Current oil comparisons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just joined and am working my way through the site. What sources are there for current, honest comparisons between commercial auto oils? Especially looking to compare synthetic blends and full synthetics. Yes, saw several posts that type III and type IV oils can be marketed as "full synthetics". How hard is it to get enough information to compare the oils I find in local stores & jobbers? Typically my OCI is 3K and always change the filter. Thanks.

2008 Sierra SE 1500 5.3L V8 16K (Royal Purple synthetic)
2006 Murano SL 3.5L V6 36K (5w30 Mobile1 synthetic)
2002 F-250 5.4L V8 99K (5w20 MOTO blend)
1999 Intrigue 3.8L V6 160K (5w30 Castrol SNYTEC Blend)
1998 Ranger 3.0L V6 170K (5w30 MOTO blend)
1996 Ranger 3.0L V6 200K (5w30 MOTO blend)
RIP:
1980 Malibu 3.8L V6 (229 CubicI) 249K [blew tranny end seal on way to junk yard]

You can find all the information you need on this site. I would go through the oil analysis posts as well as the passenger car motor oil section on here.

If you are changing your oil every 3000 miles, then a dino oil would be your best choice.

It looks like you are already using very good quality products and you have lots of room to extend your oil change intervals much longer. It should be safe to go at least to the maximum allowed by your various owner's manuals.

Although it is a good oil I would make sure that the Royal Purple has the correct certification for your 2008. You want to be sure your warantee won't be affected.

Hey, welcome to the forum.

Really, just read everything on here, but be careful cause it gets surprisingly addictive. I started out just lurking in the passenger car motor oil section to find the best oil to use for my car, now I go through all the oil forums, the filter forums, the UOA forums, maintenance forums, additive forums, sales/deals forums, etc etc etc.

Anyways, from what I've learned on here pretty much any certified SM/GF-4 oil can handle 3k miles oil change intervals (OCI). However, how far an oil can go has a lot of variables to it, mileage, usage (highway, city, towing, racing, etc), engine, weather conditions, etc, all affect the oil and how long it will last.

Start reading through the passenger car oil forums and the used oil analysis (UOA) forums to start getting a better idea of how long oils can go. Also, read the articles on here that explain oils and UOAs so that the numbers make more sense. Then start figuring out what works best for you, your vehicle, your driving style, and conditions where you live. And don't be afraid to ask questions, one thing I've noticed is that people here really enjoy the engine oil subject and b/c of that are very friendly and helpful to anyone who asks an honest question.

Lastly, I personally think it's very important to not vary from your manufacturer's suggestions (requirements) during the warranty period on your vehicle. I recently purchased a new car and will be using conventional oil in it simply b/c I have to change the oil every 4k miles to maintain my warranty. I'd rather spend the extra time and money to do an extra oil change each year, then to be stuck with a bill if anything ever went wrong. So keep that in mind when determining oil and OCI interval to use for your vehicles

Originally Posted By: ShadeTreeMech
Just joined and am working my way through the site. What sources are there for current, honest comparisons between commercial auto oils? Especially looking to compare synthetic blends and full synthetics. Yes, saw several posts that type III and type IV oils can be marketed as "full synthetics". How hard is it to get enough information to compare the oils I find in local stores & jobbers? Typically my OCI is 3K and always change the filter. Thanks.

2008 Sierra SE 1500 5.3L V8 16K (Royal Purple synthetic)
2006 Murano SL 3.5L V6 36K (5w30 Mobile1 synthetic)
2002 F-250 5.4L V8 99K (5w20 MOTO blend)
1999 Intrigue 3.8L V6 160K (5w30 Castrol SNYTEC Blend)
1998 Ranger 3.0L V6 170K (5w30 MOTO blend)
1996 Ranger 3.0L V6 200K (5w30 MOTO blend)
RIP:
1980 Malibu 3.8L V6 (229 CubicI) 249K [blew tranny end seal on way to junk yard]

welcome2.gif

Hey ShadeTreeMech Welcome to the board I see you're using pretty respectable lubricants.
One question on Royal Purple is it SM rated? over here in Canada I can only get SL version it even says "for 2005 and older vehicles"
Once again Welcome, you'll find all you need here on oils and a pretty cool bunch of oilmaniacs

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Unless you engine requires a synthetic oil, doing 3,000 mile oil change intervals makes syn oil unnecessary.

With the exception of cold weather...

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: Steve S
Unless you engine requires a synthetic oil, doing 3,000 mile oil change intervals makes syn oil unnecessary.

With the exception of cold weather...

...and that certainly won't be an issue from the OP since he's from the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Now you and I on the other hand
grin2.gif

WELCOME!!!

You will find all kinds of useful info on this site. When I joined here I changed my oil every 3k like many others. After a bunch of reading on here I changed my ways. I pretty much use dino and 5k intervals. I am actually going to try pennzoil platinum in the camry on the next oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back