What zero turn and engine?

Gonna go check out some Gravely and the Simplicity today.

The toro cut well but mulched poorly. But the extra clippings make it grow really fast so I prefer to bag.
If you don't need a professional level mower I would look at the Ariens XD 42" with mulching blades. Ariens owns Gravely, I have used both zero turn mowers and prefer the Kawasaki 650 engine in the Ariens. The Ariens is also considerably less expensive.

looked up airens icon 42'',,its $3899 new on airens web page,dealer should be that price,,,they also have some promo pricing going on now,,neighbor has one and likes it,,it also has kawasaki engine look over toro stuff closely,,nice riders(zero turn),,have a promo going on too,,save some money

Last edited:
After struggling with box store quality for decades, I went with a nice little GT235 JD garden tractor, from the JD dealer, for my rural properties. It gets abused beyond belief and still holds up well. 20 years down the road, it's still a tough little monster.

Blade type and to some extent, deck shape, makes the difference in cut. Horsepower is necessary for tough cuts. The brand and type (tractor or zero turn) makes less difference.

The better equipment will have better and heavier duty blades, that stay sharp longer and mulch far better.

Choose a Kawasaki engine and run 5W-40 or 10W-40 synthetic.

This is what I have, with nice big wheels and a heavy duty JD deck that mulches everything, including small trees. While still providing a perfect cut.

52-td4-b01.jpg

Ok, deciding between these two...

I can get the X (first link) for $3795 cash, or $3995 and 0% for 48 months. MSRP is $4199.

I can get XL (second link) for $4195 cash, or $4395 and 0% for 48 months. MSRP is (I think) $4899.

I need to pick up myself an hour away or pay $300 delivery.

Or I can get the X at a different dealer for $4199 with free delivery and 0% for 48. And they might take my Regent on trade so I don't have to sell myself.

The main differences: XL has a transmission with serviceable oil and filter (X is oil only). XL has 4 year warranty vs 3 for the X. XL has a little nicer seat and arm rests. XL has rubber vibration mat and a deck height adapter to raise all the way without moving pin. I would buy these as add ons for the X ($150ish).

Not sure how big of a deal it is having a filter vs not?

Decisions.
Get the XL with the serviceable transmission, it is overall a better built machine. The X is not bad, but the XL is closer to commercial grade.

Get the XL with the serviceable transmission, it is overall a better built machine. The X is not bad, but the XL is closer to commercial grade.

How big of a deal is it to have a transmission filter that can be changed? In the X the transmission oil can be changed but not filter. This and an extra year warranty are main differences between them.

Note, I have only half acre lot (just enough to not just push) and put on about 15 to 20 hours a year on a zero turn.

I would say the filter is the main benefit as it will filter out any contaminants especially after break-in, in addition to the longer warranty. The serviceable hydros would also help the machine hold its value longer, in case you had to sell it down the road.

So I went to a couple dealers yesterday for Gravely. I think that I probably should go with the XL. It is $650 more than the X after accessories I would buy for the X that are standard on XL. The prices that seemed too good to be true from the one dealer, were. I called them again and was told I was quoted rebates and discounts for Hustler. Every Gravely dealer is selling at MSPR, which for 42" XL is $4999.

So today I'm going to go check out a Spartan RZ-C and also the Hustlers at two different dealers.

Thoughts on these?

Here are links to the Spartan ($500 off promo right now or 0% for up to 60):

https://spartanmowers.com/rz-c/
(note: I think this is 2023, the ones near me are 2022 with Briggs Commercial 25 hp and not Kaw 600 series)
http://www.metromotorcycles.com/spartan-mowers (RZ C 42, the third one listed)

How does Tuff Torq 300 series compare to the more common HT-2200 and 2800?

Hustler:
More than likely this is the model Hustler I'd go with and I think it would be $400 off MSRP plus 0% for 48 (considering Brandon's inflation I would like to do financing if available): https://www.hustlerturf.com/products/raptor-xd

Gravely:

One thing that is important to me is good bagger performance (without a blower if possible). The new Gravely X-Factor deck I have heard is great and the non-powered bagger works well with it. Hustler doesn't have such a deck. I think the 2023 Spartan has a deck similar to the X-Factor but from what I can tell the 2022 doesn't (I will find out in an hour or two when I go look at it), and I am not 100% sure I can even get a bagger for Spartan.

But, any general thoughts on these?

The Spartans look pretty decent, but I've never seen one in person. I don't think we have a dealer for them around here, or at least they aren't very common. I will say that the Briggs Commercial engine is pretty good. I have swapped a few of them onto commercial mowers that had blown engines as repowers, and all are going strong still. Not sure what Spartan's dealer or parts network looks like, I can really only speak for the Gravely. We have 3 or 4 dealers for them here. The XL is a great machine, and of course I'm biased as I have a 1968 Gravely Walkbehind tractor still earning its keep, and previously owned a 1948 and 1971 Gravely walkbehind, all were easy to find parts for. The newer Gravelys are made by Ariens, and is basically their more upscale/commercial line.

