Did You Do A "Break-In" Oil Change On Your Riding Lawn Mower/Zero-Turn?

With about 20 hours on my new 2022 Gravely ZT-XL (42", 21.5 HP Kawasaki FR651V 726cc air-cooled v-twin, Hydro-Gear ZT-2800 transaxles) that I bought in September when we moved into our new-to-us house on 1.1 acres, I'm considering going ahead and changing the oil and filter soon.

I've decided to use Mobil 1 15W-50, since the oil temps on these air-cooled engines can get pretty high (around 260*F from what someone posted here), and the Kawasaki engines have been known to use a bit of oil, and also because the hydrostatic transaxles' factory fill is, from what I understand, M1 15W-50, and it'll simplify things just to use one oil for both.

The engine did use a few ounces of oil in the first few hours of use, and I topped off with M1 15W-50. However, since that first few hours, it's used very little (not enough to need topping off).

Anyway, with mowing season now in full swing, I'm mowing every week, and daytime highs will soon regularly be over 90*F. So I'm leaning towards going ahead and draining the FF in the next few weeks and filling with the M1 15W-50, despite the fact that the Kawi engine manual doesn't specify an oil change until 100 hours, and a filter change is not required until 200 hrs.

I haven't made a decision on which oil filter to use and I'm open to suggestions if there's something better than the OEM Kawi 49065-0721.

So, what did you guys do?
IMG_2052.jpeg
IMG_0779.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a Gravely ProTurn 52 (Kaw FS691)

I did first change at 5 hours, 2nd change at 10 hours, 3rd change at 20 hours. Then at 100, 200, 300.

First two changes were conventional 30 iirc. Then at 20 hours I went with Amsoil Small Engine 10w30/30 and have been using it since. Currently at 340 hours with no oil consumption. I do 100 hours in about a season and a half. The Amsoil used to have the dual rating of 10w30/30 but it now just says 10w30 but it doesn't look like the specs changes much if at all.

I would think that 15w50 would do just fine in it.

I typically use the PH3614 size filter because it fits. Cross that into your favorite brand. No real need to use Kawasaki brand. I've used Fram Ultra, Motorcraft, Purolator red, etc. There is a shorter filter that would work if necessary, it's a 3/4"-16" thread.

I have the 3200 transaxles and they're pretty straight forward. Recommendation is first change at 75 hours. then every 400 hours after that. Just make sure you follow the bleeding procedure. I developed a weird leak over the winter that I think is coming from the filter, but I've been lazy and haven't dug into it but its a trivial amount of loss. I topped it off for the first mow and it hasn't shown any discernable loss since. I definitely need to check into it soon.

I go five hours on the factory fill, drain it and then start normal change intervals as specified in the manual.

Very nice mower. I would certainly go ahead with the oil and filter change at 20 hours and in my opinion, every 50 hours thereafter. I disagree with using the weight of oil you are suggesting, and think you would be well advised to stay with the factory specification of 10W 40, and of course would suggest a high quality full synthetic like M1, but totally okay with saving $7 on a five quart container by going with Quaker State, Pennzoil down at Walmart.

My thinking is based on years of experience with lawn equipment. If you are a homeowner, you can use this piece of equipment for 20, 30, 40 years. Unlike most automobiles, it can last forever. It's also no secret that many want to see internal combustion mowers banned. I would maintain it in that way. On the oil choice, I think that the equipment will run best on factory recommendation. The ambient temperature is not an issue, and with a slightly aggressive OCI, you'll be fine.

Good luck and nice mower!

Very nice mower. I would certainly go ahead with the oil and filter change at 20 hours and in my opinion, every 50 hours thereafter. I disagree with using the weight of oil you are suggesting, and think you would be well advised to stay with the factory specification of 10W 40, and of course would suggest a high quality full synthetic like M1, but totally okay with saving $7 on a five quart container by going with Quaker State, Pennzoil down at Walmart.

My thinking is based on years of experience with lawn equipment. If you are a homeowner, you can use this piece of equipment for 20, 30, 40 years. Unlike most automobiles, it can last forever. It's also no secret that many want to see internal combustion mowers banned. I would maintain it in that way. On the oil choice, I think that the equipment will run best on factory recommendation. The ambient temperature is not an issue, and with a slightly aggressive OCI, you'll be fine.

