dino vs. syn gear oil? I know.....I know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 3Toyotas
I beleive Amsoil says it's a 50k/100k severe/normal service.

Yes but this is Lazaro we're talking about here.

25K oil change on a brand new engine ring a bell?
crackmeup2.gif

But seriously, Amsoil SG rules.

Of the three listed synthetic gear lubes, is one of them better than the others.
RP
M1
Valvoline

i have been using M1 but thought about using valvoline next time.

a lot of the jeep guys I talk to all use royal purple 75w90. I have always thought that rp was just some gimmic snake oil. not for any reason or based on any experiance. probably because most the people I see use it either dont know how to put a hat on properly (or take the tags from the store off it) or just seem to watch to much horse power tv. Its purple oil? I mean why???? but maybe I've been wrong I dont know. I have also seen on the amsoil site that rp dident test as well as many dino oils. So is rp any good? or am I correct in all my assumtions?

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Because of your Jeep's swimming habits, and that you plan on changing frequently, save your money and buy a mineral oil.

The cost of synthetic with short intervals is excessive.

What do you consider "frequent changes"?

Water emulsion=bad.

Frequent to me because I'm crazy for my last truck was about every 10k-12k. Thats when I had to take the cover off my diff and reapply the rtv. Now with the new jeep it can be as often as my crazy mind thinks about it because of the drain plugs! But when I go through deep water I always check my diffs when I get home.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
If you are getting the diff wet often you might want to raise up the diff vent hose. That would be the best way to control water intrusion.

Might want to try getting your Wrangler wet and make sure you get no water in it. That would be my priority for making a decision.
I would run a syn if I could.........

It is pretty much a given that synthetics are better when over the road truck diff manufacturers double the warranty when switching to syn gear lube from dino.

Raisng the diff vent hose sounds like a great idea! I've never herd of anyone doing that! Thanks for the tip I'll think about that.

Originally Posted By: PT1
FWIW: I just changed out my 08 Toyota 4Runner diffs & t-case to synthetic. I used Amsoil 80w90 in the rear and Mobil1-75w90LS in the front & Tcase. Mileage 4300. Definitely quieter & smoother especially in 4wd with the locker on. Reduced the diff hum on the highway about 50% so now you have to try to listen for the ddrivetrain when on smooth pavement.

This is good to hear!!!

I just swapped out the FF on all 3 diffs in our 07 4runner at 22k miles using Amsoil SG 75w90. I've noticed a difference as well, and i haven't put it in 4wd since i did it.

How did the fluid look coming out with only 4300 miles?

The front and rear on ours definately needed it at 22k. The center diff came out practically new looking.

The FF on the diffs was dark grey with just a small amount of paste on the magnets NO METAL PIECES
banana2.gif
The tcase was definitely dino and was dark gold/brown probably from some clutch material. But now all is quiet and will be sleeping until the 100k mark. Since I only use 4wd about 1 months a year my Toyo mechanic said change the rear diff at 100k and forget the front & tcase until 200k or never.
shocked2.gif

I'll change it all at 100k.

BTW, Toyota recommends running the 4wd system for 5-10 miles a month to lubricate the front diff & tcase.

Last edited:
I beleive Amsoil says it's a 50k/100k severe/normal service.

Correct. That matches the T4R owners manual

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back