Cycle season help me pick a road bike womans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jamis makes really good bikes for the price you could look at them. Also see if at any local shops or online have any of last year's model they are getting rid of.

bikeforums.net was a good site; I used to hang out there.

BUT

I would let her pick it out. Not being sexist in any way. But would you buy shoes for her, or let her buy shoes for you? Shoes only touch your feet. Bicycles touch your feet, your bottom and then you have reach out to the handlebars. The fit of the bike is critical for one's comfort level--if you're not comfortable, you won't bike far.

General thoughts:

-look for a compact with a wide range on the back vs. a triple. 3 chainrings + short chainstays=headaches. The bike pictured, for instance, has a 34x32 low gear. That's an easier gear than most triples had 4 years ago, and it'll shift way better

-avoid old stock with the push button Sora shifters. Those things are horrible

-Brand won't matter much at this price point. It's a very competitive segment, and the bikes are more similar than different. All the big players have an $800.00 road bike-and they're all mostly the same. She should buy what looks cool!

-The law of diminishing returns doesn't set in until you get over $1,000. So, the difference between an $800.00 bike and a $500.00 bike is normally pretty significant. The difference between a $1,500 and $2,000--much less so.

Normally I'd say to explore used options, but in this segment bikes have gotten a lot better in the last couple of years: more upright positioned frames and much wider gearing. So, new may not be a bad way to go. I've visit some local shops and see what they have on hand. The shop will probably matter more than the brand, because these bikes are just SOOO similar.

Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
Isn't there a better site to post this question on? Not saying that you won't get any good answers here but, I would thing your question would be better suited on a "road bike" site. Just sayin

Well this is the BIKE section of the forum.

there are quite a few experienced people here.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
Jamis makes really good bikes for the price you could look at them. Also see if at any local shops or online have any of last year's model they are getting rid of.

I agree. Jamis. REI typically has women's bikes on sale too. At least in my area.

Originally Posted By: evandostert
Well the season it here. I am buying a nice road bike for the woman in my life.
What do you guys recommend for a nice bike for the money.
Hoping for alum frame/drop bars/sti shifters/700 tires triple crank can settle on a double if needed.

This is the winner so far hoping to find one under 500. Shopping the local shops I am at the 750 mark or more.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/dolce/dolce-compact

You don't have to limit your wife to "Women's Specific" models. It allows more options for her though.

Does she want a "race" geometry? Endurance Geometry?

Good point; women's specific IIRC attempted to get a shorter reach to the handlebars. Which won't be of much help if your women doesn't need that sizing. And of less help if she is like my wife, and hates "girly" paint schemes.

Bikes Direct is hit or miss. There are reviews online. I have not used them. Yet. Sometimes you get what you paid for. If you are handy with tools and want to learn bike mechanics, I'd say, go for it. If not you will wind up paying a local shop to do the tuneup, and to fix any issues, and you may find no cost savings in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back