Would you ever wonder if your license plate has a zero, or the letter O?

I just received a vanity plate, and it dawned on me, the shape of the "O" is exactly the same as the letter zero (all 3 of our cars have a zero in their plates). It is very narrow and resembles an oval. I expected a letter O to be stockier and wider.

So I looked at these things to determine I do in fact have a letter "O."

1. The application said to put a slash through a zero, to indicate that you are requesting a zero. It stated this twice. I did not have a slash on my application.
2. I know that in PA, the letters are shorter than the numbers, so I measured the height of my "O" and it was 2 3/4". When I measured the zeros on the other plates, they are clearly taller.
3. I went to the personalized license plate lookup tool, and looked up my plate with the letter O. It said the plate was previously issued and not available. When I inserted a zero in place of the O, now it was available. Believe it or not, it is hard to determine on a physical registration, that was sent!

When I went for a bike ride, I must have scanned over 500 plates--I was hoping to see a plate in standard configuration that had a letter O, and a zero, to be able to see the contrast. Our standard plates have 3 letters, 4 numbers. Did not see a single plate that had the letter O in the letter prefixes.

If I were independently wealthy, I'd order a personalized plate, O0O0O0O -- I would be able to see this plate in my hand, and that would show the difference! :ROFLMAO:

IIRC, most States do not use the letters I, O, and Q.
Are you located in PA?
If so, this site can help…….
PA Plates
That is very fascinating and useful info. I was thinking the zero and O can be confusing, and misconstrued, especially in the event of say hit and run. But I suppose LE can try both? Yet at the same time, the idea would be to not be confusing at all. Thanks for the info!

I requested an "O" but got a zero, Didn't realize until I looked up my plate for car Insurance quote.

I’ve long assumed that whatever software is used to scan plates, or the database used when cops enter in a plate, “automatically” interpret 1’s and I’s as possible interchanges, 0’s and O’s likewise, and maybe even Q’s too. Think returning exact match, then returning similar matches.

I too have wondered about it, figured though that the DMV might be smarter than me, since they have to deal with it daily. ;) What I don’t get is why NH has other characters, hyphens and whatnot.

I generally worry about a zero or an O on my plate when I have exhausted all other things to worry about.

We use slashed zeros (0̷) in science and engineering.

Most license plates have standard formats where numbers and letters aren’t mixed.

In California, zeros aren’t allowed on vanity plates, so it’s not really an issue. There a lot of rules that require interpretation, such as if it looks like a Q was substituted in place of an O or zero. Also, the use of “69” is limited to where it’s clearly for a 1969 model year vehicle.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/handbook/vehicle-industry-registration-procedures-manual-2/special-plates/personalized-license-plate-applications/#:~:text=The%20number%20zero%20(0)%20cannot,be%20shown%20as%20“1.”​
21.185 Personalized License Plate Applications​
Chapter 21 Special License Plates​
Original License Plate Application—the following must be submitted: Before a license plate reservation can be processed, the applicant must complete a Special Interest License Plate Application (REG 17) form. The REG 17 must:​
Be completed in the same name as the reservation. The license plate owner and the vehicle owner of record must be the same. A license plate purchased as a gift must be keyed in the intended recipient’s name.​
Show the type of vehicle (auto, commercial, etc.) to which the license plates will be assigned.​
Show a field office or auto club location where the license plates will be exchanged, if the specific vehicle to which the license plates will be assigned is not known.​
The personalized configuration must be completed as required.​
The number zero (0) cannot be used; only the letter “O” is acceptable.​
The number one must be shown as “1.”​
The letter “I” must be shown “I.”​
The letter “I” cannot be substituted for the number “1” or vice versa.​
The letter “Q” cannot be substituted for the letter “O” or vice versa.​
An asterisk (*) must be used to show where a full space is desired.​
A slash (/) must be used to show where a half-space is desired.​
The meaning must be explained appropriately for the configuration.​
If the number “69” is used, the make and current license plate number or vehicle identification number (VIN) for a 1969 year model vehicle to which the license plates will be assigned must be part of the application (for verification purposes).​
The reserved choice on the REG 17 must be circled.​
The license plate configuration (spaces and characters) must be verified that it was keyed correctly.​
POW and Firefighter License Plate Requests—To ensure compliance with statutory requirements, there are additional processing requirements for:​
POW License Plate applications. Refer to the Former Prisoner of War (POW) License Plates section in this chapter for the additional processing requirements.​
Firefighter License Plate applications. Refer to the Firefighter License Plates section in this chapter for additional processing requirements.​
Special License Plates as Gifts (CVC §5110)—To reserve special license plates as a gift, the name of the intended recipient must be the registered owner of the vehicle to which the license plates will be asssigned and must be shown on the REG 17.​
Cancelling a Reservation—A special license plate reservation cannot be cancelled if the work has been transmitted to DMV Headquarters. To cancel a reservation in work still in the office, void the original reservation transaction, make the correct reservation, and attach the new DMV file copy to the REG 17.​
Unavailable Special License Plate Choices (CVC §5105)—When a personalized special license plate application is received in the mail or a dealer bundle and none of the applicant’s choices are available, return the original REG 17 form, a blank REG 17 (in case the applicant wants to try again), and the application fee to the applicant or dealer, as follows:​
Requests Submitted by a Dealer—A credit media or a refund on the bundle issued in the dealer’s name must be returned to the dealer. The dealer is responsible for contacting the customer and refunding the fee.​
Requests Submitted by an Individual—The applicant’s check or receipt must be returned with the REG 17. If only a portion of the fees are being returned or the fee was paid by other than a personal check, the fee must be converted to a receipt.​

In Florida, some of the specialized plates have pictures of turtles, or surfers or other such things in gray with black letters and numbers covering the gray. Reading the letters and numbers is not easy.

