FCA Fined $77 Million For Missing U.S. CAFE Fuel Economy Target

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by earlyre
Originally Posted by Skippy722
They make great large cars, trucks, and SUV's, which naturally don't lend themselves to stellar fuel economy.

"Fiat Chrysler Automobiles has revealed that it paid a $77 million civil penalty because its passenger cars built in the U.S. failed to meet required fuel economy targets for the 2016 model year.

Their Large Cars(300, Charger and Challenger)are built in Canada. Only the Crew and Double cab 1500 Trucks are built in MI, ALL of the other trucks( single cab 1500's, and everything larger) are made in Mexico.

"Production(Wikipedia)

Ram vehicles are manufactured at three facilities, two in North America and one in Europe.

Warren Truck Assembly, Warren, Michigan, United States. First opened in 1938, the facility has produced trucks for Dodge and Ram for over 70 years. Near the plant are also the Warren metal stamping plant, Mount Elliot tool and die plant which contribute parts and components to the manufacture of the Dakota and 1500 series. The following models are currently assembled at the plant: Ram 1500 series, all crew cab and double cab models for the global market are assembled here except for the Ram 1500 Laramie, which is built at both the Warren facility and Ram's Saltillo Assembly for the Mexican market.
Saltillo Truck Assembly, Saltillo, Mexico. The plant manufactures the full range of the Ram truck series as well as the DX Chassis cab and ProMaster van. The plant has won numerous awards and has been recognized as the Chrysler groups best truck facility in terms of build quality.[9] The Saltillo stamping plant is also attached to the facility.

The following models are built at the plant:

Ram 1500 all regular cab models of various trim levels sold globally are manufactured at the facility as is the crew cab Ram 1500 Laramie for the Mexican market.
Ram 2500 all models of various trim levels, cab type, and bed length. Vehicles built here are sold globally.
Ram 3500 all models of various trim levels, cab type, and bed length. Vehicles built here are sold globally.
Ram 4500 all models of various trim levels, cab type, and bed length. Vehicles built here are sold globally.
Ram 5500 all models of various trim levels, cab type, and bed length. Vehicles built here are sold globally.
DX Chassis Cab manufactured for the Mexican and Canadian markets only.
Ram ProMaster

Challenger, Charger, and 300 are made at the Brampton plant in Canada. Durango and Grand Cherokee in Michigan at the Jefferson plant like another poster said.

I already stated that the LX Cars(based on the LX,LC,LD,LA platforms) are Canadian built.

and indeed someone posted where the Larger SUV's are made.(MI)

I didn't want to take the time to breakdown where every model is made, I was just trying to point out that, per the article, the fine was for vehicles built in the US.
then you made the comment about the switch to Large cars/pickups, etc.

I was merely trying to illustrate that most of the pickups, and the LX Cars aren't made in the US, and therefore the fine shouldn't have anything to do with them.(neither should the Caravan,or Pacifica, as they're also Canadian)

Keep in mind this fine was for 2016, so it would include models such as the Dodge Durango, Jeep Grand Cherokee(Detroit,MI), Jeep Wrangler, Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Jeep Cherokee (Toledo,OH), Dodge Dart, Jeep Compass, Jeep Patriot (Belvidere, IL), and the a fore mentioned Ram 1500 Crew and Double Cab (Warren, MI)( Truck assembly since moved to Sterling Heights to retool Warren to build the Jeep Wagoneer, and some HD Trucks, and Cherokee Production has moved to Belvidere)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by earlyre
I already stated that the LX Cars(based on the LX,LC,LD,LA platforms) are Canadian built.

I swear the first time I read it and when I quoted it you had written Michigan instead of Canada.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Caravans are also built in Canada and aren't stellar on fuel.

What are you getting on the highway?

Now that we are in the thick of winter 21mpg. I'm doing mainly highway at the moment. In town it will be closer to 15mpg.
It's better in the milder weather. It has been 20F - 32F temperature range.

I reset the fuel economy numbers every time I fill up so I can track tank to tank.

Originally Posted by Kestas
We're talking about CAFE and fuel economy, not pollution. The two do not necessarily go hand in hand.

No kidding. I recall the Charger is an ULEV. (I know my Magnum was.)

I'm sure FCA priced that fine into their business plan years ago. I heard somewhere the current administration rolled back a few CAFE rules, but could never find info on it. I agree on pollution minimization for sure...hope some of the MPG things get pushed back or eliminated.

Originally Posted by Kira
"CAFE is dumb anyway. People are going to buy what they want."

We gotta have clean air. However it gets done is OK with me and a lot of other people I suspect.

Do you have a better way of creating downward pressure on pollutants? Let's hear it.

Actually, a significant amount of pollution is now coming from lawnmowers, barbecues, snow throwers, etc. Tailpipe emissions are clean.

The problem is the automotive industry is an easy and visible target for the EPA. So they continue squeezing the automotive industry to justify their empire. Vehicles are incredibly clean to the point that further squeezing them costs the automakers (and consumers) considerably more than any benefit we get from the new standards. Squeezing lawnmowers, snow throwers, chainsaws, and people with barbecues is difficult. But the EPA doesn't want to tackle that. Nobody wants to do a difficult job.

The EPA has done a wonderful job since 1970. Instead of squeezing the automotive industry further they should now shrink back and monitor what they've accomplished.

I know... we're talking about CAFE and not pollution. But I felt compelled to address this thought and put it in perspective.

I'm guessing Ford and GM each spent way more than 77 million dollars engineering vehicles to meet requirements.
Paying the fine is cheaper than meeting requirements. Cost of doing business.

Originally Posted by Kestas
Originally Posted by Kira
"CAFE is dumb anyway. People are going to buy what they want."

We gotta have clean air. However it gets done is OK with me and a lot of other people I suspect.

Do you have a better way of creating downward pressure on pollutants? Let's hear it.

Actually, a significant amount of pollution is now coming from lawnmowers, barbecues, snow throwers, etc. Tailpipe emissions are clean.

The problem is the automotive industry is an easy and visible target for the EPA. So they continue squeezing the automotive industry to justify their empire. Vehicles are incredibly clean to the point that further squeezing them costs the automakers (and consumers) considerably more than any benefit we get from the new standards. Squeezing lawnmowers, snow throwers, chainsaws, and people with barbecues is difficult. But the EPA doesn't want to tackle that. Nobody wants to do a difficult job.

The EPA has done a wonderful job since 1970. Instead of squeezing the automotive industry further they should now shrink back and monitor what they've accomplished.

I know... we're talking about CAFE and not pollution. But I felt compelled to address this thought and put it in perspective.

Yes, the biggest offender is large shipping freighters but they must have an awseome group of lobbyists.

Originally Posted by 555
I'm guessing Ford and GM each spent way more than 77 million dollars engineering vehicles to meet requirements.

Selling cars people want while paying the fines is better than selling cars Nobody wants with no fines.

Originally Posted by mbacfp
Originally Posted by 555

Selling cars people want while paying the fines is better than selling cars Nobody wants with no fines.

Precisely. They had the Dart and 200. Didn't sell well (and they should have renamed the 2nd gen 2015+ 200 something else) so they got the axe. I had high hopes for the Dart and was let down... the 200 with the v6 though is a great sleeper car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back