How Cool is your state (motor vehicle law)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please try and keep the formatting. Scale of 1-10 (with 11 being "too cool- please crack down")

Maine:
Driver's licensing, ease of getting: 9
Learners permitting/drivers ed/graduated driving: 7

Vehicle registration, ease: 9
Registration fees & recurring taxes: 4
Vehicle sale fees & taxes 6
Title dept 5
DMV attitude 10

Vehicle inspections 7
Vehicle equipment 3
Insurance 11

-----

Driver's licensing, ease of getting: 9

I transplanted here with an out of state license and they just rubber stamped it. My motorcycle endorsement was handled by a 16 hour course of my choosing; didn't have to do a road test with DMV. I think my eye doctor reported my good vision as I didn't have to take the eye test at DMV.

Learners permitting/drivers ed/graduated driving: 7

Kids have to log time with their parents. New licensees can't have other teenagers in the car, and I think they're banned from cell phones as well. Pleasantly uncool. Can take drivers ed at 15 something and get licensed at 16 plus however long it takes to get a road test. Cool.
thumbsup2.gif

Vehicle registration, ease: 8

Can renew online. Local town halls have a "municipal agent" thing with one stop shopping. Surcharge of $3-4 is worth not going to a DMV main branch. Can get temporary plates for single trips. Would give a 10 but would rather have 2 year registrations-- stuck with renewing every year. Demerit point for needing a front plate.

Registration fees & recurring taxes: 4

Excise tax is based on MSRP, which with my GM products is $1000s above transaction price. After five years the depreciation stops, so a 15 year old clunker pays the same tax as a 5 year old car.

Vehicle sale fees & taxes 6

Luckily we have only a 5% sales tax. State still takes one's word on what they paid, eg no blue book value override. No notary, no "amount paid" section on title. Dealers are allowed to charge hundreds of dollars to prepare paperwork.

Title dept 5

Titles are modestly expensive at $33 and take six weeks to arrive. (I talked to a guy from Florida who claimed to have paid $2.50 and got it instantly-- an e-title?) However, 1994 and previous model years don't need them, making my state one of a couple used for generating paperwork to legalize "barn finds". One only needs insurance and a bill of sale with seller's name and address. A Maine registration can then be converted into an out of state title.

DMV attitude 10

They give it to the right people who are always in line in front of me.
lol.gif
Guy wanted a drivers license but was permanently camping in the woods. Clerk wanted proof of residency and would probably have accepted a letter from the landowner saying this bum was with him.

I get in and out quickly by actually knowing the expectations ahead of time, knowing the right questions, and answers. Lines are usually 15 minutes or less.

Vehicle inspections 5

We have them, but only the most populous county needs emissions tests, a simple OBDII scan. Quality varies wildly depending on where you go. Price limited to $12.50-18.50, not enough for an honest mechanic. Good for only a year, but transferrable, and lacking a sticker doesn't hamper your registration. Antique vehicles are exempt, leading to some clunker unrestored 25 year old "survivors" clattering around. No centralized database so if you flunk somewhere you can go somewhere else and they won't have prejudice.

Vehicle equipment 3

Can't lift more than 2 inches of frame, 2 inches of body. Can't disconnect your shocks for air ride hopping fun. Can't put loud mufflers on your harley. Can't have more than two fog lights. Can't run your stereo so loud windows rattle (actually written into law this way!!!) Can run a homemade motorized bicycle without any lights, plate or insurance.

Insurance 11

For a brief period of time if your insurance lapsed the state would hear about it and give you a month to fix it or they'd suspend your plates. They quietly undid it. The only check is to flash a card at annual registration renewal, or enter your info online when renewing online. At least it's cheap as we're a rural state without much of a rush hour.

Well, in Iowa the paperwork and DMV aren't too bad, but judging by the fact that most people here can't even turn a corner and hit the lane they were aiming for, it's TOO easy to get a license.

Originally Posted By: Radman
In Michigan it is quite simply a business. The Secretary of State takes your money and gives you paper documents in return.

and as any good business, offers quite a variety of plate designs at extra cost. I would think it should drive the police nuts that the plates are not all the same color.

Also in Michigan they won't take Visa or Mastercard in person, but will by mail.

Vehicle sales fees and taxes (11?) No sales tax but excise tax here. Also Moronic OBDii scan for emissions (45 dollar inspection fee!) but then I see clunkers spewing *&%#$ everywhere - where did they get inspected?! Eljeff: Why would you rate Equipment a 3? sounds reasonable - unles you are dying to lift your truck skywards. Jacked trucks are a safety hazard, just like the common morons who think its cool to drive a pickup with the tailgate down (no load) or the trailer ball and hitch on. I always close the tailgate for them if I see them in the parking lot. Waiting to be accosted ... ....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Eljeff: Why would you rate Equipment a 3? sounds reasonable - unles you are dying to lift your truck skywards. Jacked trucks are a safety hazard

Yeah I hate them too but it seems like any deviation from stock is a legal issue. I don't mind, but I have to acknowledge that the law, and by extension myself, aren't "cool" like they are in other parts of the country. Also moderately tinted windows are a no-no, unless you brought the car up from Florida where it was legally tinted.