We use slashed zeros (0̷) in science and engineering.

Most license plates have standard formats where numbers and letters aren’t mixed.

In California, zeros aren’t allowed on vanity plates, so it’s not really an issue. There a lot of rules that require interpretation, such as if it looks like a Q was substituted in place of an O or zero. Also, the use of “69” is limited to where it’s clearly for a 1969 model year vehicle.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/handbook/vehicle-industry-registration-procedures-manual-2/special-plates/personalized-license-plate-applications/#:~:text=The%20number%20zero%20(0)%20cannot,be%20shown%20as%20“1.”​
Chapter 21 Special License Plates​
Original License Plate Application—the following must be submitted: Before a license plate reservation can be processed, the applicant must complete a Special Interest License Plate Application (REG 17) form. The REG 17 must:​
Be completed in the same name as the reservation. The license plate owner and the vehicle owner of record must be the same. A license plate purchased as a gift must be keyed in the intended recipient’s name.​
Show the type of vehicle (auto, commercial, etc.) to which the license plates will be assigned.​
Show a field office or auto club location where the license plates will be exchanged, if the specific vehicle to which the license plates will be assigned is not known.​
The personalized configuration must be completed as required.​
The number zero (0) cannot be used; only the letter “O” is acceptable.​
The number one must be shown as “1.”​
The letter “I” must be shown “I.”​
The letter “I” cannot be substituted for the number “1” or vice versa.​
The letter “Q” cannot be substituted for the letter “O” or vice versa.​
An asterisk (*) must be used to show where a full space is desired.​
A slash (/) must be used to show where a half-space is desired.​
The meaning must be explained appropriately for the configuration.​
If the number “69” is used, the make and current license plate number or vehicle identification number (VIN) for a 1969 year model vehicle to which the license plates will be assigned must be part of the application (for verification purposes).​
The reserved choice on the REG 17 must be circled.​
The license plate configuration (spaces and characters) must be verified that it was keyed correctly.​
POW and Firefighter License Plate Requests—To ensure compliance with statutory requirements, there are additional processing requirements for:​
POW License Plate applications. Refer to the Former Prisoner of War (POW) License Plates section in this chapter for the additional processing requirements.​
Firefighter License Plate applications. Refer to the Firefighter License Plates section in this chapter for additional processing requirements.​
Special License Plates as Gifts (CVC §5110)—To reserve special license plates as a gift, the name of the intended recipient must be the registered owner of the vehicle to which the license plates will be asssigned and must be shown on the REG 17.​
Cancelling a Reservation—A special license plate reservation cannot be cancelled if the work has been transmitted to DMV Headquarters. To cancel a reservation in work still in the office, void the original reservation transaction, make the correct reservation, and attach the new DMV file copy to the REG 17.​
Unavailable Special License Plate Choices (CVC §5105)—When a personalized special license plate application is received in the mail or a dealer bundle and none of the applicant’s choices are available, return the original REG 17 form, a blank REG 17 (in case the applicant wants to try again), and the application fee to the applicant or dealer, as follows:​
Requests Submitted by a Dealer—A credit media or a refund on the bundle issued in the dealer’s name must be returned to the dealer. The dealer is responsible for contacting the customer and refunding the fee.​
Requests Submitted by an Individual—The applicant’s check or receipt must be returned with the REG 17. If only a portion of the fees are being returned or the fee was paid by other than a personal check, the fee must be converted to a receipt.​
Never used a slashed zero in university. A slashed 7 and Z I have used, because sometimes my 7's look like 1's, and my Z's look like 2. That has cost me dearly in exams.

But the CA Q's on the license plate look funny from a distance. And this one as a "0" in addition to Q

80-q2_b9bff8144b5a4a7522028537d7c898f1bf2353ea.jpg

In WV we use an O for October. The first number/letter is the month issued and the first day of that month is the day it expires. 1-9 O N D covers the months of the year. I can’t recall ever seeing a zero on any plates I’ve seen.

Never used a slashed zero in university. A slashed 7 and Z I have used, because sometimes my 7's look like 1's, and my Z's look like 2. That has cost me dearly in exams.

But the CA Q's on the license plate look funny from a distance. And this one as a "0" in addition to Q

80-q2_b9bff8144b5a4a7522028537d7c898f1bf2353ea.jpg

The oval is a little bit smaller than an O though. But the zero is the same as the letter O other than relative position in a standard or commercial license plate.

In Virginia 0 and O are the same thing it’s always a 0. There is no difference for O. They also don’t use Q either but you can get the Q on a vanity plate if you wanted they also used Q on some of the Dont Tread On Me plates. I is also rarely used but it does get used. I’ve only had two sets of plates issued to me or my family with a 0 on it and it looks the same as if it would have meant to be an O.

Back