So Gravely it is. Didn't like the deck design and can't get a bagger on Spartan. Hustler just seemed bad quality for the price.

Only decisions are 42" or 48", and X or XL. Getting very mixed opinions on importance of the filter on 2800 vs 2200 with no filter but does have a drain plug.

So Gravely it is. Didn't like the deck design and can't get a bagger on Spartan. Hustler just seemed bad quality for the price.

Only decisions are 42" or 48", and X or XL. Getting very mixed opinions on importance of the filter on 2800 vs 2200 with no filter but does have a drain plug.
I'd spend the money on the XL with the filters. 42" or 48" really depends on your yard size and obstacles. The biggest selling point with Hustler used to be they offered Honda V-Twin engines on a lot of their mowers. I'm not sure if that is the case anymore.

The 2800 is overall a bit tougher in addition to spin on filters vs an internal mesh filter. The 2800’s are rated for 100 more pounds of weight, puts out 85 more ft lbs torque (300 vs 215), has bigger motors (16cc vs 10cc), and rated for 1 more mph (8 vs 7).

How big of a deal is it to have a transmission filter that can be changed? In the X the transmission oil can be changed but not filter. This and an extra year warranty are main differences between them.

Note, I have only half acre lot (just enough to not just push) and put on about 15 to 20 hours a year on a zero turn.
The XL has better transaxle.

Bought the Gravely ZT-XL 42" today. Was a tough call vs 48" but we have a small yard and this will maneuver and store easier. But going from the 651 to 691 was tempting, too. Has the Hydro 2800 transmission which is why I got it instead of the X. I got the bagger (non-turbo), too. Will be delivered May 28.

You're going to love it. (y)

I almost walked. The dealer uses Synchrony which is 0% for 18 months (plus $50 promo fee). Yard Card, which is what Ariens/Gravely advertises, is 0% for 48 months right now (plus $125 promo fee). We could pay cash but with this inflation don't want to. So I offered he install the bagger for free (normally charges $60 so I was going to install myself) or else I would go to another dealer (I named the dealer) and he agreed. He was also $50 less on the bagger than other places, no setup fee, no financing fee ($80 delivery because 55 miles away). A lot of places do a surcharge for Yard Card financing (3% or just a flat $200 or $300) because the finance company charges the dealers (probably less finance to dealer fees with Synchrony is my guess and why he switched). Other dealer was $75 setup and delivery each and $50 more on bagger (unknown if they would have charged for bagger install).

So I think I got a pretty good deal even though there were no rebates and all dealers were selling at MSRP. But this is the mower I wanted. There is a small area where there was a bit of dirt on the frame when it was painted so not totally smooth. I didn't even mention it, though (and this was only one of that model at that dealer).

Now need to sell my Simplicity Regent. Ordered $42 of parts today to fix cruise control.

Last edited:
I almost walked. The dealer uses Synchrony which is 0% for 18 months (plus $50 promo fee). Yard Card, which is what Ariens/Gravely advertises, is 0% for 48 months right now (plus $125 promo fee). We could pay cash but with this inflation don't want to. So I offered he install the bagger for free (normally charges $60 so I was going to install myself) or else I would go to another dealer (I named the dealer) and he agreed. He was also $50 less on the bagger than other places, no setup fee, no financing fee ($80 delivery because 55 miles away). A lot of places do a surcharge for Yard Card financing (3% or just a flat $200 or $300) because the finance company charges the dealers (probably less finance to dealer fees with Synchrony is my guess and why he switched). Other dealer was $75 setup and delivery each and $50 more on bagger (unknown if they would have charged for bagger install).

So I think I got a pretty good deal even though there were no rebates and all dealers were selling at MSRP. But this is the mower I wanted. There is a small area where there was a bit of dirt on the frame when it was painted so not totally smooth. I didn't even mention it, though (and this was only one of that model at that dealer).

Now need to sell my Simplicity Regent. Ordered $42 of parts today to fix cruise control.
Yeah none of the dealers near me have any rebates/deals going on mowers, or any equipment really. They know the machines are hard to get, and that Home Depot/Lowes are pushing the battery stuff or low level junk for high prices. With that said, the dealers are 100x better about handling any warranty stuff than the big box stores.

Gonna go check out some Gravely and the Simplicity today.

The toro cut well but mulched poorly. But the extra clippings make it grow really fast so I prefer to bag.
My previous ZT was a Simplicity. It was their best residential mower. I ran it three years, but couldn't keep the deck clean. My son bought a Gravely 52" ZT. In comparison, it mowed the pants off the Simplicity. I replaced the Simplicity with a Gravely ZT HD 52. Coming into my fifth year with it. My son liked mine so much that he replaced his Gravely with the updated model ZT HD 60. I've run Rotary Copperhead, and Oregon Gator G5 blades. Neither of them cut as well as the OEM high lift blades. Our ZT HD's run ZT-3100 hydros. Many comparable other brand mowers run ZT-2800's. I have 240 trouble free hours on my machine. Good luck!

