What zero turn and engine?

Ran it the first time yesterday. It is dry here so dust was everywhere. A definite improvement in air flow over the Simplicity Regent or former low end (two blade) 42" Toro ZT (which now sells for MSRP $3500, which to me seems crazy for that quality machine). Feels very sturdy and the bagger didn't clog at all (though it was dry and I cut high). I do have a concern that if it does clog it will be tough to get loose because of the design of the tube (one piece).

The seat is comfortable and the handles feel sturdy and heavy duty (not covered with cheap neoprene like most low end models).

Only a couple concerns: It is a bit difficult to start. Though it might be because I was putting on full choke, and it seemed to start better if I only did half choke. I'm just used to having to do full choke on just about everything small engines to start even if the ambient temperature is warm.

The other concerns is the bagger size. It got caught on the fence several times when turning. Not an issue with the Simplicity because of the turning radius of a tractor. Just the nature of it, I guess. Will have to be really careful in maneuvering around the fence lines.

Mine has the pin style deck height, not the dial. The XL also has where if you press the deck height pedal all the way it locks in the top position (I think it is a $50 option on the X). I like this style vs the dial for sure. I also like the new deck design in the 2023, and that if you want the turbo later it can be added without buying a whole new bagger system. All the updates (which you mentioned) are definitely nice and why I opted for a 2023 vs a little better deal on the 2022. The only thing that doesn't seem to matter really is the rubber stoppers under the seat.
I've noticed that mine doesn't start like other engines I've had either. Little bit of a trick to it when it's cold.

I give it full choke as I'm hitting the starter, then turn off the choke and it fires. Doesn't need any choke to idle while warming up.

I've noticed that mine doesn't start like other engines I've had either. Little bit of a trick to it when it's cold.

I give it full choke as I'm hitting the starter, then turn off the choke and it fires. Doesn't need any choke to idle while warming up.
Yeah, that's typical of the Kawasaki engines. They need full choke to start, but only want it for the first revolution or two. My JD X320 has a spring loaded choke lever. I hold full choke, hit the key and release the choke as soon as the engine turns. It usually starts instantly.

Also as noted, they don't need any choke during warmup unless the temperatures are in the 50's. They might stumble a bit for a few seconds at those temperatures. A bit of choke(1/4-1/2) for 10-15 seconds will have them purring smoothly on those cooler days.

Ed

I just got JD Z320M with the 42" deck that they brag about as far as cutting. It crates quite a strong vacuum even when raised the full 4.5". I hadn't mowed for a month and the grass had all gone to seed. It walked though that like it was nothing. I was quite impressed. Put a mulcher kit on it yesterday.

Back