Cummins to pay $1.67 billion environmental fine

Should be interesting watching the interaction between Stallantis and Cummins over the next little bit. Did Stellantis know about it or not is my question.

Certainly a big blow to diesel pickups, you'd better bet that GM and Ford are pulling their engineers into closed-door meetings and making sure they're on the right side of the fence.

Should be interesting watching the interaction between Stallantis and Cummins over the next little bit. Did Stellantis know about it or not is my question.

Certainly a big blow to diesel pickups, you'd better bet that GM and Ford are pulling their engineers into closed-door meetings and making sure they're on the right side of the fence.
pretty sure gm and ford got run through this gauntlet already.

"Truck engine maker Cummins Inc (CMI.N) has agreed in principle to pay a $1.675 billion fine for installing devices on hundreds of thousands of engines to allow them to emit excess pollution, the largest-ever civil penalty for a Clean Air Act violation, the U.S. Justice Department said on Friday...."

"The company has seen no evidence that anyone acted in bad faith and does not admit wrongdoing," Cummins said in a statement...."

Huh?

Bad reporting?

"Truck engine maker Cummins Inc (CMI.N) has agreed in principle to pay a $1.675 billion fine for installing devices on hundreds of thousands of engines to allow them to emit excess pollution, the largest-ever civil penalty for a Clean Air Act violation, the U.S. Justice Department said on Friday...."

"The company has seen no evidence that anyone acted in bad faith and does not admit wrongdoing," Cummins said in a statement...."

Huh?

Bad reporting?
Also here, needless repetition:
“RAM-owner Stellantis (STLAM.MI) declined to comment. The 960,000 vehicles have been recalled and the emissions control software will be updated, Cummins said, which previously took a $59 million charge for emissions recalls.

“Cummins previously took $59 million in charges to address the costs of the RAM and Titan recalls. Nissan did not immediately comment Friday.”

Huh?

Bad reporting?
Nolo Contendere, they’ll pay the fine but aren’t admitting to actually doing it.

Could one real reason be that after realistic/practical/maxed out performance boundaries were met, the manufacturers sought illegal means to offer more power + payload or more economy and simply got caught?

Could one real reason be that after realistic/practical/maxed out performance boundaries were met, the manufacturers sought illegal means to offer more power + payload or more economy and simply got caught?
Thats not the one I was thinking of.

The relationship between Stellantis and Cummins has always been contentious, and that was my experience from when I worked in the auto industry. Cummins is responsible for the emission certification, so I could see a situation where Stellantis didn't know. But Stellantis should have done more due diligence given how poor the relationship is and previous recalls because of failures on Cummins side.

Then could it be that diesel buyers demand more performance/efficiency than the technology can deliver and the poor, beleaguered manufacturers, in a desperate attempt to survive, simply cave in and offer "the products that America wants"?
No one wants to be duped and be more subject to health hazards. As for the buyers demanding more power It has more to do with Ford vs Cummins/Ram that pushed the envelope to "Out Tow" one another. They were playing a numbers game for several years now. If there's anything I've learned is that competition gets the big companies to do things that otherwise wouldn't happen.

No one wants to be duped and be more subject to health hazards. As for the buyers demanding more power It has more to do with Ford vs Cummins/Ram that pushed the envelope to "Out Tow" one another. They were playing a numbers game for several years now. If there's anything I've learned is that competition gets the big companies to do things that otherwise wouldn't happen.
In a properly tuned diesel the health hazards aren’t much to talk about. It’s not like they had a roll coal option.

More like the idiocy of trading tons of co2 for ppm of NOx caught up to everyone. And the vilification of diesel strikes again.

Back