Good luck and nice mower!

1685454072086.jpg

This is direct out of the manual.

I have a Gravely ProTurn 52 (Kaw FS691)

I did first change at 5 hours, 2nd change at 10 hours, 3rd change at 20 hours. Then at 100, 200, 300.

First two changes were conventional 30 iirc. Then at 20 hours I went with Amsoil Small Engine 10w30/30 and have been using it since. Currently at 340 hours with no oil consumption. I do 100 hours in about a season and a half. The Amsoil used to have the dual rating of 10w30/30 but it now just says 10w30 but it doesn't look like the specs changes much if at all.

I would think that 15w50 would do just fine in it.

I typically use the PH3614 size filter because it fits. Cross that into your favorite brand. No real need to use Kawasaki brand. I've used Fram Ultra, Motorcraft, Purolator red, etc. There is a shorter filter that would work if necessary, it's a 3/4"-16" thread.

I have the 3200 transaxles and they're pretty straight forward. Recommendation is first change at 75 hours. then every 400 hours after that. Just make sure you follow the bleeding procedure. I developed a weird leak over the winter that I think is coming from the filter, but I've been lazy and haven't dug into it but its a trivial amount of loss. I topped it off for the first mow and it hasn't shown any discernable loss since. I definitely need to check into it soon.
Wow, that's hard core, 5, 10, and 20 hours.

Not as concerned about the transaxles, since (apparently) they already have M1 15W-50 in them from the factory.

Will definitely service them at or before the recommended initial 75 hr timeframe.

Although I've read where some people claimed improved performance from the hydros after servicing them for the first time.

Ist change at 5 hours, then at then change at end of the 1st season. I use 15w-40 HDEO for most OPE and change once a year about 35-40 hours mowing time.

As far as filters whatever I have available. For the hydro's, 1st change at 50hrs and every 100 hrs thereafter. Every 3 years.

I typically do the first engine oil/filter change at 20-25 hours. 75-100 hours for the hydros. The 15w50 should work great, and for filters I usually use the Fram TG4967 or SuperTech MP4967, Fram XG4967 if you want to get fancy. I've cut open plenty of the Kawasaki OEM filters and they are comparable to the ones I listed but more expensive. I am currently running a Supertech MP4967 on the Kawasaki 14hp on my Exmark.

Wow, that's hard core, 5, 10, and 20 hours.

Not as concerned about the transaxles, since (apparently) they already have M1 15W-50 in them from the factory.

Will definitely service them at or before the recommended initial 75 hr timeframe.

Although I've read where some people claimed improved performance from the hydros after servicing them for the first time.
It was certainly excessive. One of those, I'm going to keep this thing for 20 years, so it's worth the effort.

I can't recall a performance improvement in the hydros. Push forward, go forward, pull back, go back lol

I used the Gravely bottle for the first change, probably using a M1 5qt jug for the next change. The 3200s take a little more than 2 qts each after you get the expansion tanks filled, iirc.

Quote from Manual
The fluids used in Hydro-Gear products have been carefully selected, and only equivalent, or better products should be substituted. Typically, an engine oil with a minimum rating of 9.0cSt (55 SUS) at 230° F (110° C) and an API classification of SL is recommended. A 20W50 engine oil has been selected for use by the factory and is recommended for normal operating procedures.
The Gravely bottle is definitely 15w50 though.

I do an early oil change on everything with oil. Way too soon the little guy will be driving the mower. Enjoy .

I have the ZT HD with Kawasaki FR691V. I was advised by dealer to change oil around 10-15Hrs, and did so with Kawasaki 20W-50.
They did not say to change oil filter, but I did that as well, Whatever the OEM part is.
But admittedly I don't think the Kawasaki Manual even suggest to do this like you point out.

The hydrogear they said to follow manual.

I did the Kohler and Exmark 5hr. change but wouldn't do that again.
Oil was very clean. Maybe 20-25 hours and a new top tier filter
Remember the dirty oil goes through the oil pump before going through the filter.

Back