DI Engines - 100K mile Reviews ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dishdude

Also, you don't need a bottle of Techron if you're using Top Tier fuel, the fuel already has a ton of detergent in it. Dumping an entire bottle of Tide into your washing machine isn't going to get your clothes any cleaner.

That isn't quite true. Testing by Costco, Conoco/phillips66, BP and shell all showed that TT wasn't enough to keep regular port injection properly clean let alone DI. That is why they all use more additives than TT requires.

Anybody else use premium Tier One gas to lean out an engine ? Aren't most GDI engines made to run on 87 octane ?
Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Based on replies I have modified my GDI engine maintenance checklist :

1) Use Top Tier gas
2) Don't "lug" a GDI engine , keep RPM's up (plus Italian tune up on occasion) .
3) Use a top quality , low NOACK oil
4) Use synthetic oil and change 5) Add a bottle of Techron every 3,000 miles
6) Perform a CRC Intake cleaning every 7,500 ~ 10,000 miles .

* Here is the $64K question : Am I actually saving any $$ with a GDI engine when compared to a PFI engine - especially considering the above routine ?

I would not do #6. #5 can wait every 5k or so. In addition to #1, I run premium because it leans out my engine and reduces fuel dilution for me. I also get better MPGs on premium. It is the first thing i'd recommend for any DI engine. With premium it doesn't have to spray as much fuel to keep combustion temps down.

Originally Posted By: glock19
This thread has been very interesting to me. My wife is going to need a new car soon and I was thinking she might like the Santa Fe Sport. However, with this list of do's and dont's for DI I'm thinking it's probably not the best choice for her. The trouble might be finding a new car that doesn't have DI.

I'm sure any bitoger would have no problem mainting a DI vehicle but how are common people who don't give two hoots about a car keeping them running reliably?

EDIT: Also, how do people with DI put up with such short OCIs? Currently, her Highlander uses a 7,500K OCI and we're changing the oil 4 times a year. This thread has indicated sticking to a 3,750K OCI. I can't imagine changing the oil 8 times a year.

ffs. Look, I own a DI vehicle with almost 38k miles on it. I do my full syn oil changes every 8-10k miles, I run techron every 7-10k when I remember, and I haven't done a single intake cleaning. This is exactly how I would take care of any vehicle- non DI or not. And my engine is still intact. There is waaaayyy too much FUD on this topic.

Anybody else use premium Tier One gas to lean out an engine ? Aren't most GDI engines made to run on 87 octane ?

I'm the only one as of now, at least with the UOA to back it up.

I will be on the market for a new/newish car in 2016. From the cars I'm looking for, not much is PFI, but at this point I don't think I will mind, except the backwards step with oil requirements, meaning putting in premium synthetic oil at dino intervals in econoboxes.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Based on replies I have modified my GDI engine maintenance checklist :

1) Use Top Tier gas
2) Don't "lug" a GDI engine , keep RPM's up (plus Italian tune up on occasion) .
3) Use a top quality , low NOACK oil
4) Use synthetic oil and change 5) Add a bottle of Techron every 3,000 miles
6) Perform a CRC Intake cleaning every 7,500 ~ 10,000 miles .

* Here is the $64K question : Am I actually saving any $$ with a GDI engine when compared to a PFI engine - especially considering the above routine ?

I would not do #6. #5 can wait every 5k or so. In addition to #1, I run premium because it leans out my engine and reduces fuel dilution for me. I also get better MPGs on premium. It is the first thing i'd recommend for any DI engine. With premium it doesn't have to spray as much fuel to keep combustion temps down.

I can unequivocally say that my Sonata drives much better on Premium Fuels than on the allowed Regular. I didnt think this would be the case but it has turned out to be true. Reason? I can still hear a faint (very faint in fact) ping or two when the car goes from 2nd to 3rd gear when using Regualar 87 octane (could it have been a tank of bad gas? Probably). No such issue when using Premium.

Last edited:
86k miles on mine, so not quite 100k.

It runs great. Fuel economy is as good as ever and there's no perceptible power loss.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
86k miles on mine, so not quite 100k.

It runs great. Fuel economy is as good as ever and there's no perceptible power loss.

You hit two symptoms on the head... those plus rough start-up idle. Glad to hear.

Originally Posted By: wemay

You hit two symptoms on the head... those plus rough start-up idle. Glad to hear.

Idle is smooth, at least visually looking at the tach. I can feel a touch of vibration through the seat, but I would attribute that to five year old rubber engine mounts more than anything.

Idle is smooth, at least visually looking at the tach. I can feel a touch of vibration through the seat, but I would attribute that to five year old rubber engine mounts more than anything.

Me too.

I find it interesting ow the Asian Report states not to lug the engine. Thing is, in many cars they are Automatics and they shift at a pre programmed shift point...to do what?? Save GAS. So can this be that Engine and Transmission Tuning may be causing carbon build up in order to save fuel?

Sure I like to get on my car once in a while, but the Po Po only lets you go so fast. So if your car is an Automatic the ECU is telling it when to shift not me, so
21.gif

Once a month I get on the freeway for about 20 min and keep the car in 4th gear, at 70 MPH the car is around 4K rpm. I do this for 20 minutes then get off the freeway. Thats the best Italian Tune I can do here in California. Otherwise the Po Po will
spankme2.gif
me!!

Jeff

Last edited:

My MS3 also vibrates a bit a idle, but then I recently replaced the OEM rear motor mount with the equivalent part from the E-Focus...

2 of them - oldest will turn 82k shortly.

I'm the worst owner, for the SHO:
1. Fill up with the cheapest 87 I can find
2. Change the oil when the OLM tells me to.

Runs like a top and no hints of issues.

The F150 is the same except I change the oil every 6 mo or when the OLM goes off (it hasn't yet).

I'm not concerned- the EB 3.5 is a fine engine.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
2 of them - oldest will turn 82k shortly.

I'm the worst owner, for the SHO:
1. Fill up with the cheapest 87 I can find
2. Change the oil when the OLM tells me to.

Runs like a top and no hints of issues.

The F150 is the same except I change the oil every 6 mo or when the OLM goes off (it hasn't yet).

I'm not concerned- the EB 3.5 is a fine engine.

All in all, you're probably right itguy08. Way to much worrying involved in this thread.

A BG 44 Fuel Test on a Ford DI engine : http://bgfueltest.com/
Beginning to see a patturn here of preventative measures ...

Bogus "test". From what I remember they had to run 10 dyno runs to get meaningful results and it was not that great at all (at least from the deposit cleaning). Their new site is missing a lot of the content from the old site.

Also their dyno run is BOGUS. The 2010+ Taurus SHO is an AWD car. Never sold as FWD. Yet in their dyno run video (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P1ofthClbBw) they clearly are using a 2WD dyno with the traction control system yelling (yellow light and wrench). Heck, the place they used, Witchita Dyno (www.witchitadyno.com) does not offer AWD dynos according to their webpage.

Last edited:
I agree. I wouldnt necessarily trust any test conducted by the mfr of the product highlighted in said test.

All in all, you're probably right itguy08. Way too much worrying involved in this thread.

Particularly by the people who don't even own a DI car...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back