Is there an official policy of posting vehicle images with license plates visible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... I am presently a valet, and sometimes I snap pictures of the cooler or specific cars I park. Personal info redacted if there is any. But even outside of that context. I have always believed that a license plate number, or word or letters/numbers licence plate or plates or whatever.. by itself.. can only yield personal information If you were a LEO or police officer in your car running plates or having stopped someone. I have never heard someone put together how you could otherwise take a plate and get personal information out of it, outside of law enforcement or some kind of other investigative license, with purpose.

It is with this frame in mind, I'm asking.. I take the time to scribble out plates of vehicles. Should I continue to do so?

Thank you

These plates are the epitome of public information for anyone and everyone to see. I think the only (potential) issue would be posting a picture of a plate that linked that vehicle to something illegal or embarrassing but even that is a stretch.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I've never understood the paranoia with posting a pic of a car with the plate showing. Anyone could drive by your car in a parking lot and see the plate there.

These plates are the epitome of public information for anyone and everyone to see. I think the only (potential) issue would be posting a picture of a plate that linked that vehicle to something illegal or embarrassing.

I pretty much agree with both of you.

I thought I'd ask the actual question because I thought I recalled reading @wwilson (whom I would best advise to do what he says, obviously) state that it wasn't something he liked.. I asked so we could get clarification.

Don't want to do anything wrong here. I'm doing kind of good.

@atikovi I do the same, I just don't post it on here...

@Davejam and good old @mk378 oh my my my. In other times, you'd have told me it is not private because anyone (i.e. the public) can get in. And you have.. I love it. lol. No consistency!

Post #1:

Personal info redacted if there is any.

🤔

Last edited:
So... I am presently a valet, and sometimes I snap pictures of the cooler or specific cars I park. Personal info redacted if there is any. But even outside of that context. I have always believed that a license plate number, or word or letters/numbers licence plate or plates or whatever.. by itself.. can only yield personal information If you were a LEO or police officer in your car running plates or having stopped someone. I have never heard someone put together how you could otherwise take a plate and get personal information out of it, outside of law enforcement or some kind of other investigative license, with purpose.

It is with this frame in mind, I'm asking.. I take the time to scribble out plates of vehicles. Should I continue to do so?

Thank you
LexisNexis will provide MVR information if the state makes it available to the service. I use it.

People that blank out their licence plates on pictures they post have a tin foil hat mentality. When they do it on pictures of random cars on the street, they take it up a notch to the OCD level.
I totally agree. Think about when Covid started. My office abrubtly closed 3/16/20. Mass hysteria and confusion. Even the co. was worried we'd go out of business as our clients abruptly shut down as well.

I can't even remember when we went back, I think 2021? So I was home but had to leave to pay the county and township taxes due 3/31 and 4/1. I recall being at the drive thru at TD Bank, and the guy in front of me in a Volvo wagon had those nitrile gloves on as he handled the canister. I think blurring license plates is like putting on nitrile gloves. I mean I do it when changing oil, but that's about it. There is little if any benefit. There is actually one guy at work who still puts them on while he handles his computer and mouse at his desk. People bust on him but he says I don't care I'm not getting covid and I'll wear gloves (is he really preventing it, I don't think so).

Blanking out something that is openly visible in public is akin to wearing a mask alone in a car, or walking down an empty street. It's nuts. It's only because of someone else may have done it, or fear...........or really ignorance.
Just WOW 😲
Sort of like people that won't answer a DM here because they know you will hack them and steal their identity and Chinese food...
Can you imagine their paranoia over a license plate???

Last edited:
Just WOW 😲
Sort of like people that won't answer a DM here because they know you will hack them and steal their identity and Chinese food...
Can you imagine their paranomia over a license plate???
hahahahahaha

On another forum, people said they would never subscribe to XM because if you give them credit card or checking info, you will never be able to cancel it. I've canceled it so many times over the years after taking trials and always used a CC.

Now seriously, I do believe it's possible for legit cos to get hacked and lose customer's info, but I still don't think it means we have to live in a bunker and hope we don't hear anything go bump in the night :LOL:

I have posted my license plates many times on forums. It's the same plate as when I am driving the vehicle. No worries.
When I pay extra for personalized plates, I'm happy to show them off.

044.jpg

ELAN license plate.JPG

I totally agree. Think about when Covid started. My office abrubtly closed 3/16/20. Mass hysteria and confusion. Even the co. was worried we'd go out of business as our clients abruptly shut down as well.

I can't even remember when we went back, I think 2021? So I was home but had to leave to pay the county and township taxes due 3/31 and 4/1. I recall being at the drive thru at TD Bank, and the guy in front of me in a Volvo wagon had those nitrile gloves on as he handled the canister. I think blurring license plates is like putting on nitrile gloves. I mean I do it when changing oil, but that's about it. There is little if any benefit. There is actually one guy at work who still puts them on while he handles his computer and mouse at his desk. People bust on him but he says I don't care I'm not getting covid and I'll wear gloves (is he really preventing it, I don't think so).
My wife was constantly annoyed by that at the stores being a nurse and know full well the general public is #1 stupid & #2 more stupid to believe the internet. They have no concept of a sterile environment.

Older people were the worst using food service gloves, cashiers wearing gloves but not changing them after every customer. Basically using your gloves to transport germs all over town from place to place. Then just throwing them on the ground as you leave the store.

A sanitizing wipe is more than sufficient for any computer and even less so if you are the only one who touches it. I may wipe down my mouse & keyboard at work maybe once a month if that. I am the only one who uses it so.

So yes the license plate paranoia is just amusing at best.

Last edited:
The only issue I see you are doing this on private property as a paid employee.
So, yes I would scribble the license plate.

If you're just walking on the street and snap a picture in public place that is different.

I have posted my license plates many times on forums. It's the same plate as when I am driving the vehicle. No worries.
My coworkers and I have an ongoing joke in chat, because I snap photos of license plates if they are interesting....i.e. some clever personalized phrase, esp if related to music. I just applied for one so I guess I myself have lightened up in middle age.

One time I snapped a pic of a FoP plate and a woman gets out of her car and starts yelling at me! :ROFLMAO:

Man for her own safety that was pretty dangerous. Normally I woulda antagonized her but I truly didn't. She put herself in physical danger by getting out of her car, as the intersection is really busy.

The only issue I see you are doing this on private property as a paid employee.
Yes, as a valet you have some obligation to the customers' privacy. This goes beyond blacking out the license plates to not taking pictures at all, if the car is being parked in a place that is expected to be private. If the car is in a place where anyone can walk by and take pictures that means that you can as well.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I've never understood the paranoia with posting a pic of a car with the plate showing. Anyone could drive by your car in a parking lot and see the plate there.
In lots of cases that paranoia comes from collector car folks who have had their beloved machines stolen (me too - three of them) so they figure lets not let the criminals see what state exactly I am in. Still it is kinda silly because a criminal who sees your ad and wants to steal it can just call and pretend to be a potential buyer to learn where the car is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back