dealers license plate frame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by NothingNew
[Linked Image]

https://www.richardsonlawoffices.co...s-can-get-you-a-ticket-in-new-jersey.cfm

Thanks for the link!! and posting the picture. While technically not legal cop was an idiot for writing this ticket as literally hundreds of cars with these plates

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kira
The following is not meant to offend. It comes from my real life experiences (plural)

Did the officer appear to be one of those retarded looking, excessively youthful, possibly dim cops?

Stupid little towns seem to have very "local hiring practices" when it comes to hiring new cops.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for law enforcement. but any subset of society can exhibit greed and nepotism.

Our stupid little town pushed through a bond election for a very expensive and three times the size new station - now they realize the overhead for the nice station is much higher and are not able to give the LEO's raises --- and some are quitting so they are looking for more money to give them raises ... How do you think this will go ?

I wish my police were out on the job. We have consistent light runners, cars being driven with busted windshields, no brake lights etc. Be thankful for the police out and doing something. JMO. Ed

Originally Posted by Kira
The following is not meant to offend. It comes from my real life experiences (plural)

Did the officer appear to be one of those retarded looking, excessively youthful, possibly dim cops?

Stupid little towns seem to have very "local hiring practices" when it comes to hiring new cops.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for law enforcement. but any subset of society can exhibit greed and nepotism.

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I too have been pulled over in small towns by cops who look like they are probably married to their sister,who's parents are probably brother and sister,have no teeth,and have weird shaped heads. Yep,the good ol small town gene pool.

I'm guessing she was either victimized because he saw "she wasn't from around these parts" or she just got caught up in the typical revenue machine.

The Phoenix police had a wild hair a few years ago and were giving tickets for dealer frames that covered the yearly registration sticker that sits in the corner of the plate. Made the news. After a while I guess they forgot about it.

As a matter of principal the first 2 things I do when I bring a car home are toss the dealer frame and remove the dealer sticker from the trunk lid/tailgate etc. Never had an offer for compensation for advertising from a dealer.

Originally Posted by Eddie
I wish my police were out on the job. We have consistent light runners, cars being driven with busted windshields, no brake lights etc. Be thankful for the police out and doing something. JMO. Ed

I really wish more police around me were looking out for red light runners instead of people speeding on long straightaways.
Either one can be dangerous, but I think blowing red lights is typically going to result in far more accidents and fatalities per occurrence.
I understand that it is far more difficult and possibly dangerous to pull somebody over near an intersection, but I still think a change in priority would be worth it overall.

My wife almost got hit bad by a red light runner when she was pregnant with our daughter...the light had been green long enough that she was overlapping with the oncoming traffic when the guy ran the light and she locked them up, the loser just threaded between them at high speed and kept going. Probably half a mile from a police station...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AZjeff
The Phoenix police had a wild hair a few years ago and were giving tickets for dealer frames that covered the yearly registration sticker that sits in the corner of the plate. Made the news. After a while I guess they forgot about it.
As a matter of principal the first 2 things I do when I bring a car home are toss the dealer frame and remove the dealer sticker from the trunk lid/tailgate etc. Never had an offer for compensation for advertising from a dealer.

I have had dealers install their frames when my plates didn't have frames AND when I had frames from other dealers that were then just tossed. I remember one time in particular having very unobtrusive frames replaces by gaudy ones that covered a lot of the plates.
Would have been awesome to get a ticket for a frame that I didn't want and may not have even noticed was there!
Also ticks me off when I take my skis in to be tuned or whatever and the shop slaps stickers that are almost impossible to remove on both of them. Sometimes this is in between the two pieces of an old school drilled binding and is only visible when the boots aren't in, I guess they figure they still get advertising when the skis are sitting in a rack...I've been tempted to black them out with a marker, but that looks even worse than the stickers.

Last edited:
There are laws on the books to the effect that nothing should block any portion of the license plate so that it can be easily read in its entirety by LEOs.

Dealer license plate frames often cover some of the words at the bottom of the plate, and thus are technically a violation.

Wow, sad. At worst, could easily have given her a warning and told her to remove it asap. That includes the probable cause stop excuse, which it likely was. I have very similar plates currently on my vehicles. I think I would have to fight this, even if just going to court to show the pic you posted here. Agree with comment, quota time. smh on this one.

And, I would stop by the selling dealer just to let them know this is happening.

Cop was looking for a reason to pull her over, and she didn't have a tail light out. So, it was the license plate frame.

It's minor and probably should have just been a warning. I'm glad those types of LEOs aren't that bad around here. Many more important things to be doing. Just weird that that was the reason for the stop....

I personally refuse to advertise for a business that way, but that's just me.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
I would show up in traffic court with a picture of the front and back and ask the judge if he could kindly explain what was wrong. As long as it's not covering up the important parts of the plate I'll bet he throws it out. They're banking on you just paying the fine.

I would get photos of ALL the Officers 'personal' cars in the parking lot (Judge included) who have these illegal plate holders.

[/quote]

Our stupid little town pushed through a bond election for a very expensive and three times the size new station - now they realize the overhead for the nice station is much higher and are not able to give the LEO's raises --- and some are quitting so they are looking for more money to give them raises ... How do you think this will go ?
[/quote]

Same here. One bulb burns out and they pull you over. They are fishing. And making people late for work.

My daughter was pulled over several times in her college town three hours away over the tint on the windows of my Civic. I know the guy that owns the tint shop and we made sure the car was legal and even factored in the slight tint that came from the factory. With it being a white car and the way the windows slope it does look darker than it is but she still got pulled over 4 times during the first semester she had the car up there, even twice by same officer. lol. So i guess being a small town i guess it's good that LEO has nothing better to do.

Did she receive a ticket?

I'd bet she was pulled over for something else... and they dropped it to the plate infraction. The fine can't be that much, pay and remove the frame.

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
That lesson, of course, is to stay out of NJ if possible, and remove the plate frames if it's not possible to stay out.....

Stay out of Connecticut as well. We've had a similar law on the books for many years....though I've never heard of anyone I know getting a real ticket for it.

And just because there are thousands of plates out there in your area just like this one, doesn't mean you have a case. I received a speeding ticket once on Connecticut Rt 9 where 99% of traffic does 60-85 mph all day long. It's actually unsafe to drive the posted speed limit of 50 mph in this section of Route 9. Yet I got a ticket doing 62 mph for what 99% of the people do all the time. And I've never seen an LEO on that highway ever doing less than 65 mph.....not once in 20 yrs....lost LEO's do 65-75. The week after I received the ticket I decided to drive the 50 speed limit in that 2-3 mile stretch for all 5 days of my commute. I was run over numerous times and didn't find a single person out of hundreds of cars doing the legal limit.....not one other.....just me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back