EPA Going After Fiat Chrysler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lucky me got a Patriot rental to airport ... FCA failed to install:
Power, handling, noise suppression, styling, fit/finish ...

I said recently there should be only two Jeep products (3 if the truck works out) and focus on making those better.
115 miles in that rig solidified that position for sure.

Originally Posted By: john6974332
The real crime is the unreliability of Chrysler vehicles.

I was in a Chrysler 200C as a Lyft a while ago, even a modern Hyundai had better fit and finish.

The only Chrysler product I remotely like is the 300C.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Pretty soon failing to disclose to the EPA how many times you breathe everyday will result in hefty fines and jail time.

I had to cut back on my beans; I was facing fines.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

As for the rest of the lineup other than your "drool worthy" machines... have you COUNTED the number of v6 LX/LC cars, Grand Cherokees, 4 and v6 Cherokees on the road lately? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that sales of the LX/LC cars (300, Charger, Challenger) hit an all-time high in 2016 and it wasn't the "drool-worthy" muscle versions that carried the bulk of sales.

Yes and considered a JGC for my latest fleet addition. My buddies poor experience with his JGC and significant time spent on Jeep/ Chrysler forums convinced me to spend my money elsewhere. A friend with a 2014 JGC diesel also convinced me to look elsewhere. The check engine light has been taped over on her car iirc. Cause the dealer can't fix the darn thing long enough to ever have it off for more than 2 days.
So, 2 reasons - poor reliability for FCA products and when the vehicle is brought to dealer, they are clueless on the fix.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Lucky me got a Patriot rental to airport ... FCA failed to install:
Power, handling, noise suppression, styling, fit/finish ...

I said recently there should be only two Jeep products (3 if the truck works out) and focus on making those better.
115 miles in that rig solidified that position for sure.

I agree. They should have the Wrangler, the Grand Cherokee, and the truck if it ever comes out. Not sure what all those other things are.

Me personally, I say screw the EPA. They are on an automotive witch-hunt. Whining about how older style gas cars and diesels are bad m'kay, but the stupid tree hugger hybrids and electric golf cart cars are just dandy. Don't they realize that the manufacturing of the batteries for the stupid things is more harmful than regular old fashioned exhaust. Besides most of the pollution in the air isn't from cars, it's from factories and power plants.......

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Here's the EPA Release:

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) today issued a notice of violation to Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V. and FCA US LLC (collectively FCA) for alleged violations of the Clean Air Act for installing and failing to disclose engine management software in light-duty model year 2014, 2015 and 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokees and Dodge Ram 1500 trucks with 3.0 liter diesel engines sold in the United States. The undisclosed software results in increased emissions of nitrogen oxides (NOx) from the vehicles. The allegations cover roughly 104,000 vehicles. EPA is working in coordination with the California Air Resources Board (CARB), which has also issued a notice of violation to FCA. EPA and CARB have both initiated investigations based on FCA’s alleged actions.

“Failing to disclose software that affects emissions in a vehicle’s engine is a serious violation of the law, which can result in harmful pollution in the air we breathe,” said Cynthia Giles, Assistant Administrator for EPA’s Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance. “We continue to investigate the nature and impact of these devices. All automakers must play by the same rules, and we will continue to hold companies accountable that gain an unfair and illegal competitive advantage.”

“Once again, a major automaker made the business decision to skirt the rules and got caught,” said CARB Chair Mary D. Nichols. “CARB and U.S. EPA made a commitment to enhanced testing as the Volkswagen case developed, and this is a result of that collaboration.”

The Clean Air Act requires vehicle manufacturers to demonstrate to EPA through a certification process that their products meet applicable federal emission standards to control air pollution. As part of the certification process, automakers are required to disclose and explain any software, known as auxiliary emission control devices, that can alter how a vehicle emits air pollution. FCA did not disclose the existence of certain auxiliary emission control devices to EPA in its applications for certificates of conformity for model year 2014, 2015 and 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokees and Dodge Ram 1500 trucks, despite being aware that such a disclosure was mandatory. By failing to disclose this software and then selling vehicles that contained it, FCA violated important provisions of the Clean Air Act.

FCA may be liable for civil penalties and injunctive relief for the violations alleged in the NOV. EPA is also investigating whether the auxiliary emission control devices constitute “defeat devices,” which are illegal.

In September 2015, EPA instituted an expanded testing program to screen for defeat devices on light duty vehicles. This testing revealed that the FCA vehicle models in question produce increased NOx emissions under conditions that would be encountered in normal operation and use. As part of the investigation, EPA has found at least eight undisclosed pieces of software that can alter how a vehicle emits air pollution.

FCA US LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V., a multinational corporation.
There's multi lira to be extracted from car companies over this business.

Originally Posted By: wheelman1991
Don't they realize that the manufacturing of the batteries for the stupid things is more harmful than regular old fashioned exhaust. Besides most of the pollution in the air isn't from cars, it's from factories and power plants.......

A iPhone is much more harmful to the environment than an hybrid/electric car - because there's more of them and at least for cars there is a "closed loop" to deal with them at EOL, while someone will simply toss electronics into a landfill or worse, take it to a "recycler" but it winds up in India or parts of Africa to be stripped of copper, lead and other things.

A lot of emissions regulations, agree with them or not are because of population. Why do states have emissions inspections in urban areas, while rural areas don't?

One thing Chrysler has done incredibly well - the Pentastar engine family.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Danno
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

As for the rest of the lineup other than your "drool worthy" machines... have you COUNTED the number of v6 LX/LC cars, Grand Cherokees, 4 and v6 Cherokees on the road lately? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that sales of the LX/LC cars (300, Charger, Challenger) hit an all-time high in 2016 and it wasn't the "drool-worthy" muscle versions that carried the bulk of sales.

Yes and considered a JGC for my latest fleet addition. My buddies poor experience with his JGC and significant time spent on Jeep/ Chrysler forums convinced me to spend my money elsewhere. A friend with a 2014 JGC diesel also convinced me to look elsewhere. The check engine light has been taped over on her car iirc. Cause the dealer can't fix the darn thing long enough to ever have it off for more than 2 days.
So, 2 reasons - poor reliability for FCA products and when the vehicle is brought to dealer, they are clueless on the fix.

She should see another dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back