dino vs. syn gear oil? I know.....I know

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I know its a big debate with the new "study" on dino and how its "better" than syn in hypoid diffs but I dont really want to get in to that. Lets not beat the dead horse too much! Just straight forward if thats true or not, if I'm going to be changing my diff oil often anyways is it worth the extra expence to buy the synthetic? even if the study is totaly untrue and syn is far better than dino is it really going to make a big difference. My application is a 09 wrangler jk that will see mixed off/on road service and will be changed freq. partly because I'm crazy and partly because I will be crossing deep water everynow and again and I dont want it to become contaminated with water. I also will be towing a very light teardrop trailer every now and again.

What it boils down to for me is will syn really make my diffs last longer than dino?

What I would also like to say is weather it was in my head or not I changed the diff oil in my 07 ram 1500 that came from the factory with syn to amsoil sg 75w140 in the rear and 75w80 in the front and I fully believe it made it much smoother. My dad and sister eventually drove the truck and they also said that it definatly felt smoother? Also seemed to turn better. btw I dident even tell them that I changed anything and I also dident ask them if it felt different, they told me independantly. It may have been the oil or it may have been the diffs breaking in and changing out the dirty gritty oil. I'll never really know I guess.

That is quite the debate. The only time I have noticed any difference was in extreme cold driving conditions when the synthetic was more fluid, if that's a good term. And I suppose under extreme racing conditions where extremely high temps were encountered, the synthetic might make a difference. I personally think for normal conditions the additive package in the gear oils is as important if not more that what the base stock is.

i would use the synthetic. i have found differences in using syn and dino, not a huge amount but there is a diff, my bro and i just changed his 00 ram 1500 gear oil, at 121000, used mobil 1 gear oil, he says its great, he feels a smoother ride, also he said that he picked up about a mile per gallon, when he changes the motor oil he picks up a little more, all mobil 1 products. i dont know if this helps, but when your gonna be off roading i have always used synthetics. also in almost every over the road truck i change diff oils in we use syn, especially in log trucks

Originally Posted By: Petrou
i would use the synthetic. i have found differences in using syn and dino, not a huge amount but there is a diff, my bro and i just changed his 00 ram 1500 gear oil, at 121000, used mobil 1 gear oil, he says its great, he feels a smoother ride, also he said that he picked up about a mile per gallon, when he changes the motor oil he picks up a little more, all mobil 1 products. i dont know if this helps, but when your gonna be off roading i have always used synthetics. also in almost every over the road truck i change diff oils in we use syn, especially in log trucks

not saying you're wrong, but it may be worth considering that the simple change to new fluid did the trick and made it smother in your case and the OPs, and not necessarily the type of fluid

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: ryland
So I know its a big debate with the new "study" on dino and how its "better" than syn in hypoid diffs.....

Where is this "study"?

Dont remember where I seen it?? I think it was a link on here to a jeep site. If I remember right currie enterprises did it. Something about dino transfering heat away from gear surfaces and transmitting to the rest of the diff oil. which makes the diff run hotter but with even heat. The syn let the gear surfaces overheat because it dident diffuse the heat to the rest of the oil. Currie now dosent warrentee their diffs if you use synthetic, I guess you have to use dino.

btw pablo I'm not agreeing or dissagreeing with what they say. Just have herd about it. like I said I thought I could tell a difference when I used amsoil and believe amsoil to make the best oil on the market. thats why my question was more geared towrds my application.

Whats your oppinion for my application pablo? btw I think you live real close to me, I live in portland!!

Originally Posted By: Pablo
So I know its a big debate with the new "study" on dino and how its "better" than syn in hypoid diffs.....

Where is this "study"?

You will be waiting just a few short weeks on that report LOL!
01.gif

It is simple if you are going to change out the oil often which is good for your operation as you posted dino oil is the way to go .If you are going for the long change intervals which isn't the best idea for your use as you already posted syn would be better.

You can go dino or synth in an engine without much difference except for longer/shorter oil change intervals.

For a differential or transmission , there is much more shearing and high pressure points, and a synthetic lube is better.

the Durablend 80W-90 is a blend and i like the description:

"recommended for conventional rear axles, limited slip rear axles and transmissions requiring EP gear lubes under high speed, high load, high torque, high horsepower conditions."

the bottle adds it's good for hypoid diffs, product info sheet shows no additive info tho

Because of your Jeep's swimming habits, and that you plan on changing frequently, save your money and buy a mineral oil.

