Do you ever buy non top tier gas when top tier is available?

The other day I was at Sam’s Club and the tanks were being filled by a Abenaqui Carriers truck. Today I filled up and it was $1.82. It must be the freshest gasoline in the area the place is always packed.

Top Tier gas is disappearing . Nearest is 15 miles away .
I agree. It seems like new “mega” gas stations are popping up everywhere and none of them are top tier. Also all the Circle K’s around here have dropped BP and have gone to self-branded gas, perhaps in response to the lower priced competition.

I agree. It seems like new “mega” gas stations are popping up everywhere and none of them are top tier. Also all the Circle K’s around here have dropped BP and have gone to self-branded gas, perhaps in response to the lower priced competition.

It's the opposite around here. I haven't seen that many Circle Ks, but those I've seen with gas stations, it's usually a brand name like 76. 7-Eleven stations are generally self-branded, so they're likely to be generic.

All the major brands that are associated with oil refiners (even if it's just an old association like Valero) are Top Tier. Otherwise it's typically some sort of independent. A lot of times it's really weird with an independent that just kept all the old signs and color scheme from the brand name, but replaced just the brand name. I even saw once that was a Chevron, went independent, and then went back to Chevron.

My owners manual says to use TT or use an additive once every 3k miles. I buy gas at BJs exclusively unless I am on a trip, my BJs is $.25 to $.30 less than the surrounding stations. That's $6-7 savings each time I fill my 26 gallon tank. I can but A LOT of Gumout with that savings.

I probably use TT gas about 85% of the time. I will buy non-TT gas even when TT gas is available under the following circumstances:

1) l am in an unfamiliar area and the TT station looks run down/and or does low volume. For example, l was once in NY in the Hudson Valley and needed gas. The top tier station had old pumps that didn't look well maintained. There weren't any other cars at the pumps.
There was a Quick Chek convenience store nearby that was sparkling new with nice modern gas pumps with multiple cars filling up. I opted for the Quick Check because l thought the chances of getting stale gas or water in the gas were much lower than the TT alternative.

2) If the price differential between the TT and Wawa or Quick Check is too great. I won't pay more than a 2 cent premium for TT gas.

My travels take me past a Costco on a daily basis and that is my first choice as it is usually the cheapest and being TT.
I prefer TT fuel, but l don't think using non-TT fuel on occasion is going to have any impact which is why l don't stress out too much if l fill up at a high volume well maintained non-TT station.
Many stations that advertise top tier fuel on their pumps I often see unnamed trailers delivering fuel to the station.. so can we really say we’re getting what we’re paying for and or advertised?

Many stations that advertise top tier fuel on their pumps I often see unnamed trailers delivering fuel to the station.. so can we really say we’re getting what we’re paying for and or advertised?
Yes. A lot of fuel tankers (like what I drive) are considered common carriers. We haul different brands depending on the customer. If the store has a specific brand advertised on the canopy, fuel pumps or marquee sign...that's what you're getting. If NO signage (independent owned station)...then you are likely getting "soup of the day".

I buy gas at the lower cost stations even non top tier gas has required additives..
My viewpoint too. The non-Exxon 87 E0 available at a lower price than the 87 E10 at the Brothers convenience store 2 miles from me is a powerful inducement; and the Buick runs perfectly on it.

Not likely . Just put unknown winter blend non Top Tier 90 w/o E along with 10 ounce bottle of CHEVRON Techron C.F.S.C. in car . Low fuel light on . Nearest Top Tier is about 20 miles away .

No. There isn’t any appreciable price difference buying non top tier gas where I live

Now, if there was cheaper non top tier gas, I would buy it but I would compensate by adding some Redline fuel system cleaner every tank ( 3 ozs ).

Top Tier fuel works, it’s not just marketing.

Now, would I line up and wast my time even if gas was cheap at some gas station, not in a million years.

The only top tier gas is Esso, Mobil ( rare, only seen one station ) and shell where I live. I think Costco is Top tier but I don’t even have the patience to shop inside due to overcrowding and line ups So I won’t be lining up for gas outside.

Don’t think so … Exxon and Shell are the best prices here … Exxon place is testing a brand new car wash that discounts the gas …

Couldn't tell you what is top tier gas or not. I 95% of the time fill up at a Petro Canada, or Chevron station, but occasionally somewhere else. Couldn't detect any car, pickup, or motorcycles yet that ran any differently, no matter what station I used.

