Should I change belt on zero turn mower?

I'm the OP with an update. I'm finally making progress. First thing, I needed to move the mower away from a wall and into the center of my working area of the garage. But the battery was dead. It was six tears old. So new battery installed, moved mower and inflated tires. Used my floor jack to lift mower and tried to remove bolts with my 20V impact driver. No good. Then I found my breaker bar which is a half inch drive, but I don't have a 16mm socket with a half inch drive. So off to Auto Zone to get a socket. I was then able to remove the bolts. I'm now in the process of scraping the deck clean. I'll finish cleaning today and reinstall the new blades.

So it turned into a bit of a project but that's fine because I'm retired and have plenty of time.

I actually bought the replacement blades last summer. I sprayed WD40 on the bolts and let them sit. Then banged on them with a hammer to try to loosen them but I couldn't get the bolts off to remove the old blades. Then I figured it would be best to wait for the off season and remove the deck to make it easier. Make sense?
You need the correct tool: an impact wrench.

You need the correct tool. An impact wrench is a SAFE and easy way to remove the blade bolts

1000002942.jpg

One thing to be aware of when removing the blades. First time I did it I held the sheave to stop it from turning as I removed the bolt. I didn't realize the edge of the sheave was worn to a sharp edge from the belt riding a bit high. When My hand slipped on the sheave, it turn and put a nice slice in the palm of my hand. Needless to say, I now use a strap wrench to hold the sheave.

I wedge in a short piece of 2X4 to hold the blade and then a 3 foot cheater. When the deck steel gives way I get a new mower. That took about 30 years on my dixon. The Cub cadet is only 10 years old so hopefully I have a while.

Rod

R

That'll work to initially loosen the bolt, once it comes free, the shaft will turn as you attempt to remove the bolt. I use blue Loctite on the bolts so mine'll be a bit harder to turn without turning the shaft. If you don't use a thread locker it may turn freer all the way out.

That'll work to initially loosen the bolt, once it comes free, the shaft will turn as you attempt to remove the bolt. I use blue Loctite on the bolts so mine'll be a bit harder to turn without turning the shaft. If you don't use a thread locker it may turn freer all the way out.
The joy of a star drive. I pain is if you hit something. been about 30 years since I hit anything that hard.

I just ordered cheap and keep a spare set of belts for my zero turn, but don't change them unless they break or get damaged. Which has not happened yet in 5 years and 250-ish hours. IF a belt should break when mowing, I have the replacement ready to go, instead of paying high price and causing a trip into town.

Back