most engine oil pumps are darn close to being fixed displacement ... flow is proportional to rpm. Higher viscosity will raise oil pressure but have little effect on flow ... or flow distribution.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Recently there has been concerns regarding premature timing-chair wear, which resulted in people using thicker oils. Many people think that when they use a 0W-40, they are putting in a thick oil because it's "40-grade" when it's at normal operating temperature. It turns out that it's not that simple.

So, 0W-40 is the thinnest oil in terms of the base-oil viscosity!

I'd like to point out that you contradict yourself in the same post.

Your first statement is correct, it isn't that simple. Did you look at the MRV values in the XOM blending table? Have you seen a 0w-40 with an MRV that low?

The XOM blending chart is a simplified piece of material designed to show blend-across ratios to achieve certain viscosity targets. It is in no way meant to be construed as universal or even indicative of XOM's own products.

The Harman Index as discussed earlier I think provides a lot more information here than simply assuming base oils based on this chart, particularly given that the chart is for XOM's range of PAO's, which represent how many current products we buy OTS? Possibly the only one close might be M1 EP 0w-20.

Let's look at a couple of Castrol products as an example:

Castrol 0w-40 and 5w-40.

Now, based on the Gokhan theory of relativity, the 5w-40 will have less VII because it is a narrower spread.

However, we know that GC 0w-40 has significantly more PAO in it than the 5w-40, which has basically none. The 5w-40 has actually proven to be a poor product with greater viscosity loss than the 0w-40 in application, which is blended with better bases.

The Mobil chart is a neat discussion piece when viewed in context. In application, ultimately cost dictates what gets blended and if you can hit your visc target with cheaper bases and more VII, what do you think gets used? That's what the Harman Index was trying to cut through, giving one at least a bit of an idea as to what the actual base oil quality might be rather than wild posit.

You also brought up TGMO:

So, 0W-20 is likely to have a thicker base oil than 0W-40! In fact in my UOA comparison of 0W-20 and 0W-40, I did find out that 0W-20 produced less valvetrain wear (less iron [Fe]) than 0W-40!

First off, you didn't actually measure wear. Secondly, you are using TGMO as your 0w-20 example, which we know is not PAO-based, and subsequently doesn't in any way compare to what's shown in that Mobil chart.

Comically, I think the only engine I recently recall hearing about timing chain issues with was the GM HF 3.6L V6, which I believe spec'd 5w-30
21.gif

While I appreciate what you are trying to do here, I think that coming up with conclusions, let alone guidelines based on the data provided is a real reach. Perhaps Molakule can chime-in with some actual blend data to help make a clearer picture of the process used when developing an oil at a price-point?

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
All 2019 Corvettes will now feature Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W-40 synthetic motor oil as the new factory-fill.

This new blend is rated for both street and track use, and it eliminates having to change the previous recommended 5W-30 motor oil for street use to Mobil 1’s 15W-50 for track events, and then back again.

I guess Chevy didn't get the word.
wink.gif

They don't sell xW-40 PCMO in USA, except the M1 and its German cousin Castrol.

So, they are stuck with 0W-40 if they want a 40-grade oil in USA. I'm sure if 5W-40 PCMO was available here, Corvette would recommend that instead. I know there is Pennzoil 5W-40 but it's sort of a unicorn oil.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Living in the Boreal region and being ultra-safe before installing that SAE60 Solvent-dewaxed Summer fill, you wouldn't dare follow the calendar for that OCI

No, unless I want my rides to be on the back of a tow truck one day with little warning.

You know, I've often wondered about the role of the oil used versus the quality of the parts involved.
Chain driven OHCs existed long before timing belts and some of them were notably durable even on the oils of decades back.
The old iron V-8 Benz of the seventies never had timing chain problems nor much wear of any kind, just as an example.
This might also be taken as a back-handed endorsement of timing belts.
Yeah, they need to be replaced, but typically only one in the life of any car and replacement is cheap, anything from $200 to $800, so much cheaper than replacing the timing chain(s) on any OHC engine.
It's also always easier for a manufacturer to blame the oil viscosity or quality rather than their own lack of design or manufacturing quality.

-Positive displacement pumps (like oil pumps) move the same volume regardless of viscosity. Even oils well out of their W rating will force the pump to steal as much power from the engine as needed to force that goop through.

Originally Posted By: George Bynum
Remember that most engine oil pumps are darn close to being fixed displacement ... flow is proportional to rpm. Higher viscosity will raise oil pressure but have little effect on flow ... or flow distribution.

Except in the situations where the oil is so thick at cold start-up that the positive displacement oil pump goes into pressure relief. In a drastic example, if the oil was so thick that it cause the oil pump to hit pressure relief, and most of the oil volume was being shunted back to the sump or pump inlet, then that wouldn't leave much oil volume going to the engine's oiling system. In a situation like that, the engine is essentially getting starved of oil flow.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
-Positive displacement pumps (like oil pumps) move the same volume regardless of viscosity. Even oils well out of their W rating will force the pump to steal as much power from the engine as needed to force that goop through.

Except in the situations where the oil is so thick at cold start-up that the positive displacement oil pump goes into pressure relief. In a drastic example, if the oil was so thick that it cause the oil pump to hit pressure relief, and most of the oil volume was being shunted back to the sump or pump inlet, then that wouldn't leave much oil volume going to the engine's oiling system. In a situation like that, the engine is essentially getting starved of oil flow.

Move the "-35" up 5 degrees C for every "W" grade increase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back