DI Engines - 100K mile Reviews ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My latest UOA can be found here. As anyone can see, at 146,113 miles my DI turbo engine is ready to succumb to all of the numerous shortcomings of DI technology.

Good info from Hyundai Tech - that includes two prevent IVD items from my list ...Debatable which (if any) remaining IVD prevent items from my list are required at some point ?
Originally Posted By: wemay
Today:
2.4 GDi Theta II
Hyundai (tech line) has assured me, go with a certified API-SM/ILSAC GF-4 oil (or above since everything is SN/GF-5), Top Tier fuel or Hyundai fuel additive (Techron) to keep injector spray consistent, all will be fine. Synthetic oil is not necessary nor worth the expense at the industry conservative oil change intervals listed in the Owner's Manual, "but that is a personal decision". "We've not seen the GDi, intake valve deposit issues that were experienced by other manufacturers in the early 2000's that most have now sorted out".

Us Direct Injection owners are just answering a question that was asked. We answered with honest opinion based on the experience had as well as sharing what we read in the various Forums we either belong to or visit. If you don't like/want/trust the technology, simple - don't buy it, that's understandable. But i, for one, am very happy with our purchase.

smile.gif

Originally Posted By: MCompact
My latest UOA can be found here. As anyone can see, at 146,113 miles my DI turbo engine is ready to succumb to all of the numerous shortcomings of DI technology.

Quick, get rid of it. She may only last another 200k miles or so.

FWIW, my '11 Sonata has close to 70K on it, and all I do is use QT or Shell fuel because I just happen to like it and it ran well in the Ram I used to own. Also, when I remember (as close to 3K as possible, or near the end of an OCI), I throw a bottle of Techron in and use the oil in my sig. You can find a current, relevant UOA for my car here. Other than that, no problems to report whatsoever, and loving the power!

My 2011 Sonata has 61,800 miles on it. The oil and filter get changed at the dealer every 5,000 miles. I also run fuel system cleaner in it 2 - 3 times a year.

My particular engine is using 1qt of oil every 800-1000 miles. No obvious leaks anywhere under the hood or under the car. It is at the point where I check the the oil level every time I stop for gas. Power seems fine, and fuel economy has not changed. The car just uses oil. I just keep the oil topped off with conventional 5w20 and press on. Somewhat inconvenient, but not the end of the world. There have been reports online of early build 2011 2.4L Sonatas experiencing catastrophic engine failure due to total loss of engine oil. Based on my experience I can see why this may happen to people.

Would I buy another Hyundai...sure. Am I sold on DI technology...not really but it is becoming the status quo.

Our third Hyundai and thankfully, no consumption issues to speak of. The Veloster was sold with over 70k easy going miles using a multitude of conventional and synthetics. The one's in the signature are under 25k miles so still to early to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back