The cost of synthetic with short intervals is excessive.

What do you consider "frequent changes"?

Water emulsion=bad.

What I would also like to say is weather it was in my head or not I changed the diff oil in my 07 ram 1500 that came from the factory with syn to amsoil sg 75w140 in the rear and 75w80 in the front and I fully believe it made it much smoother. My dad and sister eventually drove the truck and they also said that it definatly felt smoother? Also seemed to turn better. btw I dident even tell them that I changed anything and I also dident ask them if it felt different, they told me independantly. It may have been the oil or it may have been the diffs breaking in and changing out the dirty gritty oil. I'll never really know I guess.

07 Ram 1500 came factory with synthetic at least in the rear( think front is too in that year but not sure ). 75W-140 rear and 75W-90 front( 75W-80? ). However, MOPAR fluid is mediocre and going with a premium gear oil could make a difference. I noticed a difference in my Rams and Silverados swapping from factory dino and synthetics to RP MaxGear.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

07 Ram 1500 came factory with synthetic at least in the rear( think front is too in that year but not sure ). 75W-140 rear and 75W-90 front( 75W-80? ). However, MOPAR fluid is mediocre and going with a premium gear oil could make a difference. I noticed a difference in my Rams and Silverados swapping from factory dino and synthetics to RP MaxGear.

I notice many Dodge vans and trucks driving around with noisy differentials.
I have a friend that was a tech at a local Dodge dealer, 8 years and he mentioned that Chysler had many problems with pinion bearings burning up, on trucks/vans he said he did one every 2 weeks for years!

FWIW: I just changed out my 08 Toyota 4Runner diffs & t-case to synthetic. I used Amsoil 80w90 in the rear and Mobil1-75w90LS in the front & Tcase. Mileage 4300. Definitely quieter & smoother especially in 4wd with the locker on. Reduced the diff hum on the highway about 50% so now you have to try to listen for the ddrivetrain when on smooth pavement.

If you are getting the diff wet often you might want to raise up the diff vent hose. That would be the best way to control water intrusion.

Might want to try getting your Wrangler wet and make sure you get no water in it. That would be my priority for making a decision.
I would run a syn if I could.........

It is pretty much a given that synthetics are better when over the road truck diff manufacturers double the warranty when switching to syn gear lube from dino.

Originally Posted By: PT1
FWIW: I just changed out my 08 Toyota 4Runner diffs & t-case to synthetic. I used Amsoil 80w90 in the rear and Mobil1-75w90LS in the front & Tcase. Mileage 4300. Definitely quieter & smoother especially in 4wd with the locker on. Reduced the diff hum on the highway about 50% so now you have to try to listen for the ddrivetrain when on smooth pavement.

This is good to hear!!!

I just swapped out the FF on all 3 diffs in our 07 4runner at 22k miles using Amsoil SG 75w90. I've noticed a difference as well, and i haven't put it in 4wd since i did it.

How did the fluid look coming out with only 4300 miles?

The front and rear on ours definately needed it at 22k. The center diff came out practically new looking.

Originally Posted By: 3Toyotas

This is good to hear!!!

I just swapped out the FF on all 3 diffs in our 07 4runner at 22k miles using Amsoil SG 75w90. I've noticed a difference as well, and i haven't put it in 4wd since i did it.

The front and rear on ours definately needed it at 22k. The center diff came out practically new looking.

The fluid needed to be changed at 22K, or you wanted to?
grin2.gif
Not saying it's a bad thing, I would do the same.

Anyways, that Amsoil SG should be good for a long time, at least 50K miles, probably more.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: panthermike

This is good to hear!!!

grin2.gif

Anyways, that Amsoil SG should be good for a long time, at least 50K miles, probably more.

More that i wanted to than anything. But i heard it's a good idea to change it early.
At 22k miles, i'm just glad i did it on the 4runner.
Did my tundra at 15k (mostly towing), and i'm glad i did that too.

Hopefully it'll last a while that's for sure.

Originally Posted By: panthermike

This is good to hear!!!

grin2.gif

all Amsoil gear lubes have a lifetime fill in passenger car applications
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back