Denied a test drive at Honda???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say after replacing a truck and buying two VW's from the dealer in Altoona, PA, how happy I was with both the sales people and the service I have received afterward. This dealership has gone out of the way to be customer friendly. I would buty there again in a heartbeat and have recommended them to others.

I think a lot depends on the dealer management, quite frankly. If the management simply values numbers, they won't care how people are treated as long as the sales quotas are met or exceeded.

My "favorite" sales experience was when I lived in Indiana and called a Ford dealership in Indianapolis after reading their newspaper ad for a particular model. A woman answered the phone and when I told her I was interested in buying a vehicle as advertised, she told me all the sales people were in a "really important sales meeting" and could not come to the phone!!

Just say yeah you'll buy today then when you're done with the test drive lowball them by 4k and when they laugh you out of the showroom just say you're getting a chevy spork anyway because consumer reports says they're stolen less.

The idiot sales twerp acts like he is selling a Ferrari. I would complain to management.

By the way: Are you black, white, Hispanic, Asian, etc....?

When we asked a salesman if we could test drive a civic he asked if we were planning on buying today. When we said "no, not today" he said that he works 100% on commission and if we are not going to buy today he couldn't give a test drive. Totally baffled by his response we left the dealership.

This absolutely crazy- even you told him you weren't buying that day, he's nuts not to give a test drive strictly on the notion that perhaps that test drive just might sow some seeds, that in a month become a sale......

FIRST you choose the dealer(s). THEN you choose the car.

I know where the salesman is coming from, which is not to be read "I agree with what he did". But if it mystifies you as to the why, it goes like this:

The dealer sells a brand that is in higher demand than inventory, thus they can afford to lose individual customers because another one is right behind you. So the Dealership dossn't care.

The Salesman is aggressive enough (he got you, didn't he?) that he feels he can get anyone who walks through the door ahead of the other staff. It's also quite possible the Dealer is the type to "starve the sharks" as in he hires more sales staff than the dealership can support, trusting they will be agressive plus they will weed themselves out if they are not top salesmen.

So his being tied up with a non-sale is the equivalent, to him, of being at the bar while others eat his lunch, minus the drinks.

Not a pretty situation, but the reality of commissioned car sales.

Wow what a jerk. Anytime I have ever been to a dealership all the salesperson wanted me to do was take the car for a test drive.

We are white. I'm in my 20's and my dad 50's. So there is nothing out of the ordinary there.

I'm kind of over it now. Just needed to vent. There is no way I would buy a brand new car anyways, especially a 9th gen civic. Just wanted to take a quick spin to see how they drove.

Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete
Wear a shirt next time.

crackmeup2.gif

I was a salesman for Ford and Chrysler products at a dealership. I sold a lot of cars to people "who were just looking today". Just because you don't buy today does not mean you are not going to come back and buy later or change their mind and buy right there.

That was a terrible salesman. At my old dealership, he would be canned for that.

I bought a hot tub a couple months ago, and the one place I went to the salesman asked me no less than a dozen times if I was buying today. He then proceeded to just bash another dealer and the brand they carried. I ended up buying one at the place he spent a half hour bashing.

There is surprisingly huge variation in sales people and car dealerships.

I've had test drives that the sales guy was very nervous and only wanted me to drive about a half mile from the dealership and then return. I've had it where the sales guy drives it out and lets you drive it back. I've had them just throw me the keys and test drove it alone.

I'm somewhat surprised that a Honda dealer was not falling over backwards to let you drive one. They have so many black eyes right now with airbags and federal fines that the last thing they need is to be a equestrian posterior to any one with even a passing interest in buying a car.

I hate that "what can I do to get you to buy it today" hogwash. My usual reply is "You can start by not asking me that again".

Though I agree "How would I know, I haven't driven it" would be good in this situation.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

I hate that "what can I do to get you to buy it today" hogwash. My usual reply is "You can start by not asking me that again".

Actually I'll buy it today only for 100$.

I have said just that to sales people that ask this stupid question. Yes, I'm sure the SM instructs them to ask this, but he can't force you to say it. Or, in the event the salesman has been forced to ask that question I would respectfully explain that to the customer, at least it makes you look professional even if the management is not.

I had a salesman at a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram dealer who was more interested in selling me the glass, paint, and fabric protection packages... even before he was anywhere near being able to sell me the vehicle.

Add in two or three more of the sleeziest sales tactics ever (including "Pardon me, I need to go hide the vehicle you're looking at, I was just told that some other salesman is looking for it"), and that's how the visit went.

I walked out, and never went back.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

Actually I'll buy it today only for 100$.

Yeah Ive used that one too, or "I'll give you $500.00?".

I find usually once they figure out it isn't going to work they abandon it. You really only get this when you're shopping at a place that has the usual clientele that it works on, my closest Honda dealer is just such a place - it is so slimy you will be looking around to see if you've accidentally walked into a Toyota dealer...

I can think of a few responses:

1. Meet the question with silence and just stare at him. People normally can't stand silence, so he'll probably start talking. If he asks again tell him what I tell people who respond with a question to my question: "I'll be glad to answer your question after you've answered mine."

2. One I like to use with pushy sales people: "Buwahahah, your Jedi mind tricks won't work on me boy." I've yet to see a salesperson trained with a response to that one.

3. If you're in a great mood, you could always respond with "If I like it, and you agree to my price, yes." You decide if you like it enough.

I've made it a point this late in life to only answer questions from sales people that I chose to answer. If I don't think the question benefits me, then I won't answer it.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
There is surprisingly huge variation in sales people and car dealerships.

So true. I remember one time when I was looking at a honda civic years ago, I went to a dealership. I asked a younger sales guy if I could take one for a spin, he said sure. He threw me some keys, asked me for my license to make a quick photocopy, and told me to bring it back with some gas. After I got back, we talked for a little bit. After talking he said he would be happy to sell me a new car, but if he were me, he wouldn't get rid of my car. At the time I was in my mid 20's, my current car was paid off, I was the original owner of my car, meticulously maintained my car, had an apartment with off-street parking, so there were a number of reasons why keeping my car would be a smarter choice. I appreciated his honesty, and while he didn't get a sale, I would have no problem sending people to see him and the dealership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back