Most kids here keep their cars stock except for DOT approved altezza tail lights and the occasional illegal projector headlight mod. Since there's no competition, or since our kids are smart enough to go back to stock after being hassled by the cops, there aren't many morons trying to replicate Vin Diesel movie cars on the streets. Again, okay with me.
thumbsup2.gif

In Michigan I registered my classic car with an same-year plate for a one-time fee of $35. This is valid for as long as I own my car. I'm going on ten years with this registration.

When you buy a used car, the State "trusts" you to declare how much you paid for it for sales tax purposes.

Only $11 to transfer title between family members.

Oh, and no tailpipe emissions for any vehicle, any year!

I'd say Michigan is a very friendly state toward vehicle owners.

In Florida I can drive whatever the [censored] I want with my dealer plate, I have even put it on skylines and a lada :p . You can drive with straight pipes and no airbags if you want.. Who cares, I like Florida
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I love that FL doesn't have any smog testing.

Yeah, I've got to say the same for my area of Ohio. Particularly since the end of the E-Check program here.

The ignorant "donkey" that broke my '99 Eurovan's OE locking gas cap, because he felt it necessary to force it into a test fixture after I'd already told him that they didn't have one that worked with it, really sealed it for me. Of course he didn't mention that he'd tried it, or had broken the cap in the process. He just put it back in place and I didn't discover what he'd done until later, after it was too late to do anything about it.

Lousy son-of-a-bi...

Nevada is great - no safety inspection and you can do pretty much any mod to your vehicle and never have an issue.

The DMV is a nightmare. You have to go there to register a new vehicle purchase, and it is an all day affair. They actually have a snack bar inside.

I echo the same satisfaction for the lack of emissions and other inspections in FL.

I think they need to do something about the elderly who are really at the end of their fitness to drive though. And I think they should have a more thorough testing procedure for obtaining a license. When I got mine, I didn't even leave the parking lot. Just had to do a three point turn, drive around the parking lot, do a quick stop, and park. There wasn't road testing. I don't know if my case applies to others, but there are a lot of new drivers who are dangerous along with the elderly.

^ Yeah the "non-op" registration requirement and subsequent fines to register a car that sat for five years under someone else's watch sounds epically lame.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
In Michigan I registered my classic car with an same-year plate for a one-time fee of $35. This is valid for as long as I own my car. I'm going on ten years with this registration.
That is a great deal. I thought that technically you were only supposed to use it do drive to and from various car shows, but with as many car shows as there are in SE Michigan in the summer, that would be easy to verify.

My brother has one of those one time historic plates up in Wisconsin for his '63 T-bird.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul

and as any good business, offers quite a variety of plate designs at extra cost. I would think it should drive the police nuts that the plates are not all the same color.

I've wondered about that for a long time. It wasn't all that long ago that you could easily determine the state from a distance. When I was a kid, I can remember my dad buying us a book of license plates stickers from each state. Every time we saw a new plate, we'd peel the sticker and put it into the log book. It was a fun break from playing the alphabet game for hours at at a time.

Today, there are so many different types of plates, often with dealer trims around them, that it's incredibly difficult to determine what state a car is from. It's hard to read the specialty plates because the vertical numbers on the left are obstructed by the dealer plate. Then there are those hard to see through pieces of plastic that people put over their plates to obstruct them.

I really don't know how the police do it.

Originally Posted By: kb01

I really don't know how the police do it.

Maybe there already is a secret government mandated transmitter in every new car that the police can automatically get an alert if there is any issue with that vehicle.
shocked.gif
Then they don't need plates, but for the income to the state.

Also, I often see plates that are hard to read and look like someone purposefully marred them to obstruct the view, like some spray on dirt or something. I see too many like that for it to just be dirty plates, especially when the rest of the car is clean.

Md has pretty easy emission laws to get around, I like this aspect. Gov Owemalley keeps raising registration remewals tho. I only have to get a used car inspected once when you buy it, other states requiere yearly or bi-yearly inspections if I'm not mistaken. I can't complain too much about Md as far as vehicle ownership goes, gun ownership is another story......

One thing to add. It used to cost $10 or $15 to renew a license in FL. Then they more than quadrupled it in 2009. Now it's $48 to renew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back