Cummins to pay $1.67 billion environmental fine

Exactly, there is a difference between intentionally deceiving the agency, vs trying to work within the bounds and maybe getting it wrong or there being some miscommunication somewhere. At this point I don't think we have any evidence of the former, Cummins did not actually admit to doing anything wrong they're simply paying the fine to move on.

I have a hard time believing that any diesel company would take a chance on a defeat device/software after VW and Eco Diesel, but of course anything is possible.
This is my feeling too. From everything that I have seen, it doesn't feel like they were trying to deceive the EPA. Instead they made an engineering decision that they felt was within the regulations but wasn't actually within the regulations.

None of us will ever know the real story of this extortion effort. The Government is arm twisting all of the vehicle builders and has much more influence than people realize. Think about cylinder deactivation and stop start devices, does anyone really think the OEM's would put that junk on their vehicles willingly ? GM is just a toy for them to play with. I firmly believe that Cummins pushed back against Government interference and the ever moving targets they put in front of the builders and now they are being punished for it. You only need look at the appliance industry to see the effects that the heavy hand has brought to them. Unreliable junk that lasts only a few years. With corrupt people like Secretary Grandtheft in charge it was inevitable.

Back