Great choice on the Gravely ZT-XL 42". I have the 2022 model.

I was originally looking at the Ariens Ikon, but then I found out that the Gravely ZT-XL has better transaxles (ZT-2800) that are serviceable with replaceable filters for a bit more, so that's basically what made my decision.

I did a lot of research, and unless one got under my radar, there's not another make/model of zero turn mower that offers the ZT-2800 hydros (the lowest-spec model transaxle made by Hydro-Gear at that time that still had serviceable hydros with replaceable filters) at that price point (around 5 grand). Of course, my other requirement was a mower that would fit through the 4' gate of our back yard.

Also liked that the Gravely 42" has 3 blades, compared with only 2 blades of some other OEMs with this size deck.

I think Gravely, compared with many other zero-turn OEMs (I heard there are 36 manufacturers of zero-turn mowers or something like that), offers a lot of value, often including higher spec transaxles on given models than other OEMs.

I've been really happy with mine, with over 20 hrs on it so far. Of course, having bought it in September, I didn't do a lot of grass mowing with it last year, but I did do a lot of leaf mulching, since we have lots of trees in the front and side yards (I had the dealer install a mulching kit before I picked it up). It did a great job with the leaf mulching, and it also mulches the grass clippings very well. I haven't tried side-discharge and have no plans to, since the mulching kit works so well.

Looks like yours has some updates (frame, updated deck with removable servicing plate on top for easy access to pulleys, which I wish mine had, new frame, new LED headlights, better seat with vibration isolators, more aggressive tires, updated styling).

Can't tell, but did they change the deck height adjustment mechanism on yours? Does it have the knob (like mine), or the pin-and-hole setup, a-la ZT-HD? Personally I wish mine had the latter style.

Have you run it yet?

Let's see some photos!

Great choice on the Gravely ZT-XL 42". I have the 2022 model.

I was originally looking at the Ariens Ikon, but then I found out that the Gravely ZT-XL has better transaxles (ZT-2800) that are serviceable with replaceable filters for a bit more, so that's basically what made my decision.

I did a lot of research, and unless one got under my radar, there's not another make/model of zero turn mower that offers the ZT-2800 hydros (the lowest-spec model transaxle made by Hydro-Gear at that time that still had serviceable hydros with replaceable filters) at that price point (around 5 grand). Of course, my other requirement was a mower that would fit through the 4' gate of our back yard.

Also liked that the Gravely 42" has 3 blades, compared with only 2 blades of some other OEMs with this size deck.

I think Gravely, compared with many other zero-turn OEMs (I heard there are 36 manufacturers of zero-turn mowers or something like that), offers a lot of value, often including higher spec transaxles on given models than other OEMs.

I've been really happy with mine, with over 20 hrs on it so far. Of course, having bought it in September, I didn't do a lot of grass mowing with it last year, but I did do a lot of leaf mulching, since we have lots of trees in the front and side yards (I had the dealer install a mulching kit before I picked it up). It did a great job with the leaf mulching, and it also mulches the grass clippings very well. I haven't tried side-discharge and have no plans to, since the mulching kit works so well.

Looks like yours has some updates (frame, updated deck with removable servicing plate on top for easy access to pulleys, which I wish mine had, new frame, new LED headlights, better seat with vibration isolators, more aggressive tires, updated styling).

Can't tell, but did they change the deck height adjustment mechanism on yours? Does it have the knob (like mine), or the pin-and-hole setup, a-la ZT-HD? Personally I wish mine had the latter style.

Have you run it yet?

Let's see some photos!

Ran it the first time yesterday. It is dry here so dust was everywhere. A definite improvement in air flow over the Simplicity Regent or former low end (two blade) 42" Toro ZT (which now sells for MSRP $3500, which to me seems crazy for that quality machine). Feels very sturdy and the bagger didn't clog at all (though it was dry and I cut high). I do have a concern that if it does clog it will be tough to get loose because of the design of the tube (one piece).

The seat is comfortable and the handles feel sturdy and heavy duty (not covered with cheap neoprene like most low end models).

Only a couple concerns: It is a bit difficult to start. Though it might be because I was putting on full choke, and it seemed to start better if I only did half choke. I'm just used to having to do full choke on just about everything small engines to start even if the ambient temperature is warm.

The other concerns is the bagger size. It got caught on the fence several times when turning. Not an issue with the Simplicity because of the turning radius of a tractor. Just the nature of it, I guess. Will have to be really careful in maneuvering around the fence lines.

Mine has the pin style deck height, not the dial. The XL also has where if you press the deck height pedal all the way it locks in the top position (I think it is a $50 option on the X). I like this style vs the dial for sure. I also like the new deck design in the 2023, and that if you want the turbo later it can be added without buying a whole new bagger system. All the updates (which you mentioned) are definitely nice and why I opted for a 2023 vs a little better deal on the 2022. The only thing that doesn't seem to matter really is the rubber stoppers under the seat.

Back