What zero turn and engine?

I have a 2016ish Simplicity Regent 42" with fabricated deck. 253 hours currently, I have had it for almost two years and bought it used with about 220 hours. It replaced a 42" Toro zero turn that I liked but the cut was awful (clumps everywhere). I was short sighted and should have just bought the bagger for the machine I already had.

Anyway, the Simplicity bagger gets clogged constantly and if the grass is even slightly wet I need to unclog it every ten minutes. Takes over an hour to do what the zero turn used to do in 15 minutes. I bought the Simplicity for $1200 and could probably sell it for $1700 to $2000 and have only put about $250 into it (battery, blades, plugs, oil change, and a new part of the bagger chute). I have a 10% off Lowes coupon good for another week, so I might be interested in going to a zero turn again. My lawn needs a bagger or else it grows way too fast.

Two options, both are 42" cut:

John Deere: https://www.lowes.com/pd/John-Deere-Z315E-ZTrak-42-in-20-HP-V-twin-Zero-turn-Lawn-Mower/5013960257

Craftsman: https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-Craftsman-42-in-with-Kohler-ZTR/5000207467

20 HP engines. I think the Deere is a Briggs Intek (though it is labeled a Deere branded engine). The Craftsman is Kohler 7000 series (which is what my old Toro was).

Craftsman is best price, $100 cheaper than the Deere. It also is $529 for the bagger vs $850 for the Deere.

Craftsman is 48" wide, Deere 50". I prefer narrower because it fits into my shed easier.

Deere can be serviced at any JD dealer. I'm unsure where I would get service for the Craftsman (a Cub Cadet/MTD dealer?).

The Craftsman bagger looks MUCH easier to install, does not require special lift blades like the Deere (though the Deere may bag without clogs better because of this), and doesn't require weights on the front (which takes up more space in the shed since I can't pull the mower in as far). Though the Deere is 9" shorter in length than the Craftsman to begin with so this might not be a big deal. Craftsman bagger isn't rated great, though. But the Craftsman comes with a rubber vibration pad which is nice (it was $50 extra on my Toro).

Craftsman has a hitch if I'd want to pull my cart around the yard, but I didn't use this on the Toro and I can just pull the cart by hand if needed.

Thoughts on the machines in general and specifically the engines?

For that money (plus sales tax you'd pay) you'll be far better off searching for a good used mower of better build quality.
Facebook Marketplace is a great place to look. Search for Scag, Ferris, Exmark, Grasshopper, etc ...

For that money (plus sales tax you'd pay) you'll be far better off searching for a good used mower of better build quality.
Facebook Marketplace is a great place to look. Search for Scag, Ferris, Exmark, Grasshopper, etc ...

For what is available and the pricing I would buy new. I know these are low end. But I only need that. I just want something that cuts well and bags well and doesn't take me an hour to mow my less than half acre lot and fits in my shed. I also want 42" and no bigger. I did see a Spartan branded one which looks really nice new 2022 model for $4k, which is a good deal, but more than I want to spend.

Neither. If you must buy at Lowe’s, look at the Ariens Edge 42. I’m not a fan of buying from a big box store.
I honestly don’t bag, mulch, or use Gator blades. I don’t like dealing with the mess they make.
You haven’t told us about your grass type. You haven’t told us about your acreage.

Last edited:
i would check out airens 42 inch zero turn,much better machine over many other brands ,,look for a independent dealer than box store stuff
This ☝️right here. Buy from a servicing dealer. If you have warranty issues, you will have to take it to Lowe’s authorized service center. And, you will not get the attention as someone who bought a mower from their shop.

I looked at Ariens and the bagger alone is $1100. I won't pay that.

However, I did become aware Snapper has a $350 rebate right now on their entry level zero turns, and the Simplicity Courier is $500 off (rebate). There are several local dealers for them near me that I can price compare. One about 70 miles away looks like they are $200 off plus the rebate. I think $3300 for this machine (42", MSRP is $3999) is a good price.

I do worry about the bagger, it looks like it has the same type bagger I have now. It has an upgraded Briggs engine compared to the Intek, suspension, welded frame, ventilated seat, etc. I am also not a huge fan of the floating deck and lawn striping. But for the price, I might be OK with it. Though would probably prefer Snapper.

