Did You Do A "Break-In" Oil Change On Your Riding Lawn Mower/Zero-Turn?

I have a toro zero turn with the fr-651v. I changed the oil after an hour , the next change at 10hrs. Then once a year. 200hrs or so on it now.

I run a fram ultra 3614, and currently use amsoil AME 15w40. When thats used up , i may go HPL.

The Ariens/Gravely manuals call for 5 hour initial changes on both the engine and hydros, at least in my manual. I’m coming up on my second change, waiting on HPL to confirm they have a fluid to replace the Amsoil ASF & hydro fluid I used when I changed them out.
I was looking at that earlier today. Their diesel oil is available in 10w30, 10w40 and 20w50. Should fit the bill nicely

Do your hydros have filters on them? Or just a drain plug
I wish. No to both. Just the single hydro, no drain plug. You have to take it out of the mower and flip it to drain it. There's not even a way to get a suction device down into the fill plug to pump it out.

True base model consumer unit built for limited life span.

I wish. No to both. Just the single hydro, no drain plug. You have to take it out of the mower and flip it to drain it. There's not even a way to get a suction device down into the fill plug to pump it out.

True base model consumer unit built for limited life span.
That stinks. My hydros have spin-on filters that double as the drain plug, each one bigger than the 6607 series. The issue is that they’re STUPID expensive for what you get- no bypass nor ADBV, and the NAPA equivalent (one of the WL series filters) was $28 for the pair!

The vent/fill hole is on top of the hydro, under the frame, and there is a small ~4oz reservoir on each side. You remove the filter & drain the hydro, replace the filter, pull the vent plug & fill through the reservoir until you get fluid to the top of the housing. Then you replace the vent plug & top off the reservoir… then disengage the hydro bypass lever to the mower doesn’t move, and cycle the steering arms about 10 times each direction similar to a power steering flush & fill.

I had to buy 5 quarts of hydro fluid since each one takes about 80 ounces IIRC. Makes for a nearly $100 zero turn mower service when you include 3 quarts of Amsoil Small Engine and a Fram XG filter! 🤯

The Ariens/Gravely manuals call for 5 hour initial changes on both the engine and hydros, at least in my manual. I’m coming up on my second change, waiting on HPL to confirm they have a fluid to replace the Amsoil ASF & hydro fluid I used when I changed them out.
My 2022 Gravely ZTXL manual calls for changing engine oil initially at 75 hours, but the Kawasaki manual that also came with the lawnmower, does not call for an engine oil change until 100 hours, and then they don’t call for the filter to be changed until 200 hours.

Seems they have changed the verbiage over the years, because, I have also seen where some people posted up that their Gravely manual called for it to be changed earlier.

Similar to your manuals, but Cub called for a change at 5 hours, Kawasaki calls for 100.

I changed it at 5 hours, now I do it in the spring before 1st mow along with a new air filter. I think I’m at 30-35 hours or so on mine. Haven’t touched the hydro’s though.

Child #3 of 4 LOVES riding around on it, the sound doesn’t phase him one bit even if you have the blades on.
IMG_8079.jpeg

That stinks. My hydros have spin-on filters that double as the drain plug, each one bigger than the 6607 series. The issue is that they’re STUPID expensive for what you get- no bypass nor ADBV, and the NAPA equivalent (one of the WL series filters) was $28 for the pair!

The vent/fill hole is on top of the hydro, under the frame, and there is a small ~4oz reservoir on each side. You remove the filter & drain the hydro, replace the filter, pull the vent plug & fill through the reservoir until you get fluid to the top of the housing. Then you replace the vent plug & top off the reservoir… then disengage the hydro bypass lever to the mower doesn’t move, and cycle the steering arms about 10 times each direction similar to a power steering flush & fill.

I had to buy 5 quarts of hydro fluid since each one takes about 80 ounces IIRC. Makes for a nearly $100 zero turn mower service when you include 3 quarts of Amsoil Small Engine and a Fram XG filter!
Order Stens or Rotary replacement hydraulic filters and that will save you a little money.
My mower takes a hair over 5 quarts of 20W50 per side for the hydros.

Nice mower! I just bought a used 2022 Hustler Raptor XD with 23 hours on it. Has the FR691V Kawasaki and 2800 hydros. My manual says to change the engine oil at 5-10 hours and 40-60 thereafter. I dumped it as soon as I got it home. Refilled with Mobil 1 15w-50 as that is what I'll also run in the hydros. I'll change it once per year as that will put me at about 50 hours.

The Hustler manual also says to change the hydro oil between 25 and 50 hours and then every 200. I'm going to change mine at my mid-season blade sharpening. I should have about 35 ish hours on it at that point. I'll then change every other year.

Enjoy that mower. I went from a 42" Craftsman tractor to a 54" ZT. Quite the learning curve, to say the least but I don't think I'll ever go back now (unless I run this one in a ditch and get mad).

5 quarts per hydro sounds great because it means you likely have an easier way to fill it, plus with that much oil the service interval is probably what, 10 years plus?

What kind of hydro?
Hydro-Gear ZT5400. It’s not any easier to fill than those with the spin on filters.
Service interval 75 hours for first change and then every 400 hours.

Honestly, I think the Amsoil ASF may be a little more solid engagement than the Hydro Gear lube from the factory. Especially in reverse, the hydros seem to spin the tires on a swift direction change where initially it seemed slower and the tire bit rather than spun.

It could all be in my head, though. :p

Honestly, I think the Amsoil ASF may be a little more solid engagement than the Hydro Gear lube from the factory. Especially in reverse, the hydros seem to spin the tires on a swift direction change where initially it seemed slower and the tire bit rather than spun.

It could all be in my head, though. :p
Hydro-Gear doesn’t call for anything other than conventional 20W50.
The mower manufacturers want you to buy their expensive brand of synthetic.
I can’t tell any difference between what came in my hydros and the NAPA 20W50 that I put in them.
I might use Valvoline VR1 20W50 conventional the next change.

My zero turn needed an oil change in 50 hrs then every 200 after that. I do 60-70 a year so bi yearly is fair I guess.

Back