Dealership license plate frames

In my area, nearly all of those frames containing the dealership name block some portion of the plate. In my state, the police can ticket you if the numbers, state name, state motto and date sticker are not clearly visible. I imagine this is the case in other states as well.

I'm surprised dealers continue to install these illegal frames. Is it so difficult to switch over to a slim frame? Even if it costs like $5 more, it's no skin off the dealer's back. They'll just bake it into the car price unbeknownst to the customer.

The better thing would be to not install a ***** dealer tramp stamp frame all together.

Last edited:
In my area, nearly all of those frames containing the dealership name block some portion of the plate. In my state, the police can ticket you if the numbers, state name, state motto and date sticker are not clearly visible. I imagine this is the case in other states as well.

I'm surprised dealers continue to install these illegal frames. Is it so difficult to switch over to a slim frame? Even if it costs like $5 more, it's no skin off the dealer's back. They'll just bake it into the car price unbeknownst to the customer.

The better thing would be for them to not install a dealer tramp stamp frame all together.
It's better than some of the obnoxious emblems they attach to your vehicle to advertise their dealership name. I mean, unless it comes with a discount :)

For me, it all depends on how much of a issue the frame might be with law enforcement.. and the experience with the dealership, and the deal itself.

Last two sets have actually stayed on the vehicles. I must be getting soft as I get older.

Where I live people do all sorts of things to their license plates with total disregard. Like completely covering them or modifying them. Cops don't seem to care. Most people don't even have a front plate which according to the law they should have.

A dealerships goal is to save as much money as possible and sell you as much as possible. When you drive that car off the lot they don't give a **** what happens to you so why would they pay more for a new license plate frame design?

I always swap them out with something cool, for example my truck has a USA flag frame.

NJ is supposed to have a law that stops the police from stopping you if the plate is partially covered but still readable.

I remove any stickers or frames that make it past my salesman and then when I get home I pull some if not all of the gaudy labels that the OEM puts on it.

I always told my sons to make sure their vehicles were squared away with all lights working, no need to stand out.

Back