Yes. A lot of fuel tankers (like what I drive) are considered common carriers. We haul different brands depending on the customer. If the store has a specific brand advertised on the canopy, fuel pumps or marquee sign...that's what you're getting. If NO signage (independent owned station)...then you are likely getting "soup of the day".

My uncle owns 18 fuel trucks, they haul from the same refinery, off the same rack, same spigot, to 14 different branded stations. So in this area, gas is gas, all comes from the exact same source. Same with the diesel, and Jet A1, so you must have a very cool refinery that makes many special fuels. How huge is the tank farm? How many loading racks? I've gone with my uncles and cousins many times in the fuel trucks, just doing road trips with them. In my 50 plus times to the refinery, several times I asked employees there if they make specific gas, diesel, or Jet A1 for any particular place. The answer is no, but a few may pour some additive into a truck occasionally.

My uncle owns 18 fuel trucks, they haul from the same refinery, off the same rack, same spigot, to 14 different branded stations. So in this area, gas is gas, all comes from the exact same source. Same with the diesel, and Jet A1, so you must have a very cool refinery that makes many special fuels. How huge is the tank farm? How many loading racks? I've gone with my uncles and cousins many times in the fuel trucks, just doing road trips with them. In my 50 plus times to the refinery, several times I asked employees there if they make specific gas, diesel, or Jet A1 for any particular place. The answer is no, but a few may pour some additive into a truck occasionally.

Unlikely that it's always the same fuel. Refineries go down or have shortages for any number of reasons and they receive fungible commodity fuels as distributed by pipeline companies. At any particular fuel terminal there's a good chance that the fuel is mixed from multiple sources of fungible commodity fuel meeting the pipeline operators' requirements. We've been having a pretty thorough discussion of this in the previous 5 pages, but there's a long time poster with the username "TiredTrucker" who has been through this.

We've already discussed "branding". The "branding" is legally the additive specified by the fuel marketer. It could theoretically be the same additive that another fuel marketer uses. Most additives are made by one of the big chemical companies like Chevron Oronite, Lubrizol, Afton, or BASF. Heck - Chevron's Oronite division sells additives to Chevron's fuel marketing competitors. I don't know what you get in the north, but every bulk gasoline additive used in the United States is required to be certified by the Environmental Protection Agency.

And yeah we've discussed all these things you mentioned.

It's obviously not like that everywhere. I load, haul, and deliver Shell gas fairly regularly. Our local terminal has several additive tanks with their brand contents labeled on them. Shell has one....as well as BP, ExxonMobil, Marathon, ConocoPhillips, etc. When I pull for a Shell branded store...Motiva is the supplier account I select in the system. The additive is mixed as it's loaded here.

Around here it's mostly Kinder Morgan. There are bunch of fuel terminals, but one centralized location is in Richmond, California with about 4. It's kind of an ideal location near a tanker dock, the Chevron Richmond refinery, rail, etc. I think it's Chevron, Phillips 66, Kinder Morgan, and TransMontaigne (bought from Plains All-American). I think Chevron mostly supplies its own terminal, but who knows what happens when there's a shortage or it goes down for maintenance. There's a test siren that goes off ever Wednesday at 11 AM and it carries for miles.

This is kind of an old map where some of the names have changed (Shell sold its Martinez refinery which is now PBF and Plains All American sold its Richmond terminal to TransMontaigne). Also Tesoro was purchased by Marathon and is changing that to a renewable fuels facility. I don't really bring this up other than that fuel is really just a fungible commodity that's moved and traded. When Kinder Morgan takes a delivery in Southern California of fungible commodity fuel, its supposed to deliver the equivalent amount of fuel to various fuel terminals. But it doesn't actually have to move it as long as it has enough comparable fuel where the customer loads the fuel.

CA-refinery_locations.png

Call the Husky refinery in Prince George, and Chevron refinery in Burnaby, the two I've been to dozens and dozens of times, and my uncle, and cousins thousands of times. Then get back to us with the results of your calls, I look forward to it. Same gas, same diesel to all stations, and only Chevron makes Jet A1, not the Husky, but ask about it as well. Really looking forward to your report. 🙂

Call the Husky refinery in Prince George, and Chevron refinery in Burnaby, the two I've been to dozens and dozens of times, and my uncle, and cousins thousands of times. Then get back to us with the results of your calls, I look forward to it. Same gas, same diesel to all stations, and only Chevron makes Jet A1, not the Husky, but ask about it as well. Really looking forward to your report. 🙂
There’s really no reason for your attitude about it.

Back