Denied a test drive at Honda???

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my father and I went to a Honda dealer (Buerkle Honda in white bear lake, MN) to test drive a new civic. Among our family we have a 95, 02, 03, 10 and 2011 civic and a 2005 accord. We were just curious how the new civic stacks up against the 8th gen (2006-2011).

When we asked a salesman if we could test drive a civic he asked if we were planning on buying today. When we said "no, not today" he said that he works 100% on commission and if we are not going to buy today he couldn't give a test drive. Totally baffled by his response we left the dealership.

Now I understand it is a Saturday but there were only a few people there, and most of them were there for service. While there were a group of 4-5 salesman just standing around talking to each other.

I still can't believe we were turned down to test drive a freaking Honda civic? Talk about poor sales tactic. Sales man are all the same...

find a new dealer or if you like that dealer complain to a manager.

but i agree that is weird... no wonder he is having trouble selling cars. lol

Next time just say, Sure with a big smile and a wink. Turn the tables on him. Can't take someone like that seriously.
smile.gif

"No soup for you!"

Seriously, unless he was really busy or had other pressing matters he should have allowed you to test drive a car. You are a Honda family for crying out loud!

I own two 8th gens myself and the 9th gen is the same motor and transmission. The big difference is in the dashboard technology. If you really like those bells and whistles then you'd probably be impressed. As far as the ride, the 9th is very similar. I've driven the 9th Civic and Accord.

Last edited:
I've also had poor sales experience at my local Honda dealer, but Honda dealers in NYC are there own breed of wretched.

Move on, there not worth your buisness

Leave a relevant rating on Google Maps and DealerRater.

A BMW dealer once let me take the keys to a 3 series convertible with no identification nor any details nor any set return time.

An Audi dealer also did something similar.

But I've also had to deal with the, putting it mildly, difficult sales person as well.

I would have gone and found the GM and told him about that and explained that I would never be back and that I'd also let all my
family, friends and neighbors know how "accommodating" they are.
LOL.

This is another reason why the dealership model needs to be
ended.

Yeah, I really had no intention on buying a new civic. (I love my 2010 Civic). But I never said that. I just said I wasn't going to be buying today and wanted to compare it to my 2010.

I was so shocked by his response that I just left. I wouldn't have wanted to take a test drive with that loser anyways.

I just sent the dealership this email:

So my father and I went to your dealership to test drive a new civic. Among our family we have a 95, 02, 03, 10 and 2011 civic plus a 2005 accord. We were just curious how the new civic drove and as we have been planning on replacing some of the older civic's.

When we asked a salesman (we didn't get his name but he seemed like the guy in charge there. We were there today at about noon) if we could test drive a civic he asked if we were planning on buying today. When we said "no, not today" he said that he works 100% on commission and if we are not going to buy today he couldn't give a test drive. Totally baffled by his response we left the dealership.

Now I understand it is a Saturday but there were only a few people there, and most of them were there for service. While there were a group of 4-5 salesman just standing around talking to each other.

I have been going to Buerkle Honda for many years (15+) for parts and was totally blown away by how poorly this salesman treated us.

I just wanted to let you know that I will be looking elsewhere for my future purchases.

Thanks, Josh

I think the dealership should know they have a salesman working there who is treating customers like [censored].

I got the $50 gift card offer to drive the new Toyota Tundra when they first came out with the 5.7 V8. I went to the dealership all excited to try one out and it was raining and the guy said its not a good day to take it out. I said they arent waterproof? He just grabbed the card and filled it out, signed it with the code and gave it back. I sent it in, but was mad, so I called Toyota and complained. They sent me another card voucher. I went back and this time he said it was too hard to get the truck out, it was in the back of the lot. So he filled it out again. I got $100 , but I wouldnt set foot in that dealership. I get offers and flyers from them, I just toss them in the trash.

I experienced the same thing years ago at a dealer selling another brand. The first thing the salesman asked me was if I was buying today. I replied no, I was just beginning to shop for a new car and still wanted to look at several other makes after I looked at his. I didn't even ask for a test drive, I was just looking at the inventory. The guy got indignant. He said words to the effect that I was wasting his time if I wasn't going to make a purchase that day. At that point my decision was easy. I left and never went back.

That salesloser sounds like a total douche-bag. You should immediately have a conversation with the dealership's general manager. He needs to find a new line of work.

The Honda dealer in my town is terrible, too. I went there with my mother to help her shop for a car. They were the most stereotypical shady dealers you've ever seen.

If you're considering a civic, but not buying right now, you might want to wait for the next generation model. It comes out in just about a year, I think.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
The Honda dealer in my town is terrible, too. I went there with my mother to help her shop for a car. They were the most stereotypical shady dealers you've ever seen.

If you're considering a civic, but not buying right now, you might want to wait for the next generation model. It comes out in just about a year, I think.

Not going to buy a new civic. Just got my 2010 a few months ago with only 35k on it. It is flawless!
smile.gif

But yeah, buying a new civic right now would be dumb.

Something similar happened to me at one point while car shopping. For me, the sales person was extremely nice, and more than willing to take me on the test drive. Someone else, who I assume was the sales manager, was not so nice and accommodating.

This person came over with the sales person, and basically asked me if I liked the car, would I buy it today. I refused to give an answer, and basically said I don't know, I can't make any promises. They said that they could not let me go on a test drive then. They forever lost my business, and anyone looking to buy that brand of car, I tell to go elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: 2010Civic

I just sent the dealership this email:

I think the dealership should know they have a salesman working there who is treating customers like [censored].

Josh, you should call the dealer and ask to speak directly to the general manager, and explain verbally. The e mail will likely get trashed.

I'd be on the phone with the sales manager and then on the phone with the owner of the dealership. That is not how you treat customers and definitely not how you sell cars. That commission sales idiot needs to find a new job, say flipping burgers. What a complete jack wagon.

Good on you for walking out. Dealerships are a dime a dozen so no need to put up with their B.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back