dealers license plate frame

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess there could be multiple reasons why she might have been pulled over that don't involve the frame...but I know here there have been incidents of thicker plastic frames obscuring letters ( an E becomes an F to license plate readers at pre-pay account sites like bridges or HOV lanes with overhead readers where they either charge for use or watch for violators. I can understand it in that context but otherwise it sounds like bull.

"Under New Jersey law, more specifically, N.J.S.A. 39:3-33, a motorist cannot "display unclear or indistinct license plates."

There's nothing "unclear or indistinct" about the frame in the posted picture unless on her actual car the frame does cover up part of the letters or stickers.

If you wind up paying it, or fighting it and losing, maybe ask/sue the dealership to pay for it since they are putting parts on your daughter's car that are for off-road use only and not street legal.

Originally Posted by CincyDavid
I don't run front plates on my cars even though I should in OH...never a peep from the boys in blue.

Not much police presence in Cincinnati unless you're in the bad areas or downtown. Even then they're focused on other things like drugs, shootings, overdoses, homicides, etc. Hardly ever see them in the western burbs. Around some of the Cleveland burbs they will give you problems for many different things. Another one is having a rear license plate light out. Which happened to my friend.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Originally Posted by NothingNew
[Linked Image]

https://www.richardsonlawoffices.co...s-can-get-you-a-ticket-in-new-jersey.cfm

I'm thinking he pulled her over for the dealer PLATE, not the dealer FRAME. I don't see a tag of any kind displayed.....

edit - unless that's the temporary in the upper left of the rear glass...

that's not the vehicle in question, just an example of the frame, the Op provided a link to a car on that dealer's lot, and someone else kindly directly linked one of those photos.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
I don't run front plates on my cars even though I should in OH...never a peep from the boys in blue.

Not much police presence in Cincinnati unless you're in the bad areas or downtown. Even then they're focused on other things like drugs, shootings, overdoses, homicides, etc. Hardly ever see them in the western burbs. Around some of the Cleveland burbs they will give you problems for many different things. Another one is having a rear license plate light out. Which happened to my friend.

Which is why I check ALL my exterior lights every 3 Months.
I use to check once a year before the state Inspection / Not Good Enough Any More.
I try and not do anything to give L.E. a reason to pull me over.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted by AZjeff
The Phoenix police had a wild hair a few years ago and were giving tickets for dealer frames that covered the yearly registration sticker that sits in the corner of the plate. Made the news. After a while I guess they forgot about it.
As a matter of principal the first 2 things I do when I bring a car home are toss the dealer frame and remove the dealer sticker from the trunk lid/tailgate etc. Never had an offer for compensation for advertising from a dealer.

I have had dealers install their frames when my plates didn't have frames AND when I had frames from other dealers that were then just tossed. I remember one time in particular having very unobtrusive frames replaces by gaudy ones that covered a lot of the plates.
Would have been awesome to get a ticket for a frame that I didn't want and may not have even noticed was there!
Also ticks me off when I take my skis in to be tuned or whatever and the shop slaps stickers that are almost impossible to remove on both of them. Sometimes this is in between the two pieces of an old school drilled binding and is only visible when the boots aren't in, I guess they figure they still get advertising when the skis are sitting in a rack...I've been tempted to black them out with a marker, but that looks even worse than the stickers.

I would blow a gasket for that. I would DEMAND they either remove the stickers, or replace the skis they vandalized.

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
Originally Posted by SatinSilver

Which is why I check ALL my exterior lights every 3 Months.
I use to check once a year before the state Inspection / Not Good Enough Any More.
I try and not do anything to give L.E. a reason to pull me over.

Of course, you do not ACTUALLY need a light out to be pulled over for it. If they want to go fishing, they can and do just make something up.

In New Jersey no writing on the plate can be blocked. Not even the Garden State at the bottom of the plate. But the dealer frame that was posted wouldn't have blocked that. My guess is that the temp tag may not be on the car. NJ now has a temp tag that goes where the regular plate goes. Not sure putting it in the rear window is legal any longer. OP would have to provide more info. Oh and by the way I have a front and rear plate frame. And yes the frames do cover the Garden State on the plates. Haven't had an issue with it

Don

The Phoenix police had a wild hair a few years ago and were giving tickets for dealer frames that covered the yearly registration sticker that sits in the corner of the plate. Made the news. After a while I guess they forgot about it.

As a matter of principal the first 2 things I do when I bring a car home are toss the dealer frame and remove the dealer sticker from the trunk lid/tailgate etc. Never had an offer for compensation for advertising from a dealer.

Exactly what I do. Go home from the dealer and off goes the plate frames and dealer sticker.

I have seen plate frames that cover so much of the plate that the state of issue can not be seen. Cops can't expect to "know" the state by design these days with Texas having 126 or so optional plate designs.

Here in poor New Mexico we have a dozen or more designs of plates. If I ever had a frame (never did!) that covered plate info?...I would expect to be stopped.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by earlyre

that's not the vehicle in question, just an example of the frame, the Op provided a link to a car on that dealer's lot, and someone else kindly directly linked one of those photos.

Whups thanks....

I respect law enforcement when they are doing their job. Had a town cop give me a ticket for doing 25 in a 26mph zone....really?

Yes she got a ticket for $50. The reason why she was pulled over was for the frame not any other reason I have no reason to believe otherwise (Honors Student getting Masters Degree who has confided worse things than getting pulled over by some Barney Fife ) Probably wrong thing to say but I am a little [censored]. I think he saw a fairly new car and targeted it since he figured she had the $$ and wanted to write a ticket. Car in picture is not hers it was just to show the frame. I will pay the ticket and told her to have someone take the frame off. Otherwise next time I visit I will.

Originally Posted by raaizin
I think he saw a fairly new car and targeted it since he figured she had the $$ and wanted to write a ticket.

Absolutely! They have to write tickets to keep Deliveranceville city hall open.

More dumb things from the northeast, glad I got out of there when I could.

The little dumb things in NY annoyed me to no end. Tint laws, low speed limits, it went on and on.

I've been left alone by law enforcement in TX for the most part.

That's awesome. Never thought you'd get away with that.

Well, to add balance, I don't have plate surrounds on the read plates, but I do run plastic covers on the front plates of cars that I have plates on. Some of my cars I don't run front plates. Incriminating to post that on the net, I know. Knock on wood, Ive never had any issue...

OP, Ive generally found the following about traffic court: the average attendee is a slob, wearing sweatpants or similar junky looking clothes, can't talk straight, and doesn't have their act together. The judge wants to deal with people who show back up and still don't have insurance or have bigger rocks. If you go back with either a picture as was described, or else the frame in hand and a picture of it removed (depending upon how much of a statement you do/don't want to make and what kind of a story you wish to tell), there's a good chance they will be lenient.

Originally Posted by ammolab
I have seen plate frames that cover so much of the plate that the state of issue can not be seen. Cops can't expect to "know" the state by design these days with Texas having 126 or so optional plate designs.

Here in poor New Mexico we have a dozen or more designs of plates. If I ever had a frame (never did!) that covered plate info?...I would expect to be stopped.

Yes … couple years back I went to an installer when my plate style aftermarket camera went bad. He points across and said that guy will get you because you partially covered the state. (Radar cop was tucked behind an old building).
Worked out he put on a little cube style camera that was far better and that's when I learned you will be ticketed …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back