How Cool is your state (motor vehicle law)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Illinois is probably a little above average.

DMV employees have been "retrained" in the last few years and aren't all miserable SOB's any more. Some of them are actually helpful. They will also send you a sticker for your license renewal if you've behaved. I've heard dealing with the SecofState office is a huge pain if you've lost your license and are trying to reinstate it. I don't know if that's good or bad....

Learning and obtaining your first license has completely changed over the last 10 years. It's a long process of earning new privileges like passengers allowed, night driving, and the like. The rules and bad driving consequences for young divers are really tough.

Emissions testing has gotten better, but they only test '95 and up with a OBD monitor. It's weird because the older cars are more likely the ones polluting. It's only an emissions test and not a complete walkthrough like some other states do.

Insurance is mandatory and only 20k/40k minimum. I think it should be more than that. The rates seem high to me, but when I read what others are paying, not so much.

Vehicle registration has more than doubled recently. I know some will think it's low, but it's pretty much $100/year/car.

The recently began allowing vehicle tint again, which is better. They still require two license plates, but that's never enforced. Other stuff like muffler noise, stereos, and "Ground Glow" laws are probably normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back