Dealer won't allow road test of used car

Yeah, Ive sold non inspected cars when I did used sales, and its very frowned upon. but thats where you go for someone wanting super cheap.

The inspection process, aides keeping the dealer out of hot water, when the car only makes it 24 hours off the lot.

those cars also sold (as is) as PARTS , no warranty.
One of the things that makes it even funnier was that unless it was completely uncontrollable at highway speeds I was prepared to write him a check for it today. Based on the looks of other clientele and all the “no credit, no problem” signs it will be a long time before someone else with enough cash to buy it without financing walks onto the lot. I think I might have gotten a test drive if I had offered to pay with bags of meth.

Let's say the dealer took it as a trade in, allowed a small amount for the trade, and it isn't worth them getting it fixed for inspection if they can unload it at the next auction. No thank you.
A professional already looked under this car and decided it wasn't worth it, at their wholesale prices, to fix up to get roadworthy. This is worse than just looking at some clunker on craigslist that needs $200 worth of work. If the car was worth anything at all they'd have fixed it up and let you test drive it.

In Maine a dealer can sell a car as-is but under similar rules: No dealer plate, no temp plate, no test drives, and if you buy it you have to say you're going to tow it off for repairs. I did this once, bought a $350 saturn with full disclosure and a list of what it needed for a sticker. Accurate list!

Haven't had that happen. However, I'd never buy a car from a BHPH lot in the first place.

No, but I've been to a used car dealer who blocked me in so I couldn't leave (waited till I wasn't looking) and not only did not have prices on the vehicles, also wouldn't even TELL me the cash price. "We don't do that." ??? Needless to say, I left and won't go back.

Earlier in the year I looked at some real roach coaches. So bad I didn't even want to drive them. The sellers were general repair garages, small used car lots and private sales. All offered for me to take it for a drive. These vehicles all were great by description and pics. I feel your pain.

I view BHPH as no better or worse than buying from a private individual. I got my '11 SuperDuty at one and it's been a fantastic vehicle for 6 years and counting.

That said, I would absolutely insist on a test drive. And they should allow for me to take for a PPI -- which would actually be my 2-post, but they don't necessarily need to know that.

Probably comes with a 50:50 warranty too: 50 seconds, 50 feet.

That was they joke on the Rust Valley TV series (though those guys were actually making some very good stuff).
I know those rust valley hillbillies. They are just down the road and over the hill.
The short fat guy isn’t as poor as he looks. He owns a marina on Shuswap lake.

My 2007 Acura MDX with severe body rust (hole in floor) and not passable was sold in this manner by the Ford dealer who took in trade for $2000. As is and not drivable off lot.

It honestly was not safe. I noticed every person who berated dealer in reviews bought a car like this.

Have you ever been told by a car dealer you couldn't take a car you were interesting in buying on a test drive?
One time. On a 2016 Subaru WRX Limited. This young buck said I could test drive it only if I were going to buy it. :ROFLMAO:

I said go and get the plate (we only have one in PA). It's not even an STi.

Never considered a Subaru again, just doesn't rub me the right way.

VW was the opposite. Don't remember what year, but Passat 6-man diesel. We went 47 miles RT. Salesman was super into the diesels....

I know private sellers are exempt from our scrutiny, but this one took the cake....

An older guy was selling his Nissan pick-up.
It was in his driveway not too far up the road from my childhood paper route.
"Let's go around the block" was answered with, "Oh no no no. I won't let anyone drive it."
I said it'd be a lot harder to sell if a buyer can't drive it.
He said somebody would.

I had to ask him if he was kidding and he reassured me he wasn't.
I matched his politeness and just left.....scratching my head the whole time.
The geezer was so straight and hokey it didn't anger me. It did puzzle the carp out of me.

All I can tell you was that after 2 months, the truck was gone.

I know private sellers are exempt from our scrutiny, but this one took the cake....

An older guy was selling his Nissan pick-up.
It was in his driveway not too far up the road from my childhood paper route.
"Let's go around the block" was answered with, "Oh no no no. I won't let anyone drive it."
I said it'd be a lot harder to sell if a buyer can't drive it.
He said somebody would.

I had to ask him if he was kidding and he reassured me he wasn't.
I matched his politeness and just left.....scratching my head the whole time.
The geezer was so straight and hokey it didn't anger me. It did puzzle the carp out of me.

All I can tell you was that after 2 months, the truck was gone.
Contrast it to when I was a kid. I went to look at a Porsche 928S4 in West Hartford, CT. As I pulled up, a gentleman greeted me. Showed me the 928. I said what's that music I hear, and he said it was the exchange student from China who lives in the guests' quarters.

He said go ahead and take it for a drive, and come back and we'll talk. So off I went by myself.

Always test drive. I guess that means you couldn't get it inspected either
I dunno, I've noticed some wholesale lots popping up, and I suspect their deal is, we don't bother, we just flip. They know some percentage won't pass, but they don't want to have a mechanic on staff (my guess). Seems like an odd business model but maybe it existed before but didn't advertise much, instead flipping mostly to BHPH lots--and their model is to open up and cut that out middle man. :)

I don't want to deal with something I can't test drive. Several years ago I was somewhat tempted by a 4Runner, it had some red flags but eh. Took for a good spin, was fine, got out and did my detailed inspection, by the time I got back in, it was overheating. Started pinging on the drive back... was starting to wonder... but it quickly cooled off. Dropped off, said I was interested as it had a cooling problem--guy knocked some money off and said as-is. Said I'd think about it (translation: same as when my wife says "maybe").

Back