Last edited:
I'm not sure the cut quality on either of those are going to be any better than what you already have. I have a 2014 John Deer z255 48in and the cut quality is pitiful IMO. I have to run over dandelions multiple times to get them cut unless I slow to a crawl when I go over them. Same results with multiple sets of blades including gator's. I will say if you have a spotless yard with 0 weeds this thing will cut some centipede smooth. It just cannot handle weeds for some reason. Point its it has the exact same deck they hung under their 48in lawn tractors. They've changed deck design since mine so maybe they are better now.

Generally speaking Snapper makes good stuff, but I don't know anything about their newer mowers.

I can't personally speak for any of the newer mowers and bagging. I grew up bagging 2.5 acres with a 42in murray and I will never bag grass again. I mulch it all and if there are clumps I run over it again. I can run over my yard 2x faster than dealing with bagging...

Brother in law has a 42in toro zero turn with a bagger he likes.

shop + search as MANY brands are the same except price + color!! bought the CC30H recently, a good choice for medium lawns with minimal humps + hills. the bag system was $500 for a Cub branded setup BUT $350 for the Craftsman brand samo craftsman, cub cadet, + troy built all samo but the Hydro drive which i love on the CC. price gouging being rampant shop around!!

If you go to dealer and finance you can get a better mower for less a month. I was going Lowes or Home Depot but went to dealer and compared finance. Big box stores hit you up with higher finance charges. Got a better mower at dealer for 100 a month compared to big box and will be paid off quicker. Just a thought.

You say you need to bag, or your lawn grows way too fast? What does that mean?
If you are cutting too much off with each mow, and it's wet, any deck will leave clumps.

Also make sure your deck is level left to right and the deck is about 1/8 lower in the front.
If the deck is more than 1/4 inch lower front to rear, the cut suffers.

You should cut no more than a 1/4 inch off the height. Better to cut more often with less length removed.
I cut my lawn about twice a week during april and may. No bagger. I'm cutting over an acre.

The Deere would be my pick, but only because of serviceability and ease of finding parts. Both are low end machines, the Craftsman being an MTD. I know you said you don't want to spend that much, and only need a low end machine, but sometimes that can end up being a case of penny-wise but pound foolish. Trust me, I see these mowers all the time right after they get out of the warranty period. You'll save yourself money in the long run buying a better piece of equipment, and it will cut better.

Gonna go check out some Gravely and the Simplicity today.

The toro cut well but mulched poorly. But the extra clippings make it grow really fast so I prefer to bag.

Gonna go check out some Gravely and the Simplicity today.
I have no experience with Simplicity besides their garden tractors, but the Gravelys I definitely recommend for the price. Many of them come with good hydro pumps and Kawasaki engines. I have a few customers with them and they are very happy, no real issues besides yearly service. Anything Exmark, Scag, or Gravely new or used (but well maintained) you really can't go wrong.

I second this.

Ok, deciding between these two...

I can get the X (first link) for $3795 cash, or $3995 and 0% for 48 months. MSRP is $4199.

I can get XL (second link) for $4195 cash, or $4395 and 0% for 48 months. MSRP is (I think) $4899.

I need to pick up myself an hour away or pay $300 delivery.

Or I can get the X at a different dealer for $4199 with free delivery and 0% for 48. And they might take my Regent on trade so I don't have to sell myself.

The main differences: XL has a transmission with serviceable oil and filter (X is oil only). XL has 4 year warranty vs 3 for the X. XL has a little nicer seat and arm rests. XL has rubber vibration mat and a deck height adapter to raise all the way without moving pin. I would buy these as add ons for the X ($150ish).

Not sure how big of a deal it is having a filter vs not?

Decisions.

Ok, deciding between these two...

I can get the X (first link) for $3795 cash, or $3995 and 0% for 48 months. MSRP is $4199.

I can get XL (second link) for $4195 cash, or $4395 and 0% for 48 months. MSRP is (I think) $4899.

I need to pick up myself an hour away or pay $300 delivery.

Or I can get the X at a different dealer for $4199 with free delivery and 0% for 48. And they might take my Regent on trade so I don't have to sell myself.

The main differences: XL has a transmission with serviceable oil and filter (X is oil only). XL has 4 year warranty vs 3 for the X. XL has a little nicer seat and arm rests. XL has rubber vibration mat and a deck height adapter to raise all the way without moving pin. I would buy these as add ons for the X ($150ish).

Not sure how big of a deal it is having a filter vs not?

Decisions.
Does gravely offer a chute blocker ? For mowing next to beds or the house?
My next mower will